What an ad really means?

sierraman

• 3 weeks later...

'Don't let the mileage put you off' - ....'because there are plenty of actual things wrong with the car you can come and look at in person'

Strictly on any car with a price-tag of over £2000 - 'Starts and runs fine but...' - 'It can just about pass the OED definition test of a 'car' in that it can move but there are numerous issues which sap all enjoyment out of ownership'

"MOT EXPIRED" = it failed the last test miserably.

You can't hide MOT test history any more, fud sellers

I reckon this is both one of the best and worst things to be introduced, clearly depending on whether you are a hand-wringing worrisome buyer or a regular seller.

Clearly, it allows a car's chequered history of MOT woes to be perused and something with a short MOT and a continually carried over list of growing advisories can quite rightly be swerved. It also means that there is now a good reason for sellers to obfuscate numberplates.

As a seller, particularly a bread and butter car dealer, I imagine it can also be a right pain in the arse, as customers arrive to look at a £750 trade-in having spotted that four years ago the EML light was on and suck teeth and throw stupid low-ball offers to the table on the basis that the car must be completely borked rather than having a hose pop out or split or something equally inconsequential.

Some dealers also like the aesthetics of popping a dealer-plate on the car for the photographs, which I can sort of understand. However, as I'm personally guilty of noting an obfuscated number plate and erecting an additional trust barrier between myself and the seller I would also say this harmless practice could put customers on the offensive too soon. Dealers who have posh looking dealer-plates could, of course, pop the number plate in the advert text for the sake of clarity; it's more the private sellers who have used photoshop to swirl the plate or simply drawn a black blob over it that raise my eyebrow the highest.

"I'm not a mechanic"

Nope, you probably aren't. But the MOT man probably is and he has told you it's fucked and that slight knocking noise over bumps isn't a sloppy bush but the front end about to part company

That's a bit like the one where you phone them up and they say "yeah, there's a knocking/warning light on/misfire/rattle*, but i'm not really that clever on these things so i'm selling it on cheap, you'll probably be getting a complete bargain" and what they really mean is: "I've stripped it down and it's knackered/parts are unobtainium/it's riddled with problems and so i've bodged it back together and put my lay-man/know nothing about motors hat on to get it sold".

"A real eye catcher" = sun visors have been fitted too low.

"Alarmed" = describes the state of the prospective buyer after inspection and test drive.

My personal hatred is when the seller puts up three lines of completely obvious information about the car, and then barely replies to messages. You get a few pictures of a 20-year-old citroen, with a description of "Citroen. Average miles. Good condition. Blue seats. Big boot."

Great.. so I can't even tell which sodding engine is fitted, and you won't reply to my emails. Moving on.....

I reckon this is both one of the best and worst things to be introduced, clearly depending on whether you are a hand-wringing worrisome buyer or a regular seller.

Clearly, it allows a car's chequered history of MOT woes to be perused and something with a short MOT and a continually carried over list of growing advisories can quite rightly be swerved. It also means that there is now a good reason for sellers to obfuscate numberplates.

As a seller, particularly a bread and butter car dealer, I imagine it can also be a right pain in the arse, as customers arrive to look at a £750 trade-in having spotted that four years ago the EML light was on and suck teeth and throw stupid low-ball offers to the table on the basis that the car must be completely borked rather than having a hose pop out or split or something equally inconsequential.

Some dealers also like the aesthetics of popping a dealer-plate on the car for the photographs, which I can sort of understand. However, as I'm personally guilty of noting an obfuscated number plate and erecting an additional trust barrier between myself and the seller I would also say this harmless practice could put customers on the offensive too soon. Dealers who have posh looking dealer-plates could, of course, pop the number plate in the advert text for the sake of clarity; it's more the private sellers who have used photoshop to swirl the plate or simply drawn a black blob over it that raise my eyebrow the highest.

Also some MOT stations never put any advisories and some make a great big list of things you never even thought could be a thing!

• 3 weeks later...

"I read in an article that...." - I made the next load of bollocks up but it's supposed to show what a rare and appreciating classic this is

"Original fragile and unreliable engine replaced with...." either I broke the original because I never serviced it or the engine is far and away the most desirable bit so I sold it separately and now want rid of the rest

Replica - base model, Barry'ed to within an inch of its life with cheap tat, and now excerably slow as it's carrying 1/4 ton of additional crap.