Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Beige Bargain Bucket

mongdeo

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,540 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

Do it.

This one was so cheap that if anything major goes wrong I'll just push it into the harbour, or something.
What will my next car be? Who knows! A £200 Peugeot 205? Yeah, why not?

#62 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,540 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

Today, it also got some attention from 17-Coffees' detailing service. As posted in News 24. He basically has a heap of cleaning products he won in a raffle or something last summer, and is borrowing his parents' power washer too.

IMG_5122.JPG

IMG_5124.JPG

We cleaned the worst of the grime out of the interior too. When I whacked the driver's floor mat with a brush I think I contracted tuberculosis / AIDS / ebola.

Visible in the background of the first photo is his Abarth, his LS400, and the garage our legendary* 316i now lives in.
  • The Moog, Shep Shepherd, Craig the Princess and 3 others like this

#63 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,540 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

Throttle cable bodged with the help of a washer.

The horrible slack has been removed, so no more almost-stalling it at low speeds, and much smoother gear changes are now possible. Lovely.

IMG_20170913_181312.jpg
  • Heidel_Kakao, Lacquer Peel, rantingYoof and 2 others like this

#64 OFFLINE   Rave

Rave

• Full Members
  • 430 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationSE London

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:53 PM

Very nice. I've had a 3.0 Ghia X estate for the last 5 years and it's not caused me much trouble in 24,000 miles, in fact the only major expense was a new clutch and slave cylinder which cost me £400 fitted. I wish mine had a beige interior though, and TBH I don't rate the wood effect plastic steering wheel, it gets sweaty on hot days (the aircon on mine has never worked).

It wasn't just the ST220 and STTDCi that came with 18" alloys, the Zetec-S came with some (IMO lovely looking) 18" multispoke faux split rims. I'd like some, but there's plenty of life left in my current 17" Goodyears and IMO the ride isn't all that brilliant on them anyway, so I won't bother unless I spot some irresistably cheap ones.

#65 ONLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 3,782 posts
  • 17 thanks

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:00 PM

Who the fuck chops wiring near the reverse light switch for parking sensors?!

That is fucking madness. 

Wouldn't surprise me if the sensors actually work fine if you wire them properly.

2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
1997 R Rover 216 Cabriolet

#66 OFFLINE   rantingYoof

rantingYoof

Knobhead S60 wanker

• Full Members
  • 1,432 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

Very nice. I've had a 3.0 Ghia X estate for the last 5 years and it's not caused me much trouble in 24,000 miles, in fact the only major expense was a new clutch and slave cylinder which cost me £400 fitted. I wish mine had a beige interior though, and TBH I don't rate the wood effect plastic steering wheel, it gets sweaty on hot days (the aircon on mine has never worked).

It wasn't just the ST220 and STTDCi that came with 18" alloys, the Zetec-S came with some (IMO lovely looking) 18" multispoke faux split rims. I'd like some, but there's plenty of life left in my current 17" Goodyears and IMO the ride isn't all that brilliant on them anyway, so I won't bother unless I spot some irresistably cheap ones.

If I see a pre tax hike 3.0 Ghia X estate for sale it'll take unverified quantities of will power to resist...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
  • Lacquer Peel likes this

Cure for insomnia #57812: rantingYoof's Historic Car Fleet Information History...Thing

Proud to be the 'first' owner of Mason, the 1995 LS400 Mk4 that now thinks its a Goona.

Now becoming the new 'Autoshite Bike'...320Touring is the latest lucky dawg to sample V8 smoothness.

#67 OFFLINE   Rave

Rave

• Full Members
  • 430 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationSE London

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:10 AM

If I see a pre tax hike 3.0 Ghia X estate for sale it'll take unverified quantities of will power to resist...

You don't see many, for sure. The previous owner of mine was Thames Valley Police, who've helpfully fucked around with loads of the wiring. Nothing I need so badly I can be bothered to fix it, though.

#68 ONLINE   Aston Martin

Aston Martin

• Full Members
  • 818 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHull

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:34 AM

If I remember correctly, the garage time for spark plug changes are about 4 hours. (Xtype anyway)
  • rantingYoof likes this
<p>1993 Fiat Panda Parade
2016 Cactus

If you're going to have a funky car, have it in a funky colour.

#69 OFFLINE   Rave

Rave

• Full Members
  • 430 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationSE London

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:48 AM

I changed the plugs on mine for no other reason than I didn't know when they were last done. Turned out they were fine but I did them anyway. Access to the rear bank requires the removal of the inlet manifold, which in turn requires the removal of the bulkhead brace thing behind it. It's a fiddly job but it only took me about 4 hours because I'm incompetent.

Edit: there's really not much room in the engine bay, though. The alternator has to come out through the wheel arch. I've done that too, only takes about 45 minutes once you know what you're doing.

• Aston Martin likes this

#70 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,540 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:34 PM

Small question re: tracking and alignment.

The Mondeo pulls to the left slightly on some road surfaces, to the point I have the wheel a couple of degrees to the right to go straight ahead. Just a tiny bit, mind. It's not like it's violently pulling or anything like that.

On other road surfaces it's perfectly fine.

I'm wondering whether it's worth getting the tracking looked at or if it's just more sensitive to surfaces than the Xantia was.

#71 OFFLINE   17-Coffees

17-Coffees

• Full Members
  • 446 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationAberdeen.

Posted Yesterday, 03:44 AM

You think every car you have needs the tracking done... :P

So the other day I had the pleasure of getting a lift in the Beige Bucket for a few miles, collecting a few mates before getting a carry out. Then heading to the pub...
IMG_4030.JPG
Its a really comfy car, better than the Xantia in my eyes!
Only thing with the car, and I feel it's the same problem I have with my LS400. You get the odd funny look because people see the car, and then the driver is not what they expect.
It's not a bad thing that though!
  • Lacquer Peel likes this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I did a 1000 round trip to drink & help push cars out of a muddy field, 10/10 would do again!" 

-Summery of Shitefest 2016. 

The Fleet:

- The HMS LexBarge, 2000 Lexus LS400. 

- 'Shed IV', 1995 BMW 316i. (Co-owned with Supernaut)

Other's not on here:

- 2015 Abarth 595

- 2000 Honda Civic Aerodeck

- 1994 Suzuki Cappuccino

#72 OFFLINE   rantingYoof

rantingYoof

Knobhead S60 wanker

• Full Members
  • 1,432 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 06:49 AM

That interior is swank.

The Xantia had a certain Frenchness to it and the seats were amazing, but the Ghia X trim level is what makes me lust.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
  • Supernaut likes this

Cure for insomnia #57812: rantingYoof's Historic Car Fleet Information History...Thing

Proud to be the 'first' owner of Mason, the 1995 LS400 Mk4 that now thinks its a Goona.

Now becoming the new 'Autoshite Bike'...320Touring is the latest lucky dawg to sample V8 smoothness.

#73 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,540 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted Yesterday, 04:49 PM

BANGIN' ICE now installed.

Bass and loudness adjusted according to AC/DC - Big Gun.

IMG_20170918_174431.jpg

The original 6 CD changer in the car still worked fine, and it had a 3.5mm line-in in the glovebox, but it was recalcitrant when loading CDs, and I had this radio with a USB port lying about (after removing it from the Xantia). It just cost me £11 for the fascia adapter, wiring adapter and removal keys all in one package. I've lost the steering wheel controls, but I've gained 32GB of music on shuffle, so... I'm happy with that trade-off.
  • Shep Shepherd likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users