Renault 6 rescue (Aug 2020 - rehomed)

quicksilver

Can you make use of some mechanical spares? I found 3/4 of the stuff I bought for my later bigger engined R6 were wrong since they were for the smaller engine, so I've got some things like rotor arm, distributor cap and clutch kit in the garage that are brand new and of absolutely no use to me. You can have them for postage cost, I'll get some pictures of it all for you if you're interested so you know exactly what you're getting.

This is a mighty nobel gesture.

However, thinking back to my days on the parts counter, with a fair bit of experience, every catalogue available and a stock running into the hundreds I STILL couldn't find a set of points or brake pads or wheel cylinder that would actually fit one of these.

Them and Mk1 R5s I swear they made them out of whatever they found lying around.

None of your Bosch / Motorcraft like you got from Dagenham, this was more like Lucas / Bosch / Ducellier / SEV Marshal / Delco Remey / Magnetti Marelli....

And they still weren't right, so you would start looking at Volvo 340, R12, Daf, anything you could think of and eventually the exasperated customer would bring the old ones in and you start looking through the boxes.

May the good fortune stay with you and the car.

Mk1 R5s I swear they made them out of whatever they found lying around.

Tell me about it! My first car was Mother_SA's cast-off '74 5L, after the clutch had failed and she got a Daihatsu. Fatha_SA despatched me to the Renault dealers, where I was informed that there were three different clutches fitted to that one model year. The spares dude went on to say the best thing we could do was remove the old one and bring it in.

I think it was Wuvvum what told me that for every four parts you buy, one will be correct.  A remarkably accurate theory too.  By the time they got to the 90s the practice was "whichever is the most expensive option is the one on your car", This held especially true if your car was supposed to be fitted with the cheaper option.

Echoing what the others have said, what an amazing save. I'd say Bob is smiling quietly down on you, and chuckling to himself. He clearly had a sense of humour, looking at the BR paint job!

As for meeting the previous owners, just imagine the odds. Ridulously narrow chances.

Did you manage to get their contact details so they can forward old photos and any other gems of info?

Really looking forward to seeing updates - this ones a proper little charmer, much like Junkman's gorgeous 16.

Excellent stuff, glad you and your old man didn't have too much hassle getting it out of its place of slumber, and that you found the keys, and that the steering lock is not locking, which I remember was a particular concern of your dads.

The colour scheme looks better than I thought it would and the story about the previous owners is beyond amazing!

If I ever find this Renault 6 handbook I vaguely remember buying from a charity shop for 50p nigh-on 20 years ago it's yours.

Is it making an appearance at the FoD in two weeks time? If that Daewoo doesn't pan out it would be great to have a fettling session with this.

This is a mighty nobel gesture.

However, thinking back to my days on the parts counter, with a fair bit of experience, every catalogue available and a stock running into the hundreds I STILL couldn't find a set of points or brake pads or wheel cylinder that would actually fit one of these.

Them and Mk1 R5s I swear they made them out of whatever they found lying around.

None of your Bosch / Motorcraft like you got from Dagenham, this was more like Lucas / Bosch / Ducellier / SEV Marshal / Delco Remey / Magnetti Marelli....

And they still weren't right, so you would start looking at Volvo 340, R12, Daf, anything you could think of and eventually the exasperated customer would bring the old ones in and you start looking through the boxes.

May the good fortune stay with you and the car.

That's still better than for a pre 1968 R16, for which you can get exactly the square root of sod all.

What sort of manual? We already have a HBOL but it's a bit crappy as it's full of opinions and stupid comments and omits important information like the location of the dipstick.

It's an Autobooks manual - smaller than the HBOL but I think rather more useful technically - it has diagrams in it rather than blurry black & white photos.

I also have a jen-you-whine Renault workshop manual, which I believe was donated to me by Mouseflakes of this parish when I bought my 6 nearly ten years ago.  I'm keeping that but can easily scan pages out of it if there's owt you need to see.

Well spotted, I didn't notice that at first. And the no smoking sign on the other side. You could add a 'do not lean out of the window' sticker to all windows and perhaps have a buffet in the back with a Travellers Fare menu on the back of the front seats. This could get out of hand, best leave as it is I think.

post-20743-0-91389800-1503676530_thumb.jpg