HMS Never to be Finished - Posh content

Roobarb

Sorry, but I just don't understand why you are doing what you are doing.

Why did you pull the pedal box? Why did you remove the bitumen from the floor? Why did you remove the skid plate?

Why did you pull the tank? All this appears to be completely unneccessary to me. It all looks alright to me.

I'd have left it well alone. Is it really only me whom it looks alright for?

Junkman, you make a good point.

Out here there is no MOT but I can guarantee that the car wouldn't have passed if there was one.

I'm trying to completely rebuild the car, so it will last me for a few years. I didn't need to pull the bitumen as there is no MOT, but I wanted to see how good or bad the floor is. I'm glad I did as it's in the early stages of becoming a basket case. Light rust starting and a couple of minor holes.

My aim is to turn it back around and have something that can last another 30+ years and have some fun while I'm doing it. :D

To completely redo the floor, I need to pull the pedal box. The bushings in it needed to be fixed anyway for the clutch pedal, so out it came. (Bushings on order). To get the pedal box out, you have to get to the other side of the floor, as the bolts are welded to the assembly and the nuts are on the outside.

Cars built after 73 have a skid plate underneath to stop damage and corrosion to the brake master cylinder and some of the steering components. The pedal box is linked to the brake master cylinder and share the bolts and nuts.

It does feel a little like falling down the rabbit hole as to move one thing, another thing has to be fixed. I'm hoping that if I get to the end of this, it will be a keeper, so I want it to be pretty reasonably sorted and I can't afford to buy what I would like, so I'm trying to make it. Not only that, but playing on a car that doesn't have a deadline (I don't need to finish it to drive to work on Monday) is a great break from the routine and stresses of everyday life :D

***BREAKING NEWS***

Big hammer 1, amazingly strong roll pin 0!

In the end, drilling the center of the pin to find a strong location for a punch (killing the edge on two drill bits) and then big hammer seemed to do the trick.

Wish the whole car was made of the stuff. Wow, that really was fun!

.post-20944-0-21203100-1507481233_thumb.jpg

Didn't stop me from ordering a drill press and the vice of my dreams last night

How hard would it be to backdate this a year or two?

Is it just bumpers and a flat engine cover?

Or do you need new wings.

1.JPG

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO 

What every overpaid polo neck wearing wanker called Lucien has is a fucking slim bumper 2.4S or another bastard RS lookalike. Fuxake. Imagination required.

A G/H series (73-75 impact bumper) 2.7 is a rare thing now. The K Jet motor with 175 bhp was brisk, tractable and good on fuel. The 150 bhp base 911 wasn't shabby as they weigh bugger all. Restoring it to be a mint Zermatt silver slim body H Series 1975 911S, with or without the chrome bezel US lights is a fine plan. I'd personally colour change it to Viper green with SC rear wings, wider rear Fuchs and the RS ducktail so that it resembles the 1974/5 Carrera 2.7, the rare impact bumper car with all the 2.7 RS running gear (2.7 mechanical injection 210 bhp, RS suspension and brakes) but without the Classic and Sportscar Investment Look How Rich I Am connotations.

It was built with impact bumpers, that's how these should stay. It's as bad as wankers fitting Mark 1 Mini rear lights and grille to a later car. Just No.

I have a lot of love for this...

post-20944-0-80427900-1507488286_thumb.jpg

I've had it on my phone and iPad for forever!

But... I really like the narrow body style and have wanted one forever. Well, since I was mid teens and ended up with a string of beetles as I couldnt afford a 911 or 356.

Nothing is set yet, and the more I learn about the 2.7, the more I think it's going to stay.

I'm thinking of that with a nice set of carbs and a cam.

It's much lighter than the following engines. Just depends how brave I get restoring it.

Failing that I can buy myself a polo neck... :D

The green shrouding tells me it's an original 2.7 K Jet unit - the main issue with these was the head studs pulling out but these days they can be TimeSerted - not a bad plan regardless. They were magnesium crankcases iirc.

Please don't slim bumper it though. There's a charm about an early impact bumper car.

Very close. It is a 25th anniversary model, one of the first, built in mid '74.

It had the optional front spotlights but only one wing mirror.

Unfortunately the original anniversary interior is long gone. It didn't even come with the car.

You have certainly given me something to think about.

If the car had been halfway decent in the first place, it was going to look like this:post-20944-0-85777300-1507511523_thumb.pngpost-20944-0-25691200-1507511544_thumb.png

In fact, I missed selling my last car and buying this one (that I had my eye on) by a week.

That said, long hoods have always been a favorite...

I've got this week (evenings) and then I'm away for work for two weeks, so I will have more time to think, and more time to read my book about overhauling 911 engines (they use a 2.7 in that too!)

I inherited my Dad's 964 C4 6-7 years ago after he passed on, but elected to leave it in Canada and the family solicitor ended up buying it. That was a nice one, never rusty (the 964 with plastic arch liners was a massive step forward) and one of the first built in early 1989. It had a 993 motor fitted and it went like fuck. Guards red with black leather, it was a German market car so ready LHD for Canada where the registration process was a quick check, later the lights to the sidelights come on with the ignition (I think) and a rear number plate.

If it's a 1974, I guess you could rebuild it as a long bonnet car - it's only a year out. I just hate it when eighties cars get this treatment. The old ones do look good and late 1973 ones did have CIS (K Jet).

Just throw them off the scent by badging it as a 911E in brown.  :mrgreen:

post-3069-0-21208900-1507536356_thumb.jpg

If it's a 1974, I guess you could rebuild it as a long bonnet car - it's only a year out. I just hate it when eighties cars get this treatment. The old ones do look good and late 1973 ones did have CIS (K Jet).

Just throw them off the scent by badging it as a 911E in brown.  :mrgreen:

Brown 911 on Fuchs wheels! My dream spec.

Totally useless post, I know. :D

Ha ha ha. Brown with Fuchs eh!

Once upon a time, and if the car had been brown at some point, then maybe... but I have a 'thing' for white cars and I really like the color orange... not sure where that might lead me.

Still not 100% sure on long bonnet. Apparently someone is now making ABS impact bumpers that are about a small village lighter thank the US spec tat that was on my car.

The decision is still a very long way away yet though.

Still some welding, painting and panicing (over the engine and the electrics) to do yet! :D

Well my bargain window latch turned up.

I now know why it was so cheap!

At least I now have enough parts to copy to make a new pair for myself.

Think I will be making the screwed in, three screw section out of stainless too, as this one looks like it has the pox!

It makes the one I do have look good!

post-20944-0-78845700-1507611364_thumb.jpg

Well my bargain window latch turned up.

I now know why it was so cheap!

At least I now have enough parts to copy to make a new pair for myself.

Think I will be making the screwed in, three screw section out of stainless too, as this one looks like it has the pox!

It makes the one I do have look good!

attachicon.gifIMG_4983.JPG

Because Mazak, because monkey metal.

This is kind of floating my boat at the moment...attachicon.gifIMG_4704.JPG

Should I be buying that polo-neck now?

I'm thinking of a light weight version of that, with a nicely tuned 2.7 ticking away in the back. :D

You'd probably need to start with a better engine. The K Jet 2.7 was pretty low spec in terms of materials, a plodding engine. 

That white thing does nothing for me I'm afraid. Ditto all that Singer and PS Autoart stuff. Old Butzi got it right first time.