Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Beige Bargain Bucket - Crunchy Electric Window :(

mongdeo

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 OFFLINE   Ghosty

Ghosty

Some people get all the breaks...

• Full Members
  • 6,082 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationManchester

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

Is it not possible to swap the badge over?

1987 Volvo 740 GLE

My name is Max!

#92 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,741 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

Is it not possible to swap the badge over?

The badge seems rather difficult to swap over, whereas the entire grille is held in with several clips. No tools required at all.

Today, I felt well enough to drive, so I went to the scrappy for a wander about. I found a 56 reg Mondeo Zetec with a perfect condition grille and badge. Thus:

22425954_10212019505657870_2010651968_o.jpg

It's subtly different to the Ghia X spec grille that came off. The 'mesh' in this grille is more open, as in fewer but larger holes.

This is also the first time I've driven it since I drilled extra holes in the air box. You wouldn't notice if you didn't know what it sounded like before, but it's just a tiny bit deeper on the induction noise without being silly. I like it. I am fully aware it probably doesn't release any extra ponies. I just wanted it to sound slightly better when I pressed the throttle.
  • shumarialto and Hooli like this

#93 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,741 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted Today, 12:35 PM

Hmm.

IMG_20171022_125203.jpg

Opened the driver's window earlier, when I tried to close it, it only went so far then made some crunchy noises. Wouldn't go back either.

I managed to open up the door and put the window back, but now the motor only runs a short distance in each direction then meets resistance and stops. The metal cables attached to the windows seem loose too. There are two vertical rails, one at the front of the door, one at the back. Initially the cable in the rear one was loose, but after faffing with the motor a bit, the rear one is tight and now the front one is loose. No movement from the window itself though.

Help!

#94 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,958 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted Today, 12:49 PM

It's fucked mate...

Without taking the whole lot out I can't offer any advice as I don't know these cars. Probably easier to replace the whole mech than try to fix it though.

#95 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,741 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted Today, 01:06 PM

Aye, I found this thread:

http://www.talkford....lectric-window/

and this part:

http://www.ebay.co.u...ucAAOSwQJ5USi4U

Guess what I'll be doing next weekend.

Just put a full tank in the fucker, too.
Meh, it's still driveable, just can't open/close the driver's window. It's not the worst problem to have.

#96 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,844 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted Today, 01:17 PM

Cheaper solution.

https://www.screwfix...CFdQT0wodnwMPZg
  • Supernaut and Hooli like this
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#97 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,958 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted Today, 01:21 PM

Ahh I can tell an ex-renault owner!

#98 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,741 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted Today, 01:29 PM

Well, the car is secured and weathertight for now, so my tactic is to not touch it until I'm ready to fix it.

Lucky that I walk to work!

My plan is to drive it out to the parents' farm next weekend and spend the day working on it in a barn. Hopefully it won't take all day (thread on TalkFord says a couple of hours) but I just hate working on cars outside in shitty weather.

From what I've seen inside the door and heard from the noises it's making, it seems like the cables have snapped. According to the TalkFord thread it's a fairly common thing on Mk3 Mondeos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users