Golf Swapperised - now at new home.

purplebargeken

• 1 month later...

Well. 

The Golf is still available so it seems. The chappie on here who expressed interest as a possible swap appears to have been kidnapped by evil dwarves and has not been logged on here for a while, nor are emails being responded to. 

Maybe work is being uber frantic, who knows for sure. Hope all is okay though.

130 odd thousand miles. Starts and drives very nicely indeed. Lonnnnng MOT.

Cosmetically challenged on the bonnet and the roof. Some scratches here and there. Lovely solid floors, slight rust on the wings (TADTS). Very tidy interior with GTI seats. PAS, keep fit windows, blah, blah, blah. New exhaust fitted a couple of months ago.

Needs: a central locking module, easy to fit (lives just under the O/S rear light), will fix if I get the chance. 

Interior light fuse went, will replace.

I have a mint set of proper VW alloys with nearly new tyres for an extra £120 if required. They are very, very lovely. 

£295 buys the car on the original steelies. 

Swap for something car of similar value (I will include the alloys for a swap), so £400 swappage value in total?

I quite liked it, but it did need an engine AND gearbox in the less than year I owned it for....

To be fair, shit was a bit of an exaggeration. It was an ok car, but I just found it very underwhelming. It wasn't particularly fast or economical, and had a decent, if not fantastic, spec.

Worth a go, but there are many better things out there. Wouldn't mind a go of a VR6, though.

It was exactly what I expected it to be, which helped I guess. 35-40mpg because when I had that I was just commuting the length of a 50mph boring road stuck behind HGVs. But no, it didn't really deserve a GTI badge apart from the slightly sporty looks. I have slightly rose tinted glasses about it because it's the car I bought myself when I split from a crazy ex and needed a bit of freedom.

I was going to say the engine lives on, courtesy of cobblers, but that's the engine I put in it rather than the engine you sold it with :)

Really cannot see why these are not loved.This one is pretty solid, well put together, drives nicely and happily motors along. Parts are cheap too and it is easy to work on.

I'd like to try the GTi version at some point.

The MK2 is a far better car in every respect.  They corroded less, the electonics were far less fragile, the GTI ones went like stink, they were ace on fuel, they felt better, they looked better.

Getting a good MK2 is hard work now though.

I've had a few MK3 golfs and I always claim to hate them.  They're a good solid car though, they're just not a MK2.

To be fair, shit was a bit of an exaggeration. It was an ok car, but I just found it very underwhelming. It wasn't particularly fast or economical, and had a decent, if not fantastic, spec.

Worth a go, but there are many better things out there. Wouldn't mind a go of a VR6, though.

The VR6 ones make a great noise and provided they're not rattling their timing chains off the guides are a fantastic steer.  The VR is a heavy old engine, but can be made to do some incredibly insane stuff.  Loads of them ended up in MK2's though, as the MK2 and MK3 share the mounting points for subframes, so it's a relatively easy swap.

I used to have a Mk3 CL with the underwhelming 1.6 AEE engine, I smashed a hole in the gearbox doing some inpromptu offroading in a retail park in Brislington and needed a replacement. The one I got for £70 delivered turned out to be the shorter ratio one from (I think) the 1.4 base spec one and with that fitted, plus a new clutch it didn't half shift along.

The gearing was very short - 70mph in 5th was 4k RPM and it'd redline in 5th at about 105mph indicated, but I reckon it took 2 seconds off the (admittedly shit original) 0-60 time.

Was fun, but wearing at motorway speeds.