Repatriation Not Necessary - 1987 Volvo 740 GLE

Ghosty

By the way - if anyone has any sidelight units I need some. One is smashed and covered in clear tape, the other just doesn't look too smart.

Looking through the mounds of stuff.

There's tax discs, receipts, MOTs, Volvo official fitting guide for a load cover (there isn't one), all the MOTs etc up to 1997 when the guy bought it, even his hand written receipt from the second owner. There's an early 2000s blue V5, a 1990s V5, a couple of the second owner's MOTs to 1995, a warranty book full of service stamps for 1991-3, the sales forms from the second owner PXing it against his 405 GL 1.6 in 1990, and even a copy of the first owner's order forms and first V5! It was delivered new at Hindle & Walker Bolton, which explains why it has an HG (Preston) registration - judging by the order form H&W was a Lancashire chain of dealers, Accrington, Blackburn, Preston etc.

There's two copies of a book about 'The Volvo Care Commitment', 1987 saloon and estate brochures, 1990 brochure, 1993 accessory price list, 1990 200/700 accessory brochure, 1991 towing brochure, and 1991 performance figure sheet.

First owner was from Prestwich and second two both Hazel Grove. 

30 years old and it's never had an owner outside Manchester.

The self levelling suspension was retrofitted in 1997. That's good, it's less likely to be fucked, it's only got 50,000 miles on it as opposed to 173k.

Sounds like you've bought a really good car, certainly sounds like it's been well cared for.

You can get a lot of bits new still, though some isn't genuine.

Here's the sidelight/indicator units http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/index.php?cPath=515_671_675_711 £21 each isn't too bad. Tail lights available too.

They fit pretty good, I bought a pair of the sidelight units for my old saloon and they give the front end a bit of a refresh too, make it look tidy and clean.

Personal preference on this bit, but the silver/grey strips below the headlights where the wipers come through, I painted them gold (bodycolour) on my saloon too. Just changes the appearance a little bit, makes a bit more unique! Btw, you can get genuine Volvo paint touch up kits (aerosol and brushable) still too, that place I linked to sell them.

Here's my old ones front end to show what I mean about refreshing the front end!

36384549996_7f2af1b259_o.jpgIMG_0573 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

New sidelight/indicators and number plates make a big difference I think! Plus of course painting those bits under the headlights.

I'm not going to do this on the blue one I've got now though as I'll be fitting US front lights.

Classic insurance ?

Insured on a regular policy. Had to change companies though as Privelige wouldn't cover it due to being over 25 years old.

I tried FJ but they said the engine was too big for someone under 25 to get a policy on it. 

Went with Admiral, because cheapest.

Certainly are. Driving position is good, all the seat adjustment you could want, smooth, quiet, easy to steer, no problem with the size. It's ace :D

Glad your liking it.

I've got a fucked up back and these are about the only cars I can sit in for hours and hours and get out afterwards without back ache. The seats are superb.

I used to drive my old saloon from home near Portsmouth up to Doncaster to visit family etc quite regularly and it was a pleasure to drive over distances, they're built for it and do it very well.

You did very well for the money and I'm quite envious of your green velour and pale metallic green paint.  Get that rust bleb sorted, clean the knackers off it and you could well double your money on this one.  That said, it's all the car you'll ever need, possibly even all the car you'll ever want.  Tip runs, house clearances, boot sales, antique fairs, IKEA... the world is your oyster with this one.

I managed to get the sunroof open!

Seal is well fucked and the roof doesn't quite look like it's seating properly now.

There's a bit of rust inside the sunroof hole that needs sorting urgently. That bubble is just an extension of it.

I changed my radio too - took about an hour to work out how to get the old one out though. It was an ancient Pioneer that was probably fairly pricey at one point but sounded a bit shit and was quite hard to navigate. My Sony head unit is in there now and it sounds better. One of the rear speakers is broken alas.

It's still a mystery what the knob and switch do.