For sells: Another DAF 66 Kombi!

Fabergé Greggs

Thanks to a fellow Daf owner, I had this on some

ramps today.

The belts are very loose which can't be helping things, though they're in pretty good condition considering they're dated 1973.

The left diaphragm is knackered and the right is a bit leaky. Sadly they're out of stock everywhere for a month or so.

Oh, and I got a ride in this little honey. It really was sewing machine smooth, and so great to see how the transmission should work when perfect..

faaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppppppp

ive not been looking at pre 72 ones on their home country website honest

Took advantage of the sunshine today to get this up on some axle stands on the street and have a pop at adjusting the belt tension.

All went well once I'd figured out how to get it jacked up high enough to get an axle stand in.

The belt adjustment was waaaaaayy out, although I think I may have slightly over tensioned them now. I was pretty excited to drive it, thinking that it may make a massive difference. Although the initial take off is much smoother, sadly the reviness remains. It is slightly better in that overdrive is kind of working, you can feel it change up a bit when you come off the throttle now.

As well as needing diaphragms and a new set of belts (once tensioned you can see that one is a bit more worn than the other), I kind of suspect that something is up with the centrifugal weights in one primary, as at certain speeds it can be a bit jerky, as though one belt is fighting another. It is possible that this could be caused by one diaphragm being worse than the other..

Hey ho.. seems like I'll be spending some coins on parts and spending a few days under it on the street!

I forgot to take snaps apart from this one, but you can see how the adjustment bolt ended versus where it was by the clean section on the bolt.. this takes flippin ages as you can only fit an open ended spanner on and make about 1/16th of a turn!

post-17997-0-22921600-1506279804_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been using this pretty regularly for little blasts around the neighbourhood, which has revealed some urgent tasks that need doing, alongside some less urgent tasks that I hope will make this little thing completely useable both in the day to day and long haul adventures. I'm writing them all down here in the hope that it will spur me on to tackle them bit by bit. 

• Exhaust: The middle section is completely shot, and is now basically hanging off. I could maybe get away with replacing just the middle section but in all honesty the rest of it looks ready to fall apart too and you can get a full system from Daf hobby for £150 or so, which I may as well do. 
  • Grinding from passenger side front brake: Hopefully something simple, but who knows? 
  • Belts and Diaphragms: Christ this all adds up, we're already at about £450 in parts. 
  • Oil/ coolant change: Sounds silly  but having some fresh oil in there would make me feel a lot better about how revvy it is currently. 
  • Air filter: Cannae wait to replace that horrible K&N style. I have a filter now, so all I need is some hose. 
  • Steering play: there's a hilarious level of vagueness about the straight ahead.. I'm hoping that's something obvious as opposed to the rack, which is pretty pricy for a recon. 
  • Light switch: The headlight switch currently causes the headlights to go off at convenient* moments. I think I'll put a relay on them actually, always seemed a good mod on other cars to relieve the pressure on flakey old switches. 
  • I need to find a jack, and a bonnet strut. 
  • Inertia reel seat belts: Does this make me soft? They seem so convenient compared to being trapped back against your seat. 
  • ICE yo! I picked up some nice quality Satellite style speakers from a 5.1 setup complete with sub from freecycle the other day. There's loads of space under the dash to mount a couple of the speakers with the sub in the boot. I have a lovely old Sony amp kicking around with active crossovers that should power them and then some.. I'll feed the amp with a £2.99 Bluetooth receiver from the bay. It should hopefully be discreet and sound great. 

There, now I've put them all in a list it doesn't seem so bad. I think I just need to get busy with the credit card. It's only money (that I don't have) after all..

Static seat belts. Learn to love these! I wish my car had them.

Once you get the knack and habit of loosening them before you take them off and tightening them when you put them on they are fine. No pressure across the chest either when set just right.

And this is the best bit: when you feel like hooning it a bit, push back against the seat, pull the belt tight and then you're cinched in tight to the seat and can't slide about however flat and shiny the seats are.

• Grinding from passenger side front brake: Hopefully something simple, but who knows?

If it has discs, it will be simple and cheap. If it has drums, good luck... I'm still fighting mine, and parts are unobtainium.

• Steering play: there's a hilarious level of vagueness about the straight ahead.. I'm hoping that's something obvious as opposed to the rack, which is pretty pricy for a recon. 

Probably the rack bushings, I'm afraid. TADTS.

• Light switch: The headlight switch currently causes the headlights to go off at convenient* moments. I think I'll put a relay on them actually, always seemed a good mod on other cars to relieve the pressure on flakey old switches. 

Check the spade connectors at the fuse box - they crumble with age and can cause this problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Little jobs can be so satisfying. Finally got round to changing the fan belt- which took all of 45 seconds. Look at the state of the old one, it's about half the width it should be! 

IMG_0374.jpg

Also finally fitted the proper air filter with a generic bit of ducting from my friendly factors. It's so much quieter under acceleration now, with a flat whilst pulling away from a standstill now completely cured. As previously predicted, the cone filter must have been making it run a touch lean. Can anyone tell me where to route the little pipe from the filter housing to? 

IMG_0379.jpg

Septembre 1972

IMG_0376.jpg

Old vs new

IMG_0378.jpg

This is what £160 worth of drive belts look like whilst hanging around, waiting to be fitted. 

IMG_0383.jpg

Anyway, with it driving fairly well, save for fucked exhaust and grumbly bearing/brake on passenger side front, I went and did some shopping. 

IMG_0382.jpg

Finally, if this doesn't make you smile, you're dead inside. 

IMG_0375.jpg