Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lupo 20v turbo, sounds like a good idea

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,804 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

The contents of this thread are sounding more and more similar to the Techy Thread over on the open forum every day!

It does bode well that in some cases, ECUs are "hackable" - not just for more power but I can see a future where some sensors will be NLA and the ECU can just be rewritten to use parts from other manufacturers.

A bit like the graphics card in your Asus PC failing, you just put a totally different one in and change the driver.

Losing the immobiliser is also good, no doubt there'll be insurance grumps if they knew but how many times do old cars get sent over the bridge for an immobiliser fault? Just pick and choose the features you want your car to have.

More likely to happen is that sensors will have adapter boards to convert the signal from a generic sensor to what the ECU expects. Already possible to DIY easy enough, just little need to.

Also likely possible to rewrite the firmware on ECUs. Especially not that hard, as one thing the diesel emissions scandal has highlighted is that Bosch ECUs are all the same firmware. There are constants and lookup tables that the manufacturers change to suit their needs but the basic firmware is the same. This is how remappers remove/map out the DPF and/or EGR valves.

Already with Saab ECUs the firmware has been disassembled, understood and altered.
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#62 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,271 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

I can remove vag immobilisers with my obd plug in box .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it stay gone? I thought these just worked temporary? Amazing!

I'm not that clever, actual very clever people worked it all out to start with, I just followed instructions!

• tooSavvy likes this

#63 OFFLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 4,913 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

I'm not that clever, actual very clever people worked it all out to start with, I just followed instructions!

I followed instructions once, found in a respected Performance Mag BITD, advising route to 'easy performance upgrade'...

Manufacturers 'defeat device' [red plastic plug in hole], sadly, thwarted my quest for MeggaPowah :(

TS

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_3f0da8b633_m.jpgSUCKS

#64 OFFLINE   fiatdaft

fiatdaft

• Full Members
  • 2,010 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Locationbaw deep

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

The immob stays off, but can be easily switched on again.

click for old italian car brochures http://www.flickr.co...s/[email protected]/

#65 OFFLINE   pauldoubleyou

pauldoubleyou

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHelensburgh

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

Update from today. So my last Welder was shit and I didn’t trust the welds it was putting out, so went and got a Clarke 151te. Got it setup and proceeded to weld up the chassis notches and the more complicated engine mount. Stuck with disposible gas cylinders and they’re a piss take, one has lasted me one day. Shite.

Anyway one side is done and I almost got the other side done (started bridging the gap you see at the top of the rail and down at the bottom too) and I ran out of gas. So I’ll now have to grind those bottom shit welds out and redo them.

I’m so close to getting the engine in, looks like I’ll be buying more gas in the short term. I’d like the engine sat in by the end of the weekend really.

Frankenstein sticker is relevant

Pics 5096b7c7af87fc78a65f8a4bb6fae5de.jpg3dcfdbdc68ab1a352a577288fe9fcacc.jpg41a7c9c1dd179ec42bc10687fb7b597b.jpg03cfb258534c5b0f62f58cd5597ea27f.jpg516d79a7919b377f4146964246dbc2e0.jpg

• CreepingJesus, tooSavvy, Vince70 and 1 other like this

#66 OFFLINE   pauldoubleyou

pauldoubleyou

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHelensburgh

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

Bit more today. One more mount then engine time eb3eb8bbb4c937446038b0fb6d0d8ed9.jpg28695c260466a67cf5fb60f5879b31b5.jpg

• Pillock, CreepingJesus, catsinthewelder and 3 others like this

#67 OFFLINE   pauldoubleyou

pauldoubleyou

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHelensburgh

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:28 PM

Couldn’t leave it there today. the engine is only in! Need to sort the stabiliser mount but it’s under its own weight for the first time. Fits nicely too.

It’ll be coming out again to clean up welds and paint the mounts but a great way to end the day.328f9ea357d7e7709bf08177c7a1f796.jpg

9e4b53c1e6fb13be1e529acc22401943.jpg

• outlaw118, The Moog, Peter C and 14 others like this

#68 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 3,871 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

I know you'll declare the CC change on the V5 and you'll tell your insurer, but will VOSA/DVLA want an IVA ? and will the Insurer want an Engineers Report ?

We've all heard of DVLA wanting a VAT register garage to certify the CC change, but this is a lot more than that. (I mean you can get a 2.0 LET into an astra without changing the engine mounts, and can probably get a v6 3.2 Omega engine in a Nova with the same mounts - probably)

#69 OFFLINE   pauldoubleyou

pauldoubleyou

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHelensburgh

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:14 AM

I know you'll declare the CC change on the V5 and you'll tell your insurer, but will VOSA/DVLA want an IVA ? and will the Insurer want an Engineers Report ?
We've all heard of DVLA wanting a VAT register garage to certify the CC change, but this is a lot more than that. (I mean you can get a 2.0 LET into an astra without changing the engine mounts, and can probably get a v6 3.2 Omega engine in a Nova with the same mounts - probably)

Meh, dunno. The mk2 boys do this a lot. I think dvla are a bit hit and miss for proof of competency on the engine change. I’m sure I can muster something on headed paper.

Insurance wise I have a few people I’m in contact with who have just declared it and paid. Not that expensive though.

• tooSavvy likes this

#70 OFFLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 4,913 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

FlipFlop wearers (Proton Savvy enthusiasts in ML) bemoan the Singapore rozzers pulling the 'Saxo forum/Blinggers' boyzz over and arresting them for having a 2" stainless tip! on a stock exhaust system.... FFS!!

Can see it happening here...

TS

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_3f0da8b633_m.jpgSUCKS

#71 OFFLINE   pauldoubleyou

pauldoubleyou

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHelensburgh

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

FlipFlop wearers (Proton Savvy enthusiasts in ML) bemoan the Singapore rozzers pulling the 'Saxo forum/Blinggers' boyzz over and arresting them for having a 2" stainless tip! on a stock exhaust system.... FFS!!

Can see it happening here...

TS

Yeah I’m not daft enough or young enough to risk it, but I’ve got plenty of time to work it out. Worst case really I imagine it would be an hours labour from my friendly garage to get it inspected?

I imagine most coopers wouldn’t recognise the engine swap unless I put a sign on it saying it had been done.

• tooSavvy likes this

#72 OFFLINE   pauldoubleyou

pauldoubleyou

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHelensburgh

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

I think work will be getting in the way over the last few days but i managed to nip a thread on one mount. Just waiting on an M10 tap, but the engines been in and out a few times yesterday just to clean up the bay and the mounts, to make it look presentable. ordered a front mount today (ex fiesta diesel, dual pass) and im almost at a stage where the engine can go in and stay in. Squeee
  • fiatdaft, outlaw118 and tooSavvy like this

#73 OFFLINE   sofarsogood

sofarsogood

• Full Members
  • 145 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationEmerald Hill Zone

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:30 PM

DVLA accepted letter headed paper denoting an engine change no problem. Declared to insurance not too bad on price and all legal (ABF into MK1 Golf). Get out and drive it before the Internal Combustion Engine is banned!

Does it run it on gas? Its a V8 not a patio heater.

#74 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,271 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

Don't bother with the DVLA, they've made it hard work for everyone and it'll just give you a headache one way or another "Oh, you've welded a chassis leg - you need an IVA and a new registration" The penalty for trying to do the right thing is way worse than just not bothering. Make sure it's properly insured and drive it. Letting the DVLA know about an engine change that needed chassis alterations is like applying for planning permission for a garden shed within 1m of your garden boundary or notifying building regs that you're moving a socket in your kitchen - It's technically the right thing to do but in reality you're opening yourself up for a world of hurt without any real benefit.

• pauldoubleyou and AMC Rebel like this

#75 OFFLINE   vaughant

vaughant

• Full Members
  • 394 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

Don't bother with the DVLA, they've made it hard work for everyone and it'll just give you a headache one way or another "Oh, you've welded a chassis leg - you need an IVA and a new registration" The penalty for trying to do the right thing is way worse than just not bothering. Make sure it's properly insured and drive it. Letting the DVLA know about an engine change that needed chassis alterations is like applying for planning permission for a garden shed within 1m of your garden boundary or notifying building regs that you're moving a socket in your kitchen - It's technically the right thing to do but in reality you're opening yourself up for a world of hurt without any real benefit.

Really fair statement that.

Surely the only reason the chassis was welded was due to the rust you found when you removed the old broken engine?

That sounds about right?
  • tooSavvy and pauldoubleyou like this

#76 OFFLINE   rainagain

rainagain

• Full Members
  • 1,021 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationFife

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:15 AM

I'm sure someone on hear mentioned the easy way to deal with the dvla and engine swaps.
1. Write and tell them of capacity change 1.2-1.8
2. Once this has been done write and tell them the engine number has changed

Apparently this stopped their systems throwing a hissy fit

#77 OFFLINE   pauldoubleyou

pauldoubleyou

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHelensburgh

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

Superb advice guys, really appreciate it. The above three posts have really helped put my mind at ease.

Somehow the can of spray paint I used to paint the chassis legs after work was the colour of a telecom van (also the colour of the new focus st!?) so I’ve had to pull the engine again and repaint.

Thank god I managed to slowly run a tap down one of the engine mount holes and it worked. My own fault for cross threading it.

So, engine is in hopefully for the final time.

a7e20ff22cf4d05719e601bb1f02ef55.jpg

Next jobs are connecting the ancillaries, fuel, gear stick etc. The gear selector cables are a bit tight so I think I’ll end up moving the stick forward an inch if I can.

• Dave_Q and UltraWomble like this

#78 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 3,871 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:40 PM

Yeah I’m not daft enough or young enough to risk it, but I’ve got plenty of time to work it out. Worst case really I imagine it would be an hours labour from my friendly garage to get it inspected?

I imagine most coopers wouldn’t recognise the engine swap unless I put a sign on it saying it had been done.

PM sent

• pauldoubleyou likes this

#79 OFFLINE   hpi_matrix

hpi_matrix

• Full Members
  • 328 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 11:42 AM

I used to run a  16v VTS engine in a Citroen AX, it was insured properly but I never notified the DVLA as it always seemed like to much faff. The only time I got pulled over the copper didn't have a clue. I believe the fine for no tax is only £80 anyway.

The engine in that was a tight squeeze, a few mm from the rad and the bulkhead

dYwmWfP.jpg

• pauldoubleyou and Supernaut like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users