Peugeot 405 GTX. Au revoir.

stillOrange

MOT tomorrow 10:15. Went to the lock up for the first time since collecting expecting the battery and the front tires to be flat but the car started straight away and air top up should see it go through the test tomorrow.

Hopefully we should make it to Chumley on Sunday. 

Expect more news tomorrow.

I'm surprised it only failed on the handbrake, considering how long it was parked up.

I guess the trip up from darn Sarf into civilisation has freed them up a bit.

Handbrake is dead easy to adjust on these.

I wonder what happened to the rear brake flexies?

I had the entire rear brakes redone for the last MoT.

Steering gaiters are also new to me. Could be caused by long period of unuse,

then immediately maneuvre in a tight spot.

Anyway, all niggly bits.

From my experience of Pugs in general I'd say the rear handbrake cables are probably seized up. Cheap and easy enough to swap over if your freshening up the rear handbrake assembly. ☺️

This twas the fault on my zafira also, handbrake cable u/s.

Still, at £190 all in get them to do it, nice cheap mot'ed 405 that looks LUSHEROONEY.

On 6 August 2015 at 127,583 miles the car failed, amongst other (like the infamous dangerously spaced

registration plate characters), on

Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)

Nearside Steering rack gaiter split (2.2.D.2d)

Offside Steering rack gaiter split (2.2.D.2d)

It passed on 13 August 2015, because I had these things fixed!

(I also shelled out on an expensive set of new registration plates with some safer spacing of the characters

to stop my unduly and imprudent endangering of other road users)

On 1 September 2017 at 130,796 miles, so 3,213 miles later, it failed, amongst other, on

Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)

Nearside Steering rack gaiter split (2.2.D.2d)

Offside Steering rack gaiter insecure (2.2.D.2d)

So you will understand that I smell a rat the size of an elephant in the living room,

or, at the very least, gaiters made in China.

Furthermore, I would like to have explained what they mean with "upper" brake hoses (Carlo?)

and what exactly the damage is.

Also note in this context, that the rear brake flexis have been replaced between August 2013 and

July 2014, you will find an invoice for that in the stash. Needless to write, that he smell of the rat

is not exactly alleviated by this.

Did I understand you correctly, I think you said you brought the car to some main stealership for the test?

And entirely btw, I'm surprised how the car could generally deteriorate in such a short period.

There was no lacquer peel on the roof when I sold it and the tyres were spot on.

In fact, I had the rear ones replaced.

I would have replaced all four, had they shown the slightest sign of cracking.

I have seen both gaiters myself. Right one is stuck to the right side and the left rubber is split in few places. I have seen it myself JMan.

Is there any chance the previous garage have not done the work? I'm being serious here as I have seen it myself and it's too much of coincidence.

I was also there when brakes were tested. I've seen the measurements on the garage display.

Not an expert on brake hoses but I can confirm these car's weak spot tends to be the rear brakes.  My daily '95 GTX has had to have work done on the rear brakes on the last two MOTs, and it's constantly in use.  I only realised after the event but my garage had replaced the rear discs on two successive MOTs so work that one out.  I've had the whole rear braking system replaced on it (and they still don't feel exactly right.), cost me a good deal more than £190 too.