HMS Never to be Finished - Posh content

Roobarb

A friend of mine, successful small business man has bought a Guards Red 911 to help him relive his lost youth.

He had one years years ago and has wanted another one since.

We saw some at ACA but we were out bid.

A few days later he announced he had bought one but sent it straight to the bodyshop. The engine and box went off to be reconditioned.

He retrimmed the interior himself and an auto electrician went through it from one end to the other.

Last time I saw him, he gave me a guided tour of it, looked over his shoulder to see if his wife was in earshot and said quietly...

"Fuck Me I've spent a lot of money on it"

"Far far more than I meant to."

It is utterly mint though. :-)

Sh!t. I'm sure this is a money pit too... still you can't take it with you. Then again, you need to have it in the first place not to take with you.

Obviously the autoshite way is to restore it to its impact bumpered original state but I've seen some "less desirable" 911s been restored into a 73 rs 2.7 replicas- and even a fake seems to be worth a mint; though presumably that's difficult to do and parts are eye wateringly expensive too. sell the whaletail boot & wheels, bung in 1600cc of POWAH and make it into a 912 replica.

FTFY

Making some small steps forward.

post-20944-0-96199600-1504578390_thumb.jpg

The drivers side floor is almost completely de-tarred.

post-20944-0-78238800-1504578464_thumb.jpg

Passenger side is pretty tar free now too.

Started ripping the fur off the back, but still need to scrape the residue off.

A good bikini wax in' is in order I think :D

post-20944-0-66474800-1504578590_thumb.jpg

I managed to get the gas tank free too, just need to extract it now.

Not rusty.  That's money saved!

And more significantly - sanity!

There are a couple of minor holes to be attended to, (one was drilled by the PO and then left to become a rust former), but still managed to break a couple of bolts. One was a captive, so probably just cut out the bracket and weld a new one in.

So there I was covered in tar, grime and an odd bit of rust and the wife asked me why I found it so enjoyable...

Upon reflection, I was sitting there, working away (undisturbed) in my own little world, with the radio on, working towards something I can't afford to buy, but can afford to make. Huge satisfaction :D

Upon reflection, I was sitting there, working away (undisturbed) in my own little world, with the radio on, working towards something I can't afford to buy, but can afford to make. Huge satisfaction :D

What a cracking outlook. 

To tide you over you really need to invest in some decent threads and a car cover. You won't even need the cardboard boxes as you actually have a shell!

3132990_700b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I had half a morning to play on the car today, so I thought I would pull the pedal box.

Every time I've passed the car, I've been tapping the main two bolts and spraying them with PB blaster. I've also given it a good rub with a wire brush, but as you might guess, I managed to break both bolts :(

I did think about heating it, but there was a good amount of PB residue and under the dash isn't a great place to have a mini fire...

Then I started on the two at the back. I remember pulling a friends pedal box years ago on his '82, but my back bolts seemed to be really corroded in. As I tried polishing around them (to get rid of the rust) I realized that the prior owner must have been some sort of safety freak as it looked like he had gone and welded them in.

post-20944-0-53992900-1506296360_thumb.jpg

Dang. I thought I was going to have to cut the rotten things off.

I'll save that until next time, I thought as I had to carry on with the honey do list.

This afternoon, I was reading Wayne Dempsy's 101 book and realized that they are welded from the factory on early models and I need to take the bolt out from the front on early models (pulling the brake master cylinder. DOH!!!

I should have read his book earlier! Oh the wonders of working on rusty cars.

Had some free time yesterday, so started playing with some stuff on CAD.

I'm thinking of something like this for the gearstick top:

post-20944-0-01361900-1506647413_thumb.png

Still need to sort the numbers out. I think the numbers 1 and 2 need to be a little larger (this pic makes it look worse as perspective wasn't turned on). Was also tempted to use BauHaus script...

I was thinking I would fill the hole created by the 'R' with some coloured resin - coloured to the accent colour of the cars interior.

That is still yonks off though!

Ha ha ha. That's good. I've kind of resigned myself going into this, it will probably never see the road again under my stewardship, so if it does, RESULT! :D

It reminds me of the old question of 'how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!'

The rust isn't too bad. There are still a couple of places I've found that will need some loving. California cars are good for that - but nightmares for perished rubbers and cracked dashboards!

It's amazing really, you keep unbolting stuff and eventually you can see the floor!

post-20944-0-55676000-1506824180_thumb.jpg

I only needed to pull the spare wheel, the fuel tank, about 10 million pieces of crud and unsuperglue it from the body. Oh and undo a squilion different fuel lines...

So I cleaned around the hole a bit and need to clean up the tat that goes back in it.

Think I'll end up painting this the body colour, but maybe by brush or asking for it to be blown over when the real painters / body men do some of the first coats.

Still much to do. The upper areas for the front under bonnet, smugglers box and the dreaded area around the electrics is a COMPLETE mess!

Next up is this skid plate so that I can get to the pedal box bolts.

post-20944-0-36844300-1506824403_thumb.jpg

Small movement towards that final goal... sigh.

Not sure what I'm fannying about at really.

As I keep telling anyone who will listen, it's all about the journey, not the destination! :D

Bit more fun today. Finally got the skid plate off (weighs a ton - but that's all good at the front of a 911) and managed to get the pedal cluster out.post-20944-0-12189000-1506910281_thumb.jpgpost-20944-0-96189900-1506910308_thumb.jpg

I keep finding packing peanuts all over the place in this car!

Next up for evening entertainment is restoring the pedal cluster and maybe even doing something about all of the bolts I've been snapping!

post-20944-0-44310600-1506910404_thumb.jpg

Tweaked the gear knob over lunchtime (steady... you could get sacked for that) and sent it off into the interweb to be made in Stainless.post-20944-0-75814200-1506988545_thumb.png

I also ordered some bronze bushings for the pedal set, so no excuse for not getting on with the disassembly. Need to grab some paint. Any ideas what you paint springs with???

Good eye! Kind of / sort of.

Ariels aren't legal in my state, so it's actually a home built kit car. :)

Took me a lot of time pointing out to the authorities, that I had followed the letter of their state law!

That and the Porsche are my keepers.

I sold my X flow Westfield (prelitigation) many years ago and bitterly regretted it. Bought it for $3500 and sold it for the same two years later after using it as a daily (wouldn't suggest that though!)

My kit car is the only thing that comes close!

Thanks :). I'm not sure about awe inspiring, but it's fun playing with crusty stuff and working out how it all goes together.

Looking at the rear pop open windows, I realized I only have half of one set. Soooo necessity being the mother of invention and all that (and me being frugal - cheap sounds, well, cheap!!) I decided to make the missing piece for one side and buy a used one for the other.

This is what the assembly looks like:post-20944-0-33912000-1507074134.jpg

Just managed to pick this up for a bargain- unfortunately they only had one, so this is the missing part for the other side.

post-20944-0-60726000-1507074208_thumb.jpg

post-20944-0-42436000-1507074229_thumb.jpg

Not sure which way to go.

I'm liking the three hole one where the holes are on the top and bottom. But... anyone could drill stock parts.

I think 'Outlaw' has become a Porsche cliche so not sure about that. Louveres could be cool and you couldn't do that in the original part.

Any thoughts or ideas you are willing to give me please?

I really do wish it was! Unfortunately I think it's the photos making it seem like something better than a ten footer!

There is so much to do, it makes my head spin, so I'm trying not to think about it and just do a little each day. :D

I might surprise myself that way!