Lupo 20v turbo, sounds like a good idea

pauldoubleyou

Top work, loving what youre doing re: engine conversion etc.

Im with the people who said about keeping the full interior etc. though, and were it mine id either be going one step further and speccing it up or wouldve bought a 1.4 SE or something because I like my creature comforts too much, so standard exterior but from a model that doesnt look pov, so standard 14" alloys, colour coded bumpers and mirrors, front fogs, and a nice interior spec, factory 6 disc changer, electric windows, air con, etc. but still looks like a pensioners car and totally unassuming. 

I wish I had your mechanical skills that looks an amazing I even like the colour.

I can't work out why VW never raided the parts bin and built one themselves and called it a Lupo R as I'm sure it would of been the ultimate hot hatch that would of sold by the tens of thousands with no weight and plenty of go with cheap tried and tested components it would have been a winner.

They made a Lupo 1.6 GTi though didnt they? Maybe they thought that was mentalist enough and a good enough power/weight ratio for a wee small car, after all they were what 125bhp? 20VTs were 150bhp in stuff like Golf mk4 GTis etc, was really only stuff like the TTs, Leon Cupras, Cupra Rs and so on which got the 180 and 225s. Although chat back in the days was the internals of a standard 150 were good for 240bhp without much effort. 

Lupo GTI was quick but fairly tame really, it was the 125bhp 1.6 engine so not crazy mad but they (some?) got a 6 speed box which made it easier to keep it on the boil. I had a test drive in one I was thinking of buying, it was nice but really cramped, and as we crabbed up the Dronfield bypass at 100+ the salesman let slip that it had had about £8000 worth of bodywork done after a nasty accident which explained the less-than-linear progress we were making.

Later, at work someone had a silver one - quite a lot of GTI specific parts like aluminium door skins and different back lights made it expensive to repair when it got dinged. I do like the look of them though, wheel at each corner and the centre exhausts. Sadly now it's hard to find a sensibly priced, looked after one and there's about twice as many GTI lookalikes as there are GTIs

They made a Lupo 1.6 GTi though didnt they? Maybe they thought that was mentalist enough and a good enough power/weight ratio for a wee small car, after all they were what 125bhp? 20VTs were 150bhp in stuff like Golf mk4 GTis etc, was really only stuff like the TTs, Leon Cupras, Cupra Rs and so on which got the 180 and 225s. Although chat back in the days was the internals of a standard 150 were good for 240bhp without much effort.

They mucked about with injector, valve sizing and turbos over the years, but it's mainly the map that makes the difference. My Octavia has a 150hp stock tune, but it's the same engine code as a VRS, Cupra etc. 220-230 with a map. I really must get round to it...

Lupo GTI was quick but fairly tame really, it was the 125bhp 1.6 engine so not crazy mad but they (some?) got a 6 speed box which made it easier to keep it on the boil. I had a test drive in one I was thinking of buying, it was nice but really cramped, and as we crabbed up the Dronfield bypass at 100+ the salesman let slip that it had had about £8000 worth of bodywork done after a nasty accident which explained the less-than-linear progress we were making.

Later, at work someone had a silver one - quite a lot of GTI specific parts like aluminium door skins and different back lights made it expensive to repair when it got dinged. I do like the look of them though, wheel at each corner and the centre exhausts. Sadly now it's hard to find a sensibly priced, looked after one and there's about twice as many GTI lookalikes as there are GTIs

Friggin hell! how much were they worth back then that 8 large on body repair wasnt enough to write it off?

One of the reasons they didnt do a full fat gti lupo was that it would step on the toes of the Golf gti. Who would buy the golf if the lupo was quicker?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

More likely so it didnt step on the toes of the Polo GTi, Golf GTis are an icon in many peoples eyes so doubt it wouldve stole their sales, especially as Golf GTis are also seen by many as a good allrounded, fast, fun hot hatches, but comfortable, refined, spacious, practical, and supposedly well equipped, so youve got a 5 door, family car with decent boot but also a fast car to thrash about too. 

They mucked about with injector, valve sizing and turbos over the years, but it's mainly the map that makes the difference. My Octavia has a 150hp stock tune, but it's the same engine code as a VRS, Cupra etc. 220-230 with a map. I really must get round to it...

It'll be a different engine code. Look on the head, theres a tab of sorts with the code burned into it with a laser. Mines an AUQ out of a vrs which gives 180. Tt 225s are BAM. There's loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'll be a different engine code. Look on the head, theres a tab of sorts with the code burned into it with a laser. Mines an AUQ out of a vrs which gives 180. Tt 225s are BAM. There's loads.

It's a 150bhp AUM with KO3S turbo, VVT and big injectors. The only difference from the AUQ is a different rubber boot/ seal on the intercooler. Otherwise identical to a VRS AUQ except for map and the engine code stamp.

Enjoying the work, did I miss which gearbox you are using? Also what's the pedal box from for the FBW?

It's a 150bhp AUM with KO3S turbo, VVT and big injectors. The only difference from the AUQ is a different rubber boot/ seal on the intercooler. Otherwise identical to a VRS AUQ except for map and the engine code stamp.

Enjoying the work, did I miss which gearbox you are using? Also what's the pedal box from for the FBW?

Ah gotcha, so did it originally have the k03? Coming from t3 and t25 I'm supposed how small they are.

Trying to remember the gearbox code now but it's the vrs five speed. I already need to notch the chassis and a six speed is just a bit too long. O2a rings a bell? I'll check.

Pedal box is from a lupo tdi for the hydraulic clutch, but I had to chop and weld a new bracket on for the vrs fbw pedal. Quite proud of it.. I even used captive nuts and nice new Allen bolts. It was one of those jobs I took ages to do so it's right :)

No, KO3s as stock. Literally identical to an AUQ except intercooler pipework and the stamp on the block. And a different map.

I know what you mean about size, guess that's the benefit of variable vane turbos. The Garrett on the 1.6td going in my Scirocco is massive by comparison.

Be interested in seeing photos of how it's fitted?

Always interested in touching myself looking at turbos. Especially garretts, i cut my teeth on T25s in Rover T16s, and bodging them to T28s.

Id like to say theres progress but all ive done is buy parts as ive been on the sick. 

Bought a gearbox mount, airbag light removal resistor, two nuts to make captive in the chassis for bolting it in and thats about it!

Hoping i dont need to notch the chassis at the moment, i have just had a read of some other conversion threads and it seems that is only for the six speed boxes. Seems. 

This is ace, banging on ten years ago I had a Lupo. It was a 1.4s and the stem seals went so I put a whole new engine in for some reason. Back then a 1.8T was megamoney and I was a student and spent all my income on alloy wheels so I put another 1.4 in. It went pretty well though in all honesty.

post-3886-0-99080500-1503697368_thumb.jpg

Anyway if you need the immobiliser knocking off the ecu or owt then let me know, happy to help!

This is ace, banging on ten years ago I had a Lupo. It was a 1.4s and the stem seals went so I put a whole new engine in for some reason. Back then a 1.8T was megamoney and I was a student and spent all my income on alloy wheels so I put another 1.4 in. It went pretty well though in all honesty.

attachicon.gifDSCF0049.jpg

Anyway if you need the immobiliser knocking off the ecu or owt then let me know, happy to help!

Mate I need exactly that, although I would happily pay. Any chance you can remove stuff from the map, such as the n75 valve, sec air system solenoid and power steering switch?

Progress. A few days off work and no wife to listen to led to some actual positive movement. Crane got delivered and I did a test fit.. won't be going in through the top. I think it will best fit by jacking the car up, taking the mounts off and lifting it up into place from underneath.

The joys. Car saw some sunshine today to allow me to work in the drivers footwell and finalise the interior and second seat. All that's left is to drill the holes for the harness next to the handbrake and bolt to a spreader plate.

Pics:

a82f634c19ca4a33d6b2b2241a4ce03e.jpg

8fe3193b96a908f862983072218230f2.jpg

fe27885a2a604a94138ccfdfa603c478.jpg

Tired Paul.

8e94634b647c9546caece22be2ab88d5.jpg

Mate I need exactly that, although I would happily pay. Any chance you can remove stuff from the map, such as the n75 valve, sec air system solenoid and power steering switch?

Sorry, missed your reply earlier. What's the ECU out of? Immo off is pretty easy and while I have done a bit of mapping with these, I don't know if I'd easily be able to stop warning lights. I couln't get my Ibiza to stop moaning at me about a decat.

There might be an off-the-shelf stage1 tune that adds 40bhp I could put on there if you want, and antilag/no lift shift is pretty straightforward too but it might be a bit harsh on a road car.

Sorry, missed your reply earlier. What's the ECU out of? Immo off is pretty easy and while I have done a bit of mapping with these, I don't know if I'd easily be able to stop warning lights. I couln't get my Ibiza to stop moaning at me about a decat.

There might be an off-the-shelf stage1 tune that adds 40bhp I could put on there if you want, and antilag/no lift shift is pretty straightforward too but it might be a bit harsh on a road car.

It's originally out of an octavia VRS. Deffo interested in the immob removal and maybe the tune too tbh, you got a price in mind? I could get the other stuff mapped out later tbh.

I'm presuming you're competent and know what you're doing obviously, as all internet peoples are lol

I'm presuming you're competent and know what you're doing obviously, as all internet peoples are lol

No reflection on competence/otherwise of offer....

I'm spellbound that '40brake & a torque hike' can be sent as an email attachment. I make this observation in light of Carlton carb trials&tribulations elsewhere ;)

TS

There should be something available for a VRS I'd have thought. Whats the part number on your ECU?

It might be easier than you think to take the immobiliser off, you could even do it yourself with a £10 lead off ebay - You just have to open the ECU up and bridge two pins with a fine wire. The map is even easier, just plug in and click "go"

Thats some scary shit that you can just apply a generic map that easily. As said above its a lot easier than tuning a carb! Update incoming, mounts are about done and the engine is awfully close to being under its own weight in the bay. 

some serious welding required now as I had to chop notches out of the chassis to get it to fit within some kind of decency

Just to add i also thought the immob delete was a reflash / removal and addiiton of a new eeprom chip but i could be wrong, ill get a part number thanks :)

No need to replace the EEPROM, you just bridge a pad to ground to put the ecu in "Boot mode" which allows you to read and write the EEPROM over the OBD2 connector without removing it or using any fancy equipment.

Once you've read the contents, there's a program to remove the immobiliser  code from it, then you write the modified file back onto the ECU.

Then you can remove the bridge wire you soldered in and the ECU will free run without looking for an immobiliser.

The contents of this thread are sounding more and more similar to the Techy Thread over on the open forum every day!

It does bode well that in some cases, ECUs are "hackable" - not just for more power but I can see a future where some sensors will be NLA and the ECU can just be rewritten to use parts from other manufacturers.

A bit like the graphics card in your Asus PC failing, you just put a totally different one in and change the driver.

Losing the immobiliser is also good, no doubt there'll be insurance grumps if they knew but how many times do old cars get sent over the bridge for an immobiliser fault? Just pick and choose the features you want your car to have.

No need to replace the EEPROM, you just bridge a pad to ground to put the ecu in "Boot mode" which allows you to read and write the EEPROM over the OBD2 connector without removing it or using any fancy equipment.

Once you've read the contents, there's a program to remove the immobiliser  code from it, then you write the modified file back onto the ECU.

Then you can remove the bridge wire you soldered in and the ECU will free run without looking for an immobiliser.

Christ alive  :shock:  ain't you clever !   :-D

black magic,i tells ya.

In days of old you would have been dunked as a witch.

The contents of this thread are sounding more and more similar to the Techy Thread over on the open forum every day!

It does bode well that in some cases, ECUs are "hackable" - not just for more power but I can see a future where some sensors will be NLA and the ECU can just be rewritten to use parts from other manufacturers.

A bit like the graphics card in your Asus PC failing, you just put a totally different one in and change the driver.

Losing the immobiliser is also good, no doubt there'll be insurance grumps if they knew but how many times do old cars get sent over the bridge for an immobiliser fault? Just pick and choose the features you want your car to have.

More likely to happen is that sensors will have adapter boards to convert the signal from a generic sensor to what the ECU expects. Already possible to DIY easy enough, just little need to.

Also likely possible to rewrite the firmware on ECUs. Especially not that hard, as one thing the diesel emissions scandal has highlighted is that Bosch ECUs are all the same firmware. There are constants and lookup tables that the manufacturers change to suit their needs but the basic firmware is the same. This is how remappers remove/map out the DPF and/or EGR valves.

Already with Saab ECUs the firmware has been disassembled, understood and altered.