Repatriation Not Necessary - 1987 Volvo 740 GLE

Ghosty

That's an odd thing to call them really, isn't it?  I suppose it's more palatable to most than the Corpse Van.

I think that is what their registration category is. They don't pay VED IIRC or they pay a low standard rate. Also, technically they are ambulances, it's just that their contents are in a worse state than the average NHS ambulance passenger.

Crankcase breather cleaned - no pics as Old Man offered to do it while I was out.

Doesn't really need the inlet manifold taking off if you take the intake stuff below it off instead, so was a bit less annoying. Some bits of tubing were replaced because they were knackered as well.

Fuel filter is on order now, next things to check are fuel pumps and oil/filter.

Crankcase breather cleaned - no pics as Old Man offered to do it while I was out.

Doesn't really need the inlet manifold taking off if you take the intake stuff below it off instead, so was a bit less annoying. Some bits of tubing were replaced because they were knackered as well.

Fuel filter is on order now, next things to check are fuel pumps and oil/filter.

You've found out now but yeah, the breather can be done from the side without removing the manifold. Did yours have the genuine breather? They're made of brass. Mine did and it was clogged solid which eventually caused the two plastic holder sections to blow apart! Non gen ones are plastic but just as good tbh.

Nice work so far.

Seems to be performing a little bit better for the

clean out. The breather was plastic but Volvo branded apparently.

Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the driver's seat to a comfortable position for people with dodgy backs? Whatever I do I just can't quite get the thing right.

Next step is adding a cushion or something but I'm not sure how that'd work out.

Wasn't bugging me at first but the more I drive it the more time in general my back is noticeably painful. :/

is the lumbar adjustment working? Usually its broken I find, I managed to open the seat in my 760TD and locked the lumbar support strap in the '3/4' position, helped a lot. You can buy a new mechanism thing from somewhere on the continent but I was too stingy.

Id say it works, it has a bloody massive range compared to the R8's. It goes from the seat having virtually no back so my upper back is being pushed at a dodgy angle, right up to impractically far out. It's really hard to find a balance where it's comfortable and it pushing on my back too much.

The seat base is hard to get level as well, I've found the easiest way to adjust it is to not be sitting on the seat while you do.

start with the distance to pedals so your legs are comforable using for/aft and height (if available)

then adjust back angle so you are not too upright and not too lay down so your back and arse are sharing the weight

then adjust steering whee*l so it is just under your wrist whilst sitting normally with your shoulders are against seat

*if no steering wheel in/out you need to use the seat angle

keep making small adjustments with the lumbar support over a period of time until you hit the mark

Can't say I've had any bother with mine. It's by far the best seat I've found for my back, I include house chairs etc in that too btw.

I crushed a disc in my back which causes the bone to grind together occasionally, but also makes the damaged disc remains squash out into the sciatic nerve casing me lots of leg pains. Correct posture in a seat and proper support are the key things.

That's actually given me an idea... I wonder if I can get scrap Volvo seats and build my own living room furniture!

Fuel filter changed. Easy job and made a noticeable difference - when I post a picture you'll see why.

Cold start solenoid has been examined.

It works - it's been disconnected because of the starter button, if it's connected along with the button it'd end up throwing fuel into the cylinders or something like that, not quite sure but there's a reason it's off. It's supposed to take a feed from the starter but the start button as is doesn't have the facility for that. Needs looking into.

The start button is there because the ignition barrel/switch was faulty.

Oh, and the radiator leaks. This could well explain why the temperature sits slightly above half all the time. Need to sort that soon as it's a potential time bomb.

Can't say I've had any bother with mine. It's by far the best seat I've found for my back, I include house chairs etc in that too btw.

I crushed a disc in my back which causes the bone to grind together occasionally, but also makes the damaged disc remains squash out into the sciatic nerve casing me lots of leg pains. Correct posture in a seat and proper support are the key things.

That's actually given me an idea... I wonder if I can get scrap Volvo seats and build my own living room furniture!

I find that The Volvo's driver's seat to be extremely comfortable on long journeys. Only The Aero's betters it.

Someone in America actually makes office chairs from scrap Volvo 200 and 700 front passenger seats. I imagine it would be easy enough to contrive something similar yourself if you have a suitable seat and the base bit from a swivel office chair :)

In black they do look rather like a discrete recently departed collection van, you know, the vehicle they use before the hearse is deployed.

A first call responder you mean? Weirdly these weren't very popular for that,

maybe because too obvious?

The trade predominantly used Carltons and Omegas for that.