Estate Debate. Tell me about V70s, W201s & Alternatives.

Sir Snipes

So I'm thinking what I would like for my next motor. I know I want a Petrol Auto and would like Cruise and the flexibility of an Estate. I don't care if it's RWD or FWD. I don't have any use for 4WD or any kind of sporty agenda and fuck Diesel. So far I've come up with;

post-20078-0-96863300-1502577002_thumb.jpg

post-20078-0-94010000-1502577948_thumb.jpg

Volvo V70

For; Warbly 5-pot motor, Old school Volvo character despite being quite different to actual old school Volvos. Headlight Wipers.

Against; Getting old and tired having usually done interstellar mileage.

post-20078-0-26104700-1502577169_thumb.jpg

W202 Estate

For; Solid, Understated style like Mercedes of old

Against: Questionable Mercedes quality at the time? Also likely to be old and possibly tired. Hopeless 4 cylinder engines?

Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about either.

post-20078-0-13201700-1502579503_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-9-5-2-0t-auto-Linear-Estate-78-000-miles-Was-1950-Now-reduced-to-1580-/282569965843

9-5 might be a good shout and this looks nice.

Honda Accord No

Skoda Octavia No

Rover 75 Tourer Maybe

Peugeot 407 Maybe

Citroen C5 No

Subaru Forester No

Ferd Mungdeo No

What about a small SUV? No

Toyota CRV

Suzuki Grand Vitara

Or something proper shit(e?) for £975...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371837634043 Not a chance!

Imagine how much a 2006 Volvo estate with FSH, 90k and air con would be.

It seems like you aren't interested in the 740 and S124? Seems fair. 

The W202 estates are OK if not rotten, speaking of rot the W210 is probably out of the question as there are hardly any left.

W202s are OK but can rot too, the later ones seem to be all that's left, go over them carefully of course.

Definitely look at V70s over Benzes, there are decent ones out there of both body styles for not too much money, and at this point in time you can afford to be at least a bit choosy - doesn't seem that way with 740s any more. 

I'll just leave this here, taking reliable to another level so long as you avoid the Diesel like the plague, the only rust problem is the rear subframe, apart from that they're sound.

post-17700-0-33219000-1502598872_thumb.jpg

Yes it has AWD but you'd never know until you find that wet weather hasn't made a scrap of difference to how the car handles or puts the power down.

There are some giffer-owned V70s about which are good value. Avoid Geartronics and aim for the 170hp mapped 2.4 NASP engine as the 140hp mated with the autobox is too slow to be useful in my opinion. 2.4Ts with 200hp get the same MPGs (30) anyway so there's no excuse. :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

There are some giffer-owned V70s about which are good value. Avoid Geartronics and aim for the 170hp mapped 2.4 NASP engine as the 140hp mated with the autobox is too slow to be useful in my opinion. 2.4Ts with 200hp get the same MPGs (30) anyway so there's no excuse. :D

My van has less than half of 140bhp, it more than keeps up with traffic. Reset your expectations and an underpowered car is fine.

I've got an 850 and a 203, both estates, auto and they're gr9, but they're completely different.

The Volvo is much bigger, faster ® and comfier. The Merc is smaller, better handling and has a gr9 turning circle.

The 203 I've got is a much nicer car to drive than the 202 I had with half the miles, I'd chose a 203 over a 202 any day. I'm ignoring the crusty bits as it's a great car underneath. Mine is a c270 diesel which is currently on 225k miles and it drives like new, but with a blow on the exhaust and squished seat padding.

If you want petrol in the Merc go for the V6, the C240 are better on fuel than the 5-pot Volvo.

Volvo, just get a T5, you say you don't want sporty, so put it in "E" and don't use the loud pedal as much.

For long journeys and shifting furniture the Volvo is a better car, but the Merc is a better car for everyday use.

My V70 140 couldn't keep up with traffic at motorway speeds when fully loaded and on anything more than a slight incline. Maximum power and torque appeared to be at higher revs. Changing down fixed it obviously but I felt like it shouldn't have been necessary in a large family luggage motorway hauler.

Definitely each to their own of course and I've no shame in admitting I've been spoilt by larger more powerful cars from a younger age thanks to the shite my parents have owned!

My van has less than half of 140bhp, it more than keeps up with traffic. Reset your expectations and an underpowered car is fine.

Your van probably doesn't feel faulty above 3k rpm. The 140 & 170 lumps are the same with a different state of tune (Volvo changed bits so you can't swap ECUs, but that's another thing). When you drive a 140 it feels faulty as all the power goes missing when the revs raise, it really does feel like it breaks the drop off of grunt is that sudden.

Speaking of V70s, I'd go for the phase one. They drive so much better & feel more solid than the phase two.

Speaking of V70s, I'd go for the phase one. They drive so much better & feel more solid than the phase two.

Definitely this. I had a 2.0 8v phase 1 and a 2.4 phase 2. Phase 2 was horrid, I wished I hadn't sold my phase 1.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

My 850 is an Irish special; 2.0 10 valve auto, 126 bhp; tbh it's not by any stretch a slow car (could you even get a 2.0 10 valve in the uk?)

It's nice because it spent the first 12 years of its life as a Swiss embassy car; it's well specced (for a mid 90s Irish car) and with a main dealer service history so detailed that you'd know somebody else had been paying

But it drinks just about as much as a t5.

After driving ph1 and ph2 v70s of every engine, I prefer mine; it feels so much more solid and together

Buying carefully with a little ree-search, I'd say the best estate shite (under £750 for a goodun, say) in the 90s were CXs and Granadas, the 00s offered Aldi (C4 - 100-based) A6s and Benz 124s and today all that's left are the Swedes - the V70 Mk2 is as good a machine as a 9-5.

The square-rigged V70s can be bargains and define fin de siècle, they're reassuringly cheap to buy.

Well, if you fancy a beauty queen:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=260364

As nice as it is, it's over priced, a bit of negotiation would be required.

This would be a front runner for me though:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708027940189?advertising-location=at_cars&make=VOLVO&radius=1500&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&postcode=rm139al&page=7

Providing the electronic throttle module is ok.

It's the same model as mine, but mine is a P reg with the cable throttle.

The wheels are 15 inch though, I've got the same on my one.

Really cracking cars. These turbo models can really lift their skirts when required, and they're not bad on juice either.

Buying carefully with a little ree-search, I'd say the best estate shite (under £750 for a goodun, say) in the 90s were CXs and Granadas, the 00s offered Aldi (C4 - 100-based) A6s and Benz 124s and today all that's left are the Swedes - the V70 Mk2 is as good a machine as a 9-5.

The square-rigged V70s can be bargains and define fin de siècle, they're reassuringly cheap to buy.

Good to see you back fdb.