Best Car Ever? Discuss

Hendry

The best car I ever had was a 1996 Passat TDI Estate.  It ticked all of your criteria, especially with a chip and a bigger exhaust.

MYPAS001.JPG

It was also really boring.

Your criteria reduces the "best car" to being the "best appliance". A car should have a bit of character as well.

The car I actually bonded with was my 305 estate although it was a bit slow.  I am also loving the XJ X350 diesel at the moment.

If I have to get clever about the thought process, I'd say the W168 Mercedes A-class LWB - immense inside with a footprint like a properly small car (under 4m - SWB is 3.6 IIRC), also comfortable. Not very well made in some areas (suspension components in particularly), harder to self-maintain, not "fun" to drive particularly (not awful, but neutral). If a communist government decreed all citizens could have one car, to suit all their needs, an A-class can be a van, a five-seater family car, a car with a big boot for luggage... it should be the Trabant for the 21st Century.

The problem with the A-class is that while the concept behind it was ultimately sound, the execution was pisspoor. However, the original Renault Scenic managed to incorporate most of the W168 plus points you mention, but combined them with traditional French suspension and seats; an airy, glassy interior; decent in extremis handling and bulletproof mechanical units (particularly the pre-commonrail diesels). Admittedly they don't quite share the same tiny footprint but the Scenic's not exactly big.

post-20075-0-59356800-1502980676_thumb.jpg

You can even have an offroad version if you happen to be a rural/closet OLLI type.

post-20075-0-30692400-1502980699_thumb.jpg

The problem with the A-class is that while the concept behind it was ultimately sound, the execution was pisspoor. However, the original Renault Scenic managed to incorporate most of the W168 plus points you mention, but combined them with traditional French suspension and seats; an airy, glassy interior; decent in extremis handling and bulletproof mechanical units (particularly the pre-commonrail diesels). Admittedly they don't quite share the same tiny footprint but the Scenic's not exactly big.

attachicon.gifrenault-megane-scenic-1.jpg

You can even have an offroad version if you happen to be a rural/closet OLLI type.

attachicon.gifRENAULTScenicRX4-2005_1.jpg

If I had trusted them not to die instantly, I'd have had an RX4 in the Borders.

On the strength of me owning the blue 740 you see below, my mate Dave (who now has the ex-TaxiPaul Rover 75) bought first the grey 940, then the white 740.  When we left for Cyprus I gave him the blue one too.

post-4559-0-40357700-1503007784_thumb.jpg

post-4559-0-12428600-1503007754_thumb.jpg

I'd have it back if it still existed, that's how much I liked it.