Peugeot 405 GTX. Au revoir.

stillOrange

I have seen both gaiters myself. Right one is stuck to the right side and the left rubber is split in few places. I have seen it myself JMan.

Is there any chance the previous garage have not done the work? I'm being serious here as I have seen it myself and it's too much of coincidence.

I was also there when brakes were tested. I've seen the measurements on the garage display.

I can assure you that those gaiters were replaced.

But it is true that 405 spares are now being made in China, so the likelyhood that they came from there

and thus are split again after fewer than two years is sadly high.

Not an expert on brake hoses but I can confirm these car's weak spot tends to be the rear brakes.  My daily '95 GTX has had to have work done on the rear brakes on the last two MOTs, and it's constantly in use.  I only realised after the event but my garage had replaced the rear discs on two successive MOTs so work that one out.  I've had the whole rear braking system replaced on it (and they still don't feel exactly right.), cost me a good deal more than £190 too.

Yes, the rear disc brakes are so underused that them giving trouble from one MoT to the next is not unheard of.

Mine passed last time without any problems, but the MoT man said the condition of the entire brake system isn't anything to write home about,

although it passed the test and therefore doesn't warrant an advisory.

However, I took this on board, least because the brakes really weren't all that confidence inspiring and in a delightfully old money style move

had the entire system replaced, all calipers, discs, pads, flexies, hardware, the entire lot.

It's a lot better now, but will never be as good as on previous ones I had because ABS - accelerate, brake, shit.

MoT on mine is this week, so let's see what happens.

StillOrange, can you please let me know the name of the garage I should avoid at all cost?

Furthermore, I would like to have explained what they mean with "upper" brake hoses (Carlo?)and what exactly the damage is.Also note in this context, that the rear brake flexis have been replaced between August 2013 andJuly 2014

I bet your bottom dollar that the tester is referring to split or deteriorated outer handbrake cables...in his reference to "upper" brake hoses??? I can think of nothing else if the real actual flexis were replaced only 2 to 3 years back???

Some pictures for clarification:

Bottom set of flexes, these are completely fine.

post-19541-0-30191200-1504685482_thumb.jpg

Above the axle set, both sides are split at the very bottom

post-19541-0-80716600-1504685648_thumb.jpg

post-19541-0-94871200-1504685672_thumb.jpg

The discs and pads just have to be changed just for the safety's sake. I'm supposed to be doing school runs in it.

post-19541-0-38846000-1504685792_thumb.jpg

Both gaiters already changed but looking at previous MOTs I expect them to be an issue once again next year...

post-19541-0-00772300-1504685936_thumb.jpg

post-19541-0-31423600-1504685963_thumb.jpg

Junkman, didn't you say something about the effects the under seal might have on 405s?

post-19541-0-84860100-1504686086_thumb.jpg

post-19541-0-55308800-1504686116_thumb.jpg

Junkman, didn't you say something about the effects the under seal might have on 405s?

Yes, but when I did I got immediately shouted down by the know it alls, so I don't mention it anymore.

Fact is it's the only one I ever owned that had that shit applied and it's the only one that's rotting like a Mercedes.

I am seriously shocked by the pics.

It never looked like this underneath while I had it. I never ever leave mud on the undercarriage.

I'd be surprised if it passed the MOT with the corrosion.

Agree with sticking it in for the test before spending anything. Mine wants some tyres on the back and the back brakes doing, reticent to start spending money on it in case it surprises me with a fail on anything else.

I don't want to waste time and money on it and then it land me with a fail anyway due to something I'd missed. Could go two ways either a few hundred to get another year out of it or the scrapyard.

• 2 months later...

The saloon 405 rear brakes in particular do very little most of the time, so it's absolutely no shock that they barely work.  The estate ones work a little harder, but even then the handbrake cables often sieze up.

One thing I found was that the springs on the ends of the handbrake cables that return everything when you take the handbrake off need to be in good order.  I had awful issues with one of my 405's for a couple of years getting it through the MOT.  Nearside was always poor on the handbrake and offside was always poor on the service brake.  Just about scraped by untill I snapped the handbrake cable, so had to replace it.  Hey presto, next MOT I have balanced service brake and balanced handbrake.

The double flexi arrangement is only on models with rear discs.  Drum rear axles are more conventional.

My head brushes the sunroof aperture in mine and I feel a bit like a Daddy Long Legs in a box of Swan Vestas when I drive it. On a short run I find it easy enough, but on the motorway my legs start to hurt in it and the heavy steering can be a pain in the arse around town. You do have to roll your sleeves up.

But on the plus side the heavy steering has more feel than I've ever felt in a work-a-day saloon. I like it a lot.

My head brushes the sunroof aperture in mine and I feel a bit like a Daddy Long Legs in a box of Swan Vestas when I drive it. On a short run I find it easy enough, but on the motorway my legs start to hurt in it and the heavy steering can be a pain in the arse around town. You do have to roll your sleeves up.

But on the plus side the heavy steering has more feel than I've ever felt in a work-a-day saloon. I like it a lot.

The steering is heavy in comparison to modern powered steering but I wouldn't have it any other way, for the wonderful feel it provides.  Whenever I get into a modern it's the complete remoteness that puts me off.  I don't find mine demanding or undemanding, I always find it enjoyable.  That's why I keep driving them after twelve years.

They are also very roomy in the back, the sunroof does restrict headroom (but not for shorties like me.)

Maybe the roofline was a little higher in the Estate 405 then, as I'm 6' tall and most of my height is in my body, not my legs, and I've never had a headroom issue in a 405.  Have you got the seat height adjuster all the way up at maximum height or something?

I am also not the tallest person (5'10 on a good day) and found both 405s nice and roomy. The steering had the right weight in my opinion, after my 406 I decided I prefer cars with a bit of a feel, otherwise why am I bothering?!

Shame you're not gelling with it, I don't have anything worthy to swap. 

Also, you sound like being in dire need of an orthopedic.

Seriously.

Joking aside, I think I probably am. But why spend money on your health when you can spend it on cars?

In terms of head room, the seat isn't on the highest setting - I've checked. But I am in agreement on the steering feel, it's lovely.

Joking aside, I think I probably am. But why spend money on your health when you can spend it on cars?

In terms of head room, the seat isn't on the highest setting - I've checked. But I am in agreement on the steering feel, it's lovely.

In 405s with sunroofs headroom is a bit limited, only a little better in cars without.

I don't think they're designed for tall people.