Can't Tax Vehicle-Can I Use It?

Jerzy Woking

Bought another bike this afternoon, which is sorn'd. Got it home in a van and insured it. Went to tax it online to find it only has an 11 digit number and not the 12 they want. Can't tax it using their phone line either (same 1 digit problem). And all the post offices (in a ten mile radius) are closed.

So of I ride it tomorrow as I need to, what are the chances of me getting bum-raped by DVLA for riding a Sorn'd bike that is impossible to tax until Monday?

I will be using major trunk routes so my chances of avoiding their Big Brother cameras are non existent.

Any advice is welcome.

Tried sticking a zero in front of the 11 digit number. No luck.

Only have the V5C/2. It would seem that because the last owner had it for 12 years the V5 only has an 11 digit reference-later issued V5's have 12 digit reference numbers. Not my fault that DVLA can't deal with their own documents-they can stick any fine I get right up their arses.

I'm not sure that's really comparing like with like.  For one thing, if he taxes it on Monday, he will be paying from the beginning of the month anyway so it will effectively be retrospectively taxed tomorrow.

Previous owner should have been sent a new-style logbook automatically though - bit odd that he hasn't.

Do the tax on line thing until you get to the 'computer says no' page.

Screen shot & save it in case you need it later.

Yeah, not sure that's going to work.

If it ain't taxed, it ain't taxed. It's like saying "I tried to pass my test, but the driving test office was closed so I thought fuck it and took a picture of the closed sign and been driving since".

My point was badly made, I meant to add and then sort it properly on Monday.

You may find the bug at the post office too as they use a similar system. You will need to apply for a new log book V5C alas and keep it off the public highway. We have a clamping epidemic in London...virtually every street has a yellow clamped car. Its alright having a good reason to not be taxed but once its clamped its clamped and expensive to get off and then try to get your money back...slim chance and lots of trouble. They don't enter private land but I'd still keep it out of view if possible.

• 1 month later...

Yo, I've got a green slip/logbook question.

Obv the lad I bought my blue Pony X2 from has not sent the logbook off, as none has come through to me. I signed the paperwork at the time though and I've got the green slip. Can I use this to A) apply online for a logbook or B) Pretend to be the seller and do the keeper change online?

I think so, if it's got a 12 digit number then you just need to drop either the 1st or last number as the one on the front is 11 digits apparently.

I haven't got a logbook handy to compare but you should be able to work it out if you have. 

While you're here, what happened in the case of DVLA vs Reg_Ballz that someone mentioned upthread there? 

Did you manage to get them to drop it in the end?

Obv the lad I bought my blue Pony X2 from has not sent the logbook off, as none has come through to me. I signed the paperwork at the time though and I've got the green slip. Can I use this to A) apply online for a logbook or B) Pretend to be the seller and do the keeper change online?

Take the first digit away from the number on the green slip and you will have the v5 reference number.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

They wrote me 3 threatening letters asking for £305, and I wrote back each time politely saying I had clearly paid all my car taxes in a timely manner and had no intention of paying their arbitrary and completely disproportional fine, and in the absence of any other option I would reluctantly attend a court hearing to discuss it. After the third angry demand letter they wrote another saying they would proceed with a prosecution, but I haven't heard anything else for 5 or 6 months now.

I've sent a request for a duplicate off and where it asks for the fee, written 'No fee enclosed as you lost the last V5'. Never had them argue it.

I had a letter back stating there was no sign of the logbook I sent in 1994, I guess it should have arrived by now so I paid the fee.

Wierdly when I have been chasing logbooks for my bikes with just a frame number a couple of times they have just sent a logbook with no charge, I guess at some point someone sent off the bottom of the old style logbook on these but the new owner didn't send off the top.

It is easier online unless it's 10pm,

I've just used the green slip online and dropped the first number, v5 was on the doorstep within the week

Isn't it 7pm when the DVLA computer inexplicably goes home for the night and won't accept online owner change requests until it starts work again at 7am? I really don't fully understand why it does that in a modern 24/7 internet enabled world.

I've done both the V62 to get the tax class changed for free from Disabled class to normal (I hadn't received the V5 yet, honest guv) and more recently online owner change when its been slow. As the online system doesn't involve someone entering the details from a big pile of v5 in some DVLA office, it usually only takes a couple of days to get the V5 through rather than the 2-4 weeks that sending the old V5 in takes.