SCRAPPIDGE and my local scrapyard

..........they are less than impressed. I asked the boss today where the big piles of scrappage victims were. "Oh, we're not getting any. They all go to Government approved places. We've only been here for 40 years, bend over backwards for H&S, do everything by the book and spent a fucking fortune on a depollution depot."I'm wondering then, where do all these cars go? A yard near you? And are the yards given the car FOC?

At work I'm based in a former new car showroom and still get some post for the dealership. Last week 'I' had a letter from some big metal recycling company telling me that scrappage was a wonderful opportunity for sales but that I must be concerned about how my forecourt could suddenly be filled with 'hazardous waste products' and that they were just the people to deal with this immense 'hazard'.So it seems that any yard that can issue a certificate of destruction can deal with it but depends on who the dealers use and I'm fairly sure the yards still pay the dealers for them, otherwise it would be great for their business what with all the free metal they'd be getting and all.

Was speaking to the owner of a yard on friday, there not bothereing with it. Its too much hassle for them, they have to pay 150 quid for each vehicle, they have to make the vehicle unroadworthy, and they then have to take pictures proving that the vehicle has been made unroadworthy and send off to whoever the interested party is. DVLA? VOSA? cant remember what he said.

Was speaking to the owner of a yard on friday, there not bothereing with it. Its too much hassle for them, they have to pay 150 quid for each vehicle, they have to make the vehicle unroadworthy, and they then have to take pictures proving that the vehicle has been made unroadworthy and send off to whoever the interested party is. DVLA? VOSA? cant remember what he said.

Just one question based on the part of this quote '...they have to make the vehicle unroadworthy...'.A number of Citroen and Fiat dealers near me have been offering the 'Scrappage' allowance against new cars and the usual t&c's apply. But in the small print in the bottom of the ad, some of them stipulate that the car must be MOT'd, taxed and insured :shock: ... why is this essential as the cars are only going to the scrapper anyway (or are they?) ??

Anybody know whether these scrappage-trade-in motors get automatically cubed/flattened by the approved yard in question, or are they stacked/stripped for parts? I assumed it was the former, but an article in this month's Car Mechanics (by the normally very-reliable Peter Simpson) seems to indicate the latter.

The wording of a Citroen dealer boss I spoke to last week was "the car must be scrapped within a week if the dealer is to get their money." What I'm not yet 100% on is what is meant by scrapped. As you say, it could be that the cars get stashed and can yield parts, or it could be that they're simply sent to the huge car-eating yards (like the one in Swansea I think it is) where the whole lot is pretty much shredded.

So it seems that any yard that can issue a certificate of destruction can deal with it

Apparently not. The Guvvmint have appointed a few yards to deal with the drama of it all. My local yards issues destruction certificates, buys Cat B breakers etc, but they can't buy any Scrappidge victims.

Dutton Forshaw Citroen have a tidy (if you ignor all the fresh boot marks and dents all over every single pannel) Rover 218D outside emblazoned with the usual "yor ol knacka is worf 2 grand orf a Citroen" - why they had to kick seven shades of shit out of it first is beyond me.

Guest Tony Hayers

or it could be that they're simply sent to the huge car-eating yards (like the one in Swansea I think it is) where the whole lot is pretty much shredded.

Do you mean Sims metals in Briton Ferry?