For sells: Another DAF 66 Kombi!

Fabergé Greggs

Pump was a Facet SS501 and some other bits from Mini Spares Centre.

I'll dig out the receipt later.

It was mounted at the rear of the car (better at pushing) and only place I could find was behind the tank. Never got round to fitting the inertia switch. Was an arseache running the power feed beside the main look to the rear of the car.

Just stick a fresh mechanical pump on, much less hassle ;)

Pump was a Facet SS501 and some other bits from Mini Spares Centre.

I'll dig out the receipt later.

It was mounted at the rear of the car (better at pushing) and only place I could find was behind the tank. Never got round to fitting the inertia switch. Was an arseache running the power feed beside the main look to the rear of the car.

Just stick a fresh mechanical pump on, much less hassle ;)

I’ve ordered a £6 primer bulb until I can decide if I want the hassle or not..

Car maintenance isn’t working out for me today. I leant:

1) The Lidl oil pump I bought to do an oil change doesn’t fit down the dipstick tube. Either I have a small dipstick tube or pela pumps have a teeny tiny tube.

2) the primer pump I bought on amazon has 8mm fittings and not 6mm like I need.

3) the primer pump hasn’t worked- i primed like a lunatic for 10 minutes and nothing..neither does sucking through the petrol feed pipe- nor does using the Lidl oil pump as a kind of vacuum pump to try to draw petrol through. Do I suddenly have a hole in the fuel pipe? What’s going on?

4) I then spilt a full bottle of 3in1 into the boot over everything.

5) the new fuel pump I ordered hasn’t arrived.

Naturally I really need to use the car on Wednesday, hoping to do 200 miles.

BALLS

Haven't read back through but have you checked the points and condenser? It was those things that caused me grief on my MGB and its second FTP. Also very common failure point on all distributor classics.

It’s more that the fuel ain’t pumping. Runs like a champ with a float bowl full of fuel.

Ah yeah thats probably not the points.

Tried sticking the tank fixing end onto a bit of pipe and into a can? Just wondering if the tank pickup is blocked.

I guess you're fed up of trying to diagnose it and just want it working now?

I’m pretty certain it’s a hole in the fuel line.

I can blow back down the line into the tank and hear bubbles, and I can freely suck air through the fuel line, but no petrol is pulled through.

I need the garage to do it as I can’t be drilling the tank on the street to replace the line, and the car only runs on one float bowl at a time, so it’ll need to be a tow.

Also proving that it's the line or the tank that's at fault.

Where on the tank does it draw its fuel from? I ask as if it's from the top, it's not unknown that the stack pipe inside the tank (the bit that reaches not quite the bottom of the tank inside) falling off or even rotting part way. I've chased running problems round till I'm tearing my hair out then the lightbulb moment - aha!

I refer to my comment (145) on the last page.

You have a hole in the fuel pipe, probably by the tank. To confirm run a temporary long pipe from a can in the passenger footwell, to the pump. After priming, should be good to go, enabling you to drive it wherever.

Access on most old cars can sometimes be made via the sender inspection hole, although, if tight, the tank may indeed need dropping. Horrid job, but not difficult. Ensure ethanol compliant hose so it doesn't happen again.

I refer to my comment (145) on the last page.

You have a hole in the fuel pipe, probably by the tank. To confirm run a temporary long pipe from a can in the passenger footwell, to the pump. After priming, should be good to go, enabling you to drive it wherever.

Access on most old cars can sometimes be made via the sender inspection hole, although, if tight, the tank may indeed need dropping. Horrid job, but not difficult. Ensure ethanol compliant hose so it doesn't happen again.

I fully agree with your diagnosis.

Temporary tank and journey to garage has just taken place. Thanks lads!

5_AACD010_E536_4_DC1_BDC0_FFF02_BB97_CB6

D8_BA3_BDC_0_CB1_46_DE_AC0_C_96_E58_F36_

Great that you got her there mate. I reckon that it is indeed the fuel line.

Don't s'pose you could ask them how much they might charge to sort the thermostat housing on the ZT for me please. I have the housing to hand.

Yup I’ll see what they say when I pick it up.

Most of the fuel line is nylon tubing. I bought about 30m of the stuff in Slough one day. Only need about 4m for a car...

The rest is just short linking pieces of fuel hose.

It runs inside the nearside underfloor transmission cooling duct and has a couple of aluminum pieces to hold a pair of right-angles at where is flicks up over the transmission.

https://flic.kr/p/4FbfNf

Joys! Delight!

This cheeky little sausage is back in the good books! The friendly local garage found a perished rubber hose that runs up and around the tank- all that trouble from a teeny little section of hose. Probably didn't need that new pump, but hey ho.

IMG_0977.jpg
IMG_0975.jpg

They did an oil change to 20w40 and set the valve clearances- they were way out and it now runs at half the volume! Sadly the supplied rocker gasket was wrong, but the original seems to have sealed nicely with some sealant.

Behold the shiny bits and new smooth running! It sounds clattery here but that's phones for you. Your ears would agree with me.

One remaining task before I forget- it has a healthy habit of marking its territory- I was hoping that this was mostly the rocker cover, but it transpires that the crank main seal is weeping a fair bit too. I’ll source one and have the garage pop it in. This having someone fix stuff for you concept is bliss!