Range Rover replacement

Stevebrookman

As mentioned in the grumpy column-my Range Rover has shit the bed. It needs the BeCM computer and engine ECU sent off to be unlocked. Fellow who was going to have a look on the weekend didn't bother.

I've had the car 11 years so one FTP is not too bad. Wife wants me to change-but I don't want to go more modern-I would like the later shape L322 but modern cars have started to get me worried - jammed with computers  and other things! (Ps-my degree is electronics-but you need to be a whizz with microprocessors these days).

So I'm looking at going backwards and have spotted these two machines for example (will have to get present Rangy working first).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Range-Rover-Classic-2-5-Classic-auto-Vogue-SE-TDi/272820485190?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

sx8n4s2.jpg

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-Vogue-Classic-1994-300tdi/232448251024?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

kRuZmrI.jpg

Any thoughts/advice/commiserations greatly appreciated.

Steve

I wouldn't say going older was a bad idea at all. Simplicity is king, fuck all that stupid electronic shit off!

If you pick a good car and look after it there's no reason why it'd not work out.

I must say, the white one looks great! I'm not really a fan of white cars but that does look bloody good.

Range Rovers, to my untrained eye look either fantastic (like the ones pictured) or utterly crap.

I think it is all to do with the stance.

Some sit nice and straight and level where others are all uneven wheel arch gaps and look all baggy and loaping. And not at all attractive.

A good one, maintained, could be a car for life if you can stand the fuel cost.

They look like two soft dash classics? if so they were always the most desirable ones when I was into green oval junk. I'd get both then you've got a spare in case of FTP & tell ya missus it's an investment.

Yep, they're soft dash models.

I'm not sure a RR represents good value for money, though, when an almost-identical Discovery with essentially the same engine, running gear and interior can be had for less than a third of the price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-Land-Rover-Discovery-300tdi-2-5-diesel-manual-/272821779435?hash=item3f8571fbeb:g:kqMAAOSwzb9ZocDD

... leaving plenty of money left over for a new seat diaphragm, a recon gearbox (if desired) and a blow-over respray (if desired) :-)

Rot and decrepitude is part of the 'experience'.   It's why there are huge shows for Land Rover enthusiasts to buy bits at and none for Land Cruisers!

For example, last time I drove my Defender, the drivers window regulator mechanism came apart and I had to stop for 30 minutes to get the glass back in the channel.  Hurrah.  What a splendid hobby.  :mad:

Best ensure the white one's not ex-Jimmy Saville.

Be very careful with old Rangies, they're as good at hiding rot as the BBC of hiding Jimmys shenanigans, and where it's all been addressed to keep an MOT man happy it's usually only scratched the surface. The last ones were far worse, I don't get why, maybe cats were sneaking in and pissing on them before painting.

Best ensure the white one's not ex-Jimmy Saville.

Be very careful with old Rangies, they're as good at hiding rot as the BBC of hiding Jimmys shenanigans, and where it's all been addressed to keep an MOT man happy it's usually only scratched the surface. The last ones were far worse, I don't get why, maybe cats were sneaking in and pissing on them before painting.

Yep-always the later ones look completely shot.

Stever

Mine was a 95 soft dash and had gone everywhere they usually do. When my mate gave it the big thumbs down I looked at a few others and they were all as bad as each other so I got him to do the work. It has to be said that, especially if you could do the work yourself it is worth it as they are starting to make serious ££££ now.

If I was after one again, I'd repeat this and get one from somewhere hot.  http://autoshite.com/topic/22718-the-lone-rangers-trans-euro-solihull-shitters-collectiondelivery/  I know Discos are the same underneath but they do fuck all for me, each to their own (/badgesnob)