Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SPAZTEC DEVELOPMENTS - ANYONE WANT A 106 BUMPER? 22/10

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   dome

dome

• Full Members
  • 1,821 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of Fife

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

Aye, they do indeed ADTS.

In a fit of fuck-knows-what i decided that buying one of these with a fucked head gasket 60 miles from where I lived would be a good idea.

I also decided cycling there and driving it home would be "interesting" 

In Scotland. 

In February.

Cycle up was no bother apart from the mild blizzard above Largs (Ayr to Garelochead), stopping to pick up some K-Seal on the way.

Arrived to the bemusement of the seller, got changed, handed over some cash and added the K-Seal to the coolant and headed off on my trip home.

Fucker boiled up 2 miles later and emptied the coolant system, along with my precious K-Seal. 

I lost count of the amount of times I stopped to top it up (not using seawater at all, no siree) until I eventually reached Halfords in Dumbarton.

In a shit or bust attempt I bought the angriest sounding block sealer they had (steel Seal or something similar), filled it up, bled it up and headed south with the heater on full to a: thaw me out and b: warn of impending doom.

I got all the way to the A77 just outside Ayr when the heater started to blow cold. Limped it back to my lockup and forgot about it for a while. 

When I could face the thing again it was one of the easiest head gaskets I'd done, I'm sure I gave it a new timing belt aswell as a skim and it was under £100 all in. Smoked about in it for a while then flogged it on. It was the 3rd 106 I've had, great wee cars. Mostly...

Sorry for the hijack, best of luck!

• M'coli, dougiefourspeed, dodgytom and 2 others like this

#122 ONLINE   Mr Laurence

Mr Laurence

• Full Members
  • 285 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:24 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of a mid-mounted RWD 3.0 TDV6 HDi out of a 407 Coupe with a Nissan GT-R Hybrid turbo and sequential gearbox from Tim Harvey's 1998 BTCC Peugeot 406 but eBay searches have so far proved fruitless.

When eBay fails, Gumtree has the answers

$_86.JPG

https://www.gumtree....-v6-/1270361684

(However, not only does this look unfathomably dangerous, it's not worth anywhere near £3.5k)
  • Supernaut likes this

#123 OFFLINE   dougiefourspeed

dougiefourspeed

• Full Members
  • 193 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationBumming-on-sea.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:00 PM

When eBay fails, Gumtree has the answers

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/...

https://www.gumtree....-v6-/1270361684

(However, not only does this look unfathomably dangerous, it's not worth anywhere near £3.5k)

Christ, that looks like a right lash up. The shell looks to have been Miami Blue so is an S1 like mine, as is (what remains of) the dash but the front and rear end treatments are S2. The V6 appears to have just been dumped in the boot like a Tesco bag for life.

As an aside does anyone know anything about 2.2 HDi 406’s?
  • Vince70 and Mr Laurence like this

#124 ONLINE   Mr Laurence

Mr Laurence

• Full Members
  • 285 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:05 PM

Christ, that looks like a right lash up. The shell looks to have been Miami Blue so is an S1 like mine, as is (what remains of) the dash but the front and rear end treatments are S2. The V6 appears to have just been dumped in the boot like a Tesco bag for life.
As an aside does anyone know anything about 2.2 HDi 406’s?

Agreed. For what should be a huge project, it's terrifying how half arsed it all looks

#125 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

I blame Thatcher

• Full Members
  • 5,825 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationOn the shitter reading Practical Classics

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:38 PM

I asked the man for advice:

Attached Images

• 0849bd156cd15ac1bcb6e259dc4f9a2d.jpg

• Vince70 and dougiefourspeed like this

Autoshite. It's like Pistonheads...but without the wankers.

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F  730i. Prestigious.

1999 S  E36 318i Touring. Daily shitter.

1994 M 318Ti - Track whore

#126 ONLINE   unclecalzone

unclecalzone

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 69 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:32 PM

Rotten luck that the gasket let go so suddenly but then again looking at the picture of the header tank it did look pretty mayo’d up in there compared to the more usual odd glob of gunk.
I do know the 16vs had the better mls gasket fitted as standard but not sure - I’d say the late 8vs would be the same. At least they are still plentiful and cheap second hand too considering psa kept using them for years in most of their ranges.
Would make for a fun little car on the 1.1 gearbox, even if it was just a 1.4 you used
  • dougiefourspeed likes this

#127 OFFLINE   dougiefourspeed

dougiefourspeed

• Full Members
  • 193 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:55 PM

Rotten luck that the gasket let go so suddenly but then again looking at the picture of the header tank it did look pretty mayo’d up in there compared to the more usual odd glob of gunk.
I do know the 16vs had the better mls gasket fitted as standard but not sure - I’d say the late 8vs would be the same. At least they are still plentiful and cheap second hand too considering psa kept using them for years in most of their ranges.
Would make for a fun little car on the 1.1 gearbox, even if it was just a 1.4 you used

To be honest I was a little concerned about the mayo in the header tank, especially as my last two TU engine’d cars didn’t suffer with it at all. But everyone I spoke to said it was a case of TADTS. Which is fair enough, because they do seem to.

As far as the future of this little car is concerned I will do my best to prevent it from being bridged. The shell is very good and a mate who has a 106 16v he races at Lydden has expressed an interest as his car is getting pretty tired so it may go on to become some kind of WRC Group Z rally championship winner or something.

It was my commuting car though so I will need to replace it..

#128 OFFLINE   dougiefourspeed

dougiefourspeed

• Full Members
  • 193 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

This might be more of a question for the modern shite section but these cars are getting on a bit now so..

Does anyone have experience of the Mercedes C270 CDI circa 2002-onward? I have been pointed in the direction of a rust free example going for £cheap and a nice derv auto cruiser is quite appealing.

Motherfourspeed had a bit of a tale of woe with a similar age 220 CDI (injector and HP pump issues) but I understand the 220 and 270 lumps are unrelated? Anything to watch out for apart from the normal mid-00s derv drama?

I have attempted a bit of a google this evening but most of the Benz knowledge base seems to be from the US and thus a bit light on tales from the black pump, if you’ll pardon the expression.

EDIT: or is a 180K petrol a better bet? I’m looking at two. The diesel has 145k on, the petrol 107k.

#129 OFFLINE   dodgytom

dodgytom

C LI NT

• Full Members
  • 2,475 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:28 PM

Love the plate on your BMW

Piss pie
  • dougiefourspeed likes this

Why would I give my valuable time to people I would much rather kick in the eye?

#130 OFFLINE   dougiefourspeed

dougiefourspeed

• Full Members
  • 193 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 02:51 PM

So following on from the gasket carry-on the 106 was dragged out of the yard it shat itself in and transported to the Spaztec developments top-secret rural storage facility where it joined the Honda with the slipping clutch and the Ford Ka. I really didn't want to just send it over the bridge as its a good shell and tidy S1's are disappearing now but with the BMW still to get on with and the need to find a new "daily" (eurgh) car for commuting in, I simply don't know when I'm going to get the time to swap the engine out. 

I actually do have a TU engine sitting about from my Saxo-owning days, but its a 16v lump and I wouldn't really want to just dump another engine with twice the original power in there and run around on 1.1 brakes, suspension etc. So that would be a lot more work. I could buy a second-hand 1.1 and do the swap over a longer period of time but I have no indoor storage available right now for the car and I don't really fancy having it sat outside all winter and wasting a good shell. 

With that in mind, I offered the car and the engine to a good friend of mine who already owns a 16v converted S1 106 track car. He's owned it for a number of years now and sadly the bodywork of his car is starting to let go in the usual places, boot floor, inner wings and so-on. He is going to take the car on and use it to re-shell his racer. So whilst I'm sad to let it go, N246WKP will live on being blasted around the race-tracks of southern England. It would be nice to keep it on the road, but it will be better looked-after as a track car. So whilst its currently hiding in a corner, its not the end for the little Pug!

7JjFzH8.jpg

Does anybody on here want a Miami blue S1 front bumper? I bought it to replace the one on mine but now won't need it for obvious reasons. In decent used condition, no big cracks or splits. Its a non-fog lamp type. I'll upload a decent photo when I've had chance to get it out of the garage but there is one earlier in the thread. £25 to a shiter, collection from Hastings E. Sussex. 

Or... I would swap it for a Style 28 alloy wheel with a decent tyre for my BMW if anybody has one locally? REGARDEZ CETTE PHOTO CI-DESSOUS.

5Ojl3tG.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users