Alfa 159. It's finally made it.

The Reverend Bluejeans

Colleague has an in-a-state 159 derv. He's into cars, and the 159 is the first AR he's ever owned.

He can't speak highly enough of it during his couple of months of ownership so far.

Long* may the reliability last. Lovely looking cars and those interiors look a decent place to be.

At every Alfa lauch party, there is this "oh, Alfa finally has a Golf/Audi/BMW/[enter your own miserable Eurotosh here] beater!" and you go yeah, right.

I bet the BMW guys really looked up and were worried there for a nanosecond when the 159 was launched, uhuh, then reverted to counting their money.

The 159 did to me what each and every new Alfa Rome hitherto did to me. It goes a bit like this:

The Junkman sees the new Alfa in a magazine.

The Junkman, full of enthusiasm, goes to the launch party.

The Junkman test drives the new Alfa.

The Junkman goes home, crestfallen.

The Junkman buys some old non Alfa chod.

This has now been slightly changed for the first time. I just bought a P6 without being arsed to go to the Giulia launch party first.

So where were we? 999 you say?

But it's a godforsaken 4 banger with a DIY box, so too marginal a step up from the Beelzebub not really powered one.

Please wake me up when there is one in Junkman spec available.

At every Alfa lauch party, there is this "oh, Alfa finally has a Golf/Audi/BMW/[enter your own miserable Eurotosh here] beater!" and you go yeah, right.

I bet the BMW guys really looked up and were worried there for a nanosecond when the 159 was launched, uhuh, then reverted to counting their money.

The 159 did to me what each and every new Alfa Rome hitherto did to me. It goes a bit like this:

The Junkman sees the new Alfa in a magazine.

The Junkman, full of enthusiasm, goes to the launch party.

The Junkman test drives the new Alfa.

The Junkman goes home, crestfallen.

The Junkman buys some old non Alfa chod.

This has now been slightly changed for the first time. I just bought a P6 without being arsed to go to the Giulia launch party first.

So where were we? 999 you say?

But it's a godforsaken 4 banger with a DIY box, so too marginal a step up from the Beelzebub not really powered one.

Please wake me up when there is one in Junkman spec available.

You can get them with a v6, slushbox and 4x4 system knocked up out of old biscuit tins you know?

I saw the 159 at the OGP at the Nurburgring in 2006 and brought a few brochures back for Black and White Garage, for whom I worked as an Alfa person 33 years ago. They were launched in Englandshire a while later.

Black and White near Newbury? They used to have a very nice SZ there.

They do have rotten subframes. Apparently the factory stopped production of them in the first year to sort out quality as the first cars had some quality issues.

Even though the diesel is a Vauxhall engine it has one important addition in the 159.

BOOST GAUGE. Adds an extra 100bhp

maxresdefault.jpg

I'd never seen an SZ before until  I saw their one, and followed it all the way to the B&W garage for a closer look.

The garage was selling Fiat 500s and other small stuff last time I went past it, though I'm sure they were still selling the Alfa's up until 3/4 years back. I think the guy who used to run it when it was the Alfa place is still about, as I occasionally see the SZ at local car shows.

The Alfa franchise ran from 1979 till around 1993 when the shower of shit then running Alfa GB decided to have a purge, binning all the good small dealers and replacing them with bigger dealerships that never materialised. Smart move. Octav Botnar of AFG was involved and there were a few in the North East that went belly up in months.

B&W became a non franchised Alfa dealer and ran until about 2010. I think Alan Lindsay who ran the place (sales manager) retired and Darren moved on - there were only two of them in the showroom and a couple of mechanics at the end. James Wheeler whose father (Duncan iirc) owned it all used the premises for selling classic Alfa stuff for a bit but it's now just a used car place. The time will come at some point when it'll be flattened and houses built - that's very valuable bit of land.

It would be a pity - I started going there in summer 1983 as a youth, cleaning cars and learning all about Alfasuds and stuff. I did weekend car sales there in 1996/7 when the 155 and 164 were still current.

Just had a chap bring a Diseasal one into us. It's got a scrape down one side, and is in a nasty grey colour with red leather. It's done 139k and doesn't wear it well at all. We paid £925 for it.

Drove it for a test run and it has left me decidedly underwhelmed. Crap turning circle - which I assume it inherited from the 156, Grumbly diesel doesn't suit it, and it does feel quite cheap and nasty.

Shame, as for the Bond connection, I've also fancied a Black 159 for a while.

IIRC they did do a Bond special edition 159Ti but these seem to hold money quite well.

Why do people like Alfas?

They have weird, buck-toothed faces and break down all the time.

[Checks what website he's on]

Ah, OK... as you were.

Not been brave enough to try an Alfa yet I've run both Ivecos and P38s as dailys in the past...

There does seem to loads around in BG though, same as Lagunas

Maybe they're so cheap here they can be thrown away once things get terminal

Off to investigate

My first car was supposed to be a red Alfa 146TI, my plan was to borrow my sisters car the next day and drive the 100 miles to see it. The online car checks came back fine, but to humour myself I googled the company selling it.

Boycie was HR Owen in comparison, I still have the pics of the red beauty on my PC somewhere. :(