Peugeot 405 GTX. Au revoir.

stillOrange

I'm probably being a little hard on it, I've had a look underneath and can't see anything untoward , I've took pictures as well.

I've been using it daily as it's the only usable car just now . I think the engine feels a little thrashy and that's what I'm feeling when driving it. Apart from a bit on the rear arch there is NO rust which for a carina is unheard of.

Yes, but when I did I got immediately shouted down by the know it alls, so I don't mention it anymore.

Fact is it's the only one I ever owned that had that shit applied and it's the only one that's rotting like a Mercedes.

I am seriously shocked by the pics.

It never looked like this underneath while I had it. I never ever leave mud on the undercarriage.

What? I missed that. Pray tell - I was considering undersealing mine until I read that.

Underseal on new metal where water cannot get behind it is fine, providing its totally sealed with no cracks.

Underseal on old crappy metal/rust, does a fine job of making it look pretty.

But holds in moisture so the metal carries on rusting until a lump of underseal and rust falls off, disclosing a hole.

I use underseal though, covers the welds great.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s french so with time I was expecting some electrical issues. So here’s what happens and any suggestions are welcome.

It started of a week or two ago where, occasionally, the dashboard would light up under heavy/ish braking or in tight corners.

It would look exactly like when you turn the key, oil level gauge would come alive, all the pre-start light etc. The moment the car would stop or settle it would be back to normal. No cutting out of engine or anything other than lights on the dash.

Then last week I started having problems with headlights. I know all bulbs are fine. All light used to work as normal.

Started with dipped beam taking a few seconds to come up. Position lights (is that what they are called in English?) would come up straight away and headlight after 1-2 seconds. High beam always works on the touch.

This week they would only switch on after few minutes and switch off whenever they want. Position lights would always stay on and high beam is working as normal.

No issues whatsoever with rear lights.

So what can it be?

I was thinking first that it might be battery but now I’m thinking water ingress?

I had a similar thing happen with my last Jag. The dashboard was lighting up under heavy acceleration and harsh breaking (as in every single light coming on).

This was traced to the battery. Why did it make the dashboard to an impression of Blackpool? I neither know, nor care. It started doing it after the car was parked up for a month, awaiting a new thermostat tower. Charging it overnight and taking the car for a long motorway run cured it, and it never came back.

But isn't your 405 in fairly regular use? How old is the battery?

It will take some time to dry out, a hairdryer would help, though.

So would liberal amounts of contact spray and contact grease.

As long as the car starts and runs there is nothing wrong with the bloody battery.

As JM had said above.

I had a similar problem in my Seat, I found a can of dry PTFE spray which when sprayed turned into some sort of a really white powder/wax type of effect that almost instantaneously removed the water from my hand, like a solvent does. I was using it in work for a totally different purpose but thought "sod it", sprayed it over all the elev connections after an FTP almost occurred on the Severn bridge and I've had no further issues since.

It also works well on sticky electric windows as it's effectively a dry lubricant. It just cleans up all the little individual connections, I've had zero issues with it since (fixing the water ingress helped as well)!!!

I had a 405 years ago, headlamps stopped working. Traced the fault back to a badly corroded crimped joint in the main harness which runs down the bulkhead. I cut about 6 inches of corroded cable out & spliced it back together by soldering in a length of 8mm copper central heating pipe, & wrapped it with tape.

• 1 month later...