Repatriation Not Necessary - 1987 Volvo 740 GLE

Ghosty

I'm not bothered about the leather I don't think, it'd detract from the 'old car' feeling a bit. I really liked the green velour when I first saw it, so when I looked on the V5 and it said 'green' I got sort of excited, I had a feeling it'd have the green seats. 

That looks really smart, well done! The left switch is the toggle for front or rear speakers and does it have fog lights built into the headlight?

Cheers Trig - thanks, that seems possible. I'll have to have a mess but I want to put my own radio in it first as I know how it works better.

Not sure re:headlights, I thought these came with separate driving lights. The cutouts where they would be aren't holed either.

Black toggle is aftermarket for sure. Where do those red wires clipped up to the bulkhead go?

The starter motor is operated by a button on the steering cowl, that's the wiring for it. Service history had something about a dicky ignition switch in it. 

Radio were not standard either and had to be bought extra and dealer fitted.

It seems to have used to have a Volvo radio as I've just found a manual for one with the car's user manual in the Volvo branded binder thingy. Generic Pioneer CD/radio unit in there now, but I'm going to swap it out tomorrow.

The user manual leaves me none the wiser on the knob and switch.

The point about front fogs = immobiliser might be true too, as I don't think that red LED is original either. 

Your alarm system doesn't look like an original to me, I bet the additional wiring for that. The original alarm systems aren't that good in old age and cause problems, mines been re wired and hacked about a bit.

It isn't factory, there are several stickers saying so! The siren is the BFO black box on the left side of the bay.

I've just noticed that red wire leads to it.

Pleasing.

What's the story with the 'adjustable suspension' then?

It's a Monroe self levelling kit for towing. you get to the valve, gauge etc under the boot floor on the left, opposite side to the cubby hole full of emergency bodge bits. Judging from some info Six-cylinder PM'd me it might have been retrofitted - both Monroe and Nivomat systems were possible to have but not on an '87 estate.

It's a Monroe self levelling kit for towing. you get to the valve, gauge etc under the boot floor on the left, opposite side to the cubby hole full of emergency bodge bits. Judging from some info Six-cylinder PM'd me it might have been retrofitted - both Monroe and Nivomat systems were possible to have but not on an '87 estate.

That's what mines got. I'm going to replace mine for standard though as it leaks pressure when loaded up.

It's good for towing though, worked a treat on mine when I towed my Capri shell recently.

36309995301_ddeafdeaac_b.jpg

It even fits on the drive - just.

Excellent purchase, Max!  Proud of you, you will never regret this.  Everything about the car looks "right."

However, who the fuck did you allow to park it wrong way round?  Sack them immediately!

Excellent purchase, Max!  Proud of you, you will never regret this.  Everything about the car looks "right."

However, who the fuck did you allow to park it wrong way round?  Sack them immediately!

Wrong way round?

It was Old Man anyway hahaha.

Re: the dog guard, the guy had a dog but hasn't for a number of years. There's no discernible smell inside, of anything.

I'm not that bothered about turboing it, tbh. It's all the car I need!

Fair enough, lad! Get the two buckets out. :-)

It is true what they say about fuel consumption, though. I had a 2.0 carb redblock 360 (B19) and it was shit on fuel.

Dropped a 2.3 turbo in, didn't matter if I rolled like an OAP or caned it everywhere - it was the same!