Plenty of Peugeots - and then there was one

AlsoMike

Just checked and it looks like 205s are on the verge of leaving shite territory.

I better hurry...

Would make GR12 1st car for Junkdaughter #1, no?

Solid choice I reckon, from my obviously blinkered and biased point of view. Agree that prices are on the up though, but a lot of that seems to be speculative chancers thinking they are sat on a goldmine. £500 would still buy a good example.

I'm on my second 205 the first was a 1.1 and was dented to buggery, a hole in the boot floor and someone had put on a diesel strut on the front left and the back axle siezed so it leaned considerably to one side and went round corners like it was in jelly. My current one is a k plate 1.6 auto, 34k and unmarked. I've put on gti wheels and front spoiler and going to keep it forever if I can live with the horrendous fuel consumption!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Just checked and it looks like 205s are on the verge of leaving shite territory.

I better hurry...

Would make GR12 1st car for Junkdaughter #1, no?

Along with the Metro, this is one of two smoll cars that terrifies me in regards to crash protection.

It is most probably unfounded and a bit silly.

I'm also aware that this is not the sort of thing you say on a forum like this.

However, they do.

That 1.4 looks like a good buy, well done!

Small update on the current cars, well one of them... I've changed the clutch cable on the 306 because it was heavy as hell. Its definitely improved it, but its still much heavier than I'd like. I would deffo have liked a bigger improvement given how much of a pig it was to change the bloody cable, but what the heck. I'll try taking off the clutch 'assist' spring next and see if that helps.

Oh, and the whole job would have taken half the time if ECP hadn't supplied me a self-adjusting cable with the adjuster' lock' broken. Bastard cable shortened itself before I could get it attached at first. Cue some swearing and working out how to reset the cable before I could get it on.

I'll try taking off the clutch 'assist' spring next and see if that helps.

Assuming you mean the sprung damper thing on the clutch pedal, remove that first of all - makes a huge difference if, like usual, it's knackered.

Indeed, I'm not really quite sure what it's purpose actually is. Mine's been removed on the current 306 HDi for the last 60k miles odd now with no ill-effects.

Good commitment. It never really bothered me, but I can imagine around town it would become a bit boring. If you have the talent then why not?!

On the open road it wasn't a problem, but I usually end up sat in traffic on my way to/from work so thought it was worth a go.

Assuming you mean the sprung damper thing on the clutch pedal, remove that first of all - makes a huge difference if, like usual, it's knackered.

Indeed, I'm not really quite sure what it's purpose actually is. Mine's been removed on the current 306 HDi for the last 60k miles odd now with no ill-effects.

Yeah, thats the thing. Not read anything good about them. Prob should have removed that first!

• 1 month later...

So this happened:

37234501502_9c322cba49_c.jpg

Then the local scrappy came and took away the shell, and broke my gates at the same time. Woop.

I'd had enough of it taking up space and I was never going to fix the damn thing, so its time was up. It did yield a few useful bits too. Anyone need a good set of 205 seats?

• 1 month later...

Evening all.

I've been using the 306 cab for nearly 4 months now, prob done about 1000 miles in it. It's been reliable and great for the occasional blast with the roof down, but I'm just not gelling with it. I think part of it is the heavy clutch on my stop/start commute is wearing on me.

So I think a change may be in order. Anyone fancy a swap? Or buying it for £NotVeryMuch?

It's pretty much exactly as decribed in BorniteIdentitys roffle thread from June: http://autoshite.com/topic/28567-yellow-peugeot-cabriolet-raffle-drawing-tonight-0507/ but it has had a new clutch cable since then. After the weekend it will also have had new track rod ends, balljoints and anti roll bar links if I get chance to fit them, to hopefully eliminate a slight front end clonk.

Today I forgot how much petrol was left in the 306 (yup, the fuel gauge still hasn't magically fixed itself..) and it promptly ran out on my way to work. The 30 minute walk for petrol in the rain was just what I needed this morning. Once I was at work, pondering how this could possibly have happened, I did however work out that it is doing about 35mpg on my commute with a lot of stop start which I didnt think was too bad for what it is. Every cloud and all that.

So anyone want it? It's actually a pretty good old bus really.

Here's a reminder of what it looks like:

36600462416_2977e00b83_c.jpg

A discussion was had with said mate, various problems were discussed (nae money, mrs would go mad, insurers not open, already have umpteen cars, etc) but all were possible to overcome with the exception of tiredness v distance.

That's how we only ended up going as far as Carlisle to borrow mine. And that was slow enough because puncture.

Good luck with sale...

Someone get this bought before I chose numbers.

....44, 38, 57, 3 please.

A discussion was had with said mate, various problems were discussed (nae money, mrs would go mad, insurers not open, already have umpteen cars, etc) but all were possible to overcome with the exception of tiredness v distance.

That's how we only ended up going as far as Carlisle to borrow mine. And that was slow enough because puncture.

Good luck with sale...

Someone get this bought before I chose numbers.

....44, 38, 57, 3 please.

All understandable, its a bit of a trek, and it is in Lincolnshire to boot. Dont think I'll be roffling it tho tbh.

Give the side of the dashboard a clout, it works for the ZX temp gauge.

I've clouted it several times (many many times yesterday in fact), I suspect the fuel pump/sender unit to be the cause.

I've thought and thought about this.  In fact, I thought I still had it insured - but it turns out I flipped this policy into my W202 - not the other policy. Which means I still have a Lolvo 240 insured that I sold in the summer.  Ooops.

The fuel needle is almost certainly the float stuck.  The dude I bought the car from was very, very honest - a true gentleman.  He had a new fuel pump installed and, after that, it never worked.  Apparently (although I'm no expert) they had to crack open the fuel tank during the process - and since then, it's been dead.

Wish I could justify it back.  But something would have to go first, and I like them all at the moment.

GLWS dude.

That sounds a bargain frankly - I'd have been interested myself if I hadn't already agreed to buy another piece of French chod next week.

The fuel gauge issue is likely the sender as mentioned above - what tends to happen is that the float arm gets bent, jammed or broken when fitting the pump housing into the tank because the float protrudes so much, which depending on what you've done, will make the gauge either non-functional or widely inaccurate. Shouldn't be too difficult to rectify - there's an opening under the rear seats so quick and easy to remove the pump housing from the tank even when there's still loads of fuel in there.