Repatriation Not Necessary - 1987 Volvo 740 GLE

Ghosty

If it's had an aftermarket hu in the past the fader knob has likely been bypassed already. Ignore it.

If the toggle switch is related to the towbar wiring it won't do anything obvious until you've got a caravan hitched up to it, aside from make a relay click somewhere in then" depths of the dash. Again, ignore it.

Do you ever get the feeling Benjamin's just using us?

Seeing as my bike wasn't playing ball I took a little time out to look at the Volvo. Went over the exterior glass with some glass cleaner, boring. 

Stuck some Back to Black on the mirrors. 

Before:

36346475831_21b66c2b6c_b.jpg

After:

36483786545_149680e30f_b.jpg

I think it's going to clean up pretty bloody well.

Also looked at the bubbling paint on the roof.

36346475611_54e0df2c2d_b.jpg

Nothing. :-D Badly need a new sunroof seal though - where am I going to find one of those?

Nice job so far.

The sunroof seal technically isn't actually a seal. All it does is stop wind noise and wind getting under the sunroof lid. The water always gets past it but as long as your sunroof drain tubes are all clear (4 of them, one in each corner) it'll be ok.

Mines a bit old looking but still works ok. New ones, you might be able to get one from Volvo, maybe. If not you might have to try trim suppliers for a close match on the material/rubber and just buy it by the metre and make it fit.

Just ordered a pair of new sidelight units for it. One is broken at the moment and the other is horribly faded. They aren't evenly bright either.

I want to get rear lights for it too eventually (the lenses are flat, cracked and brittle), but that'll have to wait a bit as they're £50 each :shock: I might try and clean them a bit with some toothpaste for now.

So, the sidelight units weren't looking too smart. 

36358248982_fbc31f0f66_b.jpg

Driver's side is a giffer scrape, only one on the car.

35717400993_850a11586e_b.jpg

Passenger side one (original?), and one of the new reproduction ones.

They're super easy to fit - pull the lights out the back, undo a 10mm nut and push the unit forward. Access looks dicky on the passenger side but the washer bottle filler tube just pulls out, and then there's enough space for a small ratchet, so it's as easy.

Finished:

36526468035_6a45302502_b.jpg

35692050694_c6ac1914f7_b.jpg

The fit isn't perfect, but it's pretty good and the car looks way more presentable for it.

I also cleaned up the badges on the tailgate and put some filler on the converted rust around the sunroof aperture but that's all boring, no pictures of that.

Aye, the colour is something I just can't get over. As noted I have the 1987 brochure for the 740, and having looked through it (and seen several colours around) I have to say silver-green metallic is the colour I'd go for. Darker colours only really suit the saloon IMO, I've never seen a red flat face 740 (wouldn't look right IMO), and I just don't like the white and silver, too dull.  I like the gold, it's just not 'me'. I don't feel.

Silver-green really suits the car I think.

Apparently black was available as a special order colour but I doubt many people took it up. 

I can has V5. 

I think a bulb in the dash has blown, as the heater panel doesn't light up. 

Also, the cold start valve/solenoid thingy is unplugged, the area of the cabin fusebox with the in tank fuel pump fuse is melted (and has been for a few years), and the ignition for the car is on a push button.

Are these facts possibly related?