Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Renault 6 rescue (now the hole truth)

garage find

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#151 ONLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 10,719 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:18 PM

They lack much of a following pretty well everywhere except on here.

• mk2_craig and Junkman like this

#152 ONLINE   Slowsilver

Slowsilver

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 74 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationNot Milton Keynes, but close

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

UPDATE: FROM FLAWLESS TO FLOOR-LESS

One of the reasons I decided to take on Bob as a project was because the bodywork and underside appeared to be in reasonable condition and did not require any welding. I enjoy doing mechanical stuff but hate doing bodywork.

An initial examination showed that some of the floorpan had been plated and then the entire underside and wheelarches had been treated to a nice new coat of underseal (well "new" at least 23 years ago).

However, on closer examination yesterday I discovered that some of the metal adjacent to the rear sill repair on the nearside was a bit crispy. After ten minutes of prodding with a screwdriver it now has a hole about eight inches square in the floorpan. See the awful truth below.

20171028_154410.jpg

BUGGER!

This is the bottom of a double skinned section which appears to have rotted all around the edge, such that the metal could be peeled off like a sardine tin.

I can do weldage.

I have done weldage.

I don't do weldage any more.

I am far to old and grumpy to enjoy lying on my back with bits of red-hot metal landing on my face.

Sods law also says that while the same area on the offside, which has already been plated, is easily accessible, the nearside is above the exhaust pipe and close to the petrol tank, so both of these will doubtless have to come off.

Bugger again!

The current plan is therefore to continue trying to make it start, steer and stop, then try to find a mobile welder who will repair this for me in exchange for some pictures of the queen. At least it is a flat area and I can clean up the existing metal and cut and shape a new plate, so hopefully it shouldn't prove too difficult or expensive to farm this out, assuming I can find someone local who will take it on.

I just hate paying someone else to do stuff for me. Not because of the cost but because it is no longer "my" restoration and I have no control over the quality of the repair.

If anyone knows of a good mobile welder in or around Milton Keynes who would be prepared to do this, please let me know.

• Dick Longbridge, Junkman, Conrad D. Conelrad and 3 others like this

#153 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 13,330 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

On the sunny side, the exhaust is one of the few things that's easy to remove on a Six and all the floor is nice flat pieces.  Still annoying to find the rot.

• Slowsilver likes this

#154 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Reliable Renault

• Full Members
  • 12,341 posts
  • 33 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

Arthur_foxhake can weld, likes pictures of the queen and is only in Chesham?
  • eddyramrod and Slowsilver like this
<p>2001 Gooner2 Ph1 1.9Dci Expression (His)<br>
2008 <strike>orl</strike> Vauxhall<strike>s</strike> <strike>r Shit</strike> Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

Thanked by 1 Member:
Slowsilver

#155 ONLINE   Six-cylinder

Six-cylinder

• Full Members
  • 4,707 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationBuckingham

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

I struggle to get welding done in the area, but a friend from another club has recently had his sills done at Bicester. 

Have a bonus R6 to keep your spirits up photographed by a friend at Brooklands today.

Attached Images

• 22815337_1851139951582653_100002248356519509_n crop.jpg

• dollywobbler, eddyramrod, Heritage motor centre and 6 others like this

At home and running:
1990 Volvo 740 GLE Auto estate, 2007 Mercedes C320CDi Sport Edition, 1991 BMW 325i E30, 2000 Citroen C15, 1996 Citroen ZX TD Estate, 1990 Mercedes 200TE.

#156 OFFLINE   Dick Longbridge

Dick Longbridge

Sir Dick 2019 application pending

• Full Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationFrench gateaux

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

Can’t you buy a luxury under-car roller, have a couple of servings of Dutch courage, grit your teeth and crack on with it? You may even enjoy* welding again, and appreciate it’s bonus features such as quick nose and ear hair removal.
Just a thought.
  • sporty-shite, D Spares & Tyres and Slowsilver like this
“There was this one time on Scrapheap Challenge when Lisa Rogers...”

#157 ONLINE   quicksilver

quicksilver

Renault 6 rescuer

• Full Members
  • 1,534 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • Locationthe universe of infinite turtles

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

Bugger indeed. I knew things were bad when he came in from the garage offering me bits of floor from a dustpan. Of course I didn't* suggest just leaving it until next year and putting it on the road as it is when it doesn't need an MOT anymore.

There's a metallic blue R6 that lives round here somewhere but I've never seen that beige one before.

• SiC likes this

Always look on the Shite side of life

1999 Vauxhall Zafira - shit or shite?

1978 Austin Maxi - proper shite or proper classic?

1972 Renault 6 - genuine garage find

Rusty Old Rubbish - a shite blog about shite and stuff

#158 ONLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 10,719 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:26 PM

Mine has gone on the driver's side floorpan at the front, albeit not quite as badly as that.  Been meaning to get it done for ages now but other stuff keeps pushing it back down the queue.  I think the MOT exemption thing will help - not because I'm going to drive it around with holes in it but because there will be no MOT tester to LOL at my pigeon-shite welding.

#159 ONLINE   Slowsilver

Slowsilver

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 74 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Can’t you buy a luxury under-car roller, have a couple of servings of Dutch courage, grit your teeth and crack on with it? You may even enjoy* welding again, and appreciate it’s bonus features such as quick nose and ear hair removal.
Just a thought.

A luxury* car roller might be OK for something like xtriple's Bentley but it would probably reject Bob as the absolute antithesis of luxury.

Maybe tipping him over onto a couple of straw bales would be more in keeping with his heritage.

My weldage is crap when I'm sober, so would be worse than useless if I took some Dutch (or French) courage beforehand.

I have very little hair left as it is and would prefer to keep what I have attached to my body.

I think I would prefer to earn some more pennies by sitting comfortably at a computer and give them to someone else, assuming I can find somebody masochistic enough or desperate enough to take the job on.

• Dick Longbridge and Junkman like this

#160 OFFLINE   bezzabsa

bezzabsa

• Full Members
  • 452 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationPensnett, Black Country, West Midlands..Way too close to Merry Hell shopping centre!!

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:18 PM

do love an antique french mobile....

1999 Pink-ish Skoda felicia diesel gone to Pastures new

2003 Red Fiat Punto 1.2 8v 

2005 Citroen relay MWB Hi roof 2.2 Hdi Gawn never to be seen again!!!

Both knees fooked, as are 2 disks in my back, and left hip..Diabetes, Chronic depression and rattle after taking my daily meds...Apart from that I'm fine!!!

#161 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 431 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

The MOT exemption does at least make it a lot easier to drive it to someone to get the work done at least...

I've had a couple of people recommend D&A Autos down by IKEA, and am planning to get the Lada's wings changed by them.  Sadly haven't got as far as doing it yet - but when I stopped by I got a good vibe from the folks I was talking to.  They were taking me seriously, asked all the right questions from me, and gave me a ballpark price right around what I expected.  There was an MG Maestro outside and an early Rolls Silver Shadow having an MOT...that alone made me pretty sure I was in the right place...they wanted to buy the Skoda too.

Don't know if they've got a mobile welder, but might be worth a phone call - if nothing else they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Can you hire car rollers?  Looks like with the car on its side as though that would be a pretty easy fix - just a swine when you're laying on your back with your nose an inch away from the panel you're trying to work on.

• eddyramrod and Slowsilver like this

Current fleet: 1989 Saab 900i Auto.  1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa.  1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.  1985 Sinclair C5.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Slowsilver

#162 ONLINE   Slowsilver

Slowsilver

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 74 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:41 PM

Don't really want to wait until next year for the MoT exemption to kick in, although at the rate I'm going it may take until then to get the rest of the car sorted.

I'm not sure I actually need a car roller. It is in a double-width garage and the car is fairly light, so I could probably tip it over onto a couple of straw bales or something.

I remember doing this with an autocross mini (in fact the one in my profile picture) in the middle of a field to replace a broken gearchange extension many years ago. Just need to muster 3 or 4 people to assist.

I have found a local mobile welder who gives free estimates, so I may contact him and see what he can do.

If you do use D&A I would be interested to know the outcome.

#163 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 431 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:53 PM

I'll definitely be posting on here if/when it happens.  Just a matter of it getting to the top of the to do list.

Two Wrestlers Garage is the place I use for MOTs and most of the general stuff I don't want to faff about with myself.  It still seems to work like a "proper old garage" as far as I can see and they've never given me any bother.

Likewise if you have good luck with the mobile welder I'd be interested to get the details for future reference.

Current fleet: 1989 Saab 900i Auto.  1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa.  1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.  1985 Sinclair C5.

#164 OFFLINE   D Spares & Tyres

D Spares & Tyres

Big member

• Full Members
  • 2,818 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationAt the end of the longest line

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

When I welded my Renault 16 up, we just tipped it on its side. A couple of car wheels and tyre with just a tyre on top will be fine. If you get it just past the point of balance there will be very little weight on it.

No damage happened
  • Squire_Dawson and Slowsilver like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
Slowsilver

#165 OFFLINE   alf892

alf892

• Full Members
  • 2,025 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationNorthants

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

What about Al Bundy from here?.........others have had work done and been pleased with the result

Thanked by 1 Member:
Al Bundy

#166 ONLINE   Ben_O

Ben_O

• Full Members
  • 464 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:52 PM

At least they look to be nice straightforward repairs.

Hopefully you will manage to find someone to repair that easily enough.

#167 OFFLINE   AnthonyG

AnthonyG

• Full Members
  • 3,147 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

When’s this MoT Exemption coming? I thought it was 2018, which is only two months away. Is it not until the summer or something? Surely Bob is already an ‘historic’ vehicle so dosen’t need to wait for his 40th birthday?

Obviously I understand you don’t want to drive him around with a big hole in the floor...

#168 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 5,845 posts
  • 42 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

When’s this MoT Exemption coming? I thought it was 2018, which is only two months away. Is it not until the summer or something? Surely Bob is already an ‘historic’ vehicle so dosen’t need to wait for his 40th birthday?

Obviously I understand you don’t want to drive him around with a big hole in the floor...

May 2018.
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#169 OFFLINE   Jifflemon

Jifflemon

• Full Members
  • 236 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationMilk and Beans

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:49 PM

Hang on, doesn’t the 6 have a separate chassis and body like the 4, and this floor pans are completely non structural and thus none mot’able?

#170 OFFLINE   jonathan_dyane

jonathan_dyane

• Full Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:38 PM

I'm not sure that you might find that argument 'doth butter no parsnips' with 'the man'...
  • Heritage motor centre and mat_the_cat like this

1997 Nissan Primera GT

1979 Citroen GS Club Estate (rusty)
1951 David Brown 30D (derelict)

1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

2004 Tomos Noped

#171 ONLINE   Slowsilver

Slowsilver

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 74 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

Hang on, doesn’t the 6 have a separate chassis and body like the 4, and this floor pans are completely non structural and thus none mot’able?

Not exactly. It does not have a separate chassis in the traditional sense of chassis rails running right along and across the car carrying all the mechanical components. It more accurately has a separate body and floorpan, similar to a Volkswagen Beetle. None of the upper body panels are structural, but the mechanical components are attached to reinforced areas of the floorpan, which has box sections for strength. This rot is in part of a large box section which runs right across the car directly behind the rear seat. Since it is a hatchback, this and the front bulkhead are what give it torsional rigidity. hence I think Mr. MoT could justifiably fail it.

#172 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Reliable Renault

• Full Members
  • 12,341 posts
  • 33 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

Mot exempt next year? Fibre glass and black paint?
  • tooSavvy likes this
2008 <strike>orl</strike> Vauxhall<strike>s</strike> <strike>r Shit</strike> Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#173 ONLINE   Ben_O

Ben_O

• Full Members
  • 464 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:13 PM

oh don't do that.

MOT or not, you want the car to be safe surely

• alf892 and beko1987 like this

#174 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Reliable Renault

• Full Members
  • 12,341 posts
  • 33 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:38 PM

I know, it was a joke! Knowing the silvers the only gaffa tape in the entire car is in the toolbox their using at the time...
  • Ben_O likes this

#175 OFFLINE   capsuleboy

capsuleboy

• Full Members
  • 261 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Locationleicester

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:54 PM

Entirely btw, don't forget Skizzer's R16 TA and Lobster's R4F6.
We should be able to get quite a good pre 1986 Renault meet together, if we wanted to.
And who is it who is currently trying to sell a delightfully shabby chic powder blue phase 1 R5?

Does anyone here have an Alpine?

No Alpine but I do have a '66 R4, a 74 R5 and a 62 Estafette...Party!

Attached Images

• FB_IMG_1504638877358.jpg

#176 ONLINE   vaughant

vaughant

• Full Members
  • 477 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

Great snapshot into the bigger picture of the Renault. The Ford Pop and Moggie Minor still look damn fine to this day. I love the way the Renault still sports the dent in the back door and the same windscreen sticker all these years later. I know it's the polar opposite of what 99.9% of shiters want, but I'd love to see the car back looking resplendent in it's metallic Kermit again...

Me too, not a big fan of the "don't paint" mentality unless the paint is indeed in really good order.

A good paint job transforms older cars, but alas costs many ££££££

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users