What do we reckon to........

purplebargeken

My view, as a past owner, seems to be at variance with the replies so far!  Mine was a 2002 petrol 2.0 and suited me quite well.  What I would say though, is be ready to replace front suspension bushes on a regular basis.

Is the 2.0 maybe faster?

My late friend Roland and I went to our friendly Chrysler dealer during launch week with the intent to lease one each,

to be used as shop haulers for our businesses.

We skipped the 2.0 and test drove the 2.4 EDZ with five speed straight away, rated at 150 PS.

It was absolutely hopeless. We walked away.

EDZ would be diesel?  You know my view on that!  Business or otherwise, avoid at all costs.  A 2.4 petrol engine arrived about four years into the run, which might be worth considering, but diesel?  Let the banger boys have them.

Also, under NO circumstances whatsoever take on a PT in silver or black.  These are the least suitable colours for any car ever, but most especially for a PT.

Whilst attendiinng a family Wedding in Dayton Ohio, in 2009, I had occasion to hire a large engine petrol one. I'm thinking large V6 auto.

I drove it from Chicago to Dayton and lots of trips around Dayton, and then back to Chicago.

It was "Meh"

The worst bits were the painted dash and reflected sunlight in my eyes and the clunky switches. And that fact that it was shite

I'm defending the Cruiser here. At least Chrysler tried. All this boorishness over them being crap.

No, THIS is crap. More crap than a faded red scrapyard 3 cylinder Vauxhall with a sea of grey plastic trim.

elderly-couple-flips-honda-in-bel-air-ta

Honda-Jazz-main_1564505c.jpg

If I didn't have to follow another at sub 15mph again, it wouldn't be soon enough. Pure vomit.

Designed purely with death row in mind.

Bought purely because 'it'll do'.

Sold to another grey/beige because 'it'll see me out until I die'.

Ha! Just bought the wife one of those in February.   It has the CVT as well for extra dullness.   She loves it, it takes her to work and back every day, cold AC, amazing interior space, tough as old boots - it's the perfect tool for the job.

As for PT Cruisers didn't we decide on one of he other threads that they were too shit for Autoshite even thought that should be an oxymoron?

I'm with Ken here - deffo an itch that needs scratching, despite every reply on here being avoid like the plague. I must be in a minority of one who likes the look of the Cruiser.

If one comes up for buttons I'm just going to have to buy it.

However, if a CityRover comes up at the same time and for the same money, I'm afraid brand loyalty in terms of ultimate shiteness would win through.

I want to drive the lowest low, be it Cruiser or ShittyRover, so everything else that comes into my ownership thereafter positively shines.

My folks had one in black a few years ago.

All of the comments as above are true (especially the colour as looked like a TX4 taxi, which may not be a bad thing)

None of the above would put me off as was a reasonably nice place to sit and looked different to the normal.

The only thing that has not been mentioned is that they have the turning circle of the Titanic.

If it's an itch that needs scratching go for it, but take one out for a spin first to make sure you can live with the rash that could appear.

They are shit, utterly shit, the only good thing about them is the aircon, the gearknob and the practicality, I owned one, everything worked, it was fucking shit, gutless, noisy, thirsty, suspension arms made of cheese, impossible access, slow, shite, the turning circle of the QE2, I could go on,  I would not recommend one to my worst enemies.

They are shit, utterly shit, the only good thing about them is the aircon, the gearknob and the practicality, I owned one, everything worked, it was fucking shit, gutless, noisy, thirsty, suspension arms made of cheese, impossible access, slow, shite, the turning circle of the QE2, I could go on, I would not recommend one to my worst enemies.

"Everything worked" makes it sound alright.

I'd rather buy a Neon.

I am so fucked up that I would actually like to try out a Neon.

However, even though they share some underpinnings, I wouldn't go near a PT Cruiser. Not much help, but just my opinion.

Nonetheless, if you want to try a Cruiser out, I would say to go for it anyway. They can be found fairly cheaply as they are so undesirable.

They are shit, utterly shit, the only good thing about them is the aircon, the gearknob and the practicality, I owned one, everything worked, it was fucking shit, gutless, noisy, thirsty, suspension arms made of cheese, impossible access, slow, shite, the turning circle of the QE2, I could go on,  I would not recommend one to my worst enemies.

You liked it then?

That's an absolutely ringing endorsement.

What's stopping you?

Let's redress the balance then. I quite like them. I do feel though that Chrysler missed a trick by not making them a bit more special. Surely the retro/pseudo-rod look is crying out for a big motor and rear wheel drive; could've been a kind of full sized Plymouth Prowler? I also quite like the fact that there are people around who OMG"customize" them in the "style" of the red one above. Reminds me of when I were a lad and Street Machine and the like were full of classy stuff, whereas what you saw on the street was very much as above, ie silly paint and wheels and loads of stick-on tat. It takes a lot of balls/bottle/lack of taste/stupidity/whatever to drive around in something like that, which I sneakily admire.

I've never really liked them but the diesel example my boss bought for a banger rally hasn't been a bad car. It is reasonably quick, comfy (when suspension bushes aren't knackered) and handles well.

Currently needs a strut and wing after a bump as well as a battery and injector seal so is sat with the 405 as nobody wants to scrap it.

Ill add to this as someone who has owned one. 

I had an 02 diesel. Full leather etc. 

Engine was ok, 42mpg, average power. Car was noisy, slid about in the seats that were like dining room table chairs. Youre sat very upright in them. 

Was meh. Would have another but wouldnt do it on purpose.

I own two a diesel and a petrol. If you want a quick, perfect handling car that does 60mpg and that looks like every other car on the road dont buy a PT. The clue is in the name Cruiser. If you want a comfortable car that doesn't have a windscreen for a bonnet, that you can see other traffic at t junctions in and that you will never lose in a car park buy a cruiser. More specifically buy a limited trim one, then you get electric leather heated seats, traction control, cruise etc. Buy one with the cambelt done or expect to pay what the car cost and lose your garage owner as a friend to get it done.

I am not going to encourage anyone to buy one as I would much rather keep the supply of these at £500 a time to myself....