Repatriation Not Necessary - 1987 Volvo 740 GLE

Ghosty

That's very nice - about the same condition and background as my 190E when I bought it.    That also has a very similar bleb on the sunroof - I just knocked the paint off, treated it with Vactan and swore I would sort it properly very soon.   That was 7 years ago - it isn't any worse now.....

Here's the bay: 

36448222745_4082676578_b.jpg

35613254634_afa7f09d3b_b.jpg

The switchgear is super easy to work out and I've got the majority of it sussed. 

However there are two things I can't fathom. 

36311181491_4c34db014d_b.jpg

Why are there two fog light switches? I don't have front fogs.

36280075792_05c0ba1b3f_b.jpg

HRW is obvious but what are the knob and unlabelled switch for?

Engine bay looks good, do I spy a genuine Volvo oil filter? Good ownership if so and worth using them yourself as many non genuine filters don't have the non return valve inside.

Ref switches, is it possible your car did have front fogs but they've been removed for whatever reason? Your front lower panel doesn't look like it has the fog cut outs so maybe that's been replaced too for whatever reason.

The speaker switch is a bit like the ones old Fords had for adjusting sound side - side.

No idea what the unbranded one is though? Doesn't look original though.

Check to see if the front fog switch isn't a covert immobiliser.  That was a proper giffer 'thing' back in the day, a simple kill switch cutting off the coil's positive supply.  Effective, too, until crims worked out you could just run 12v to the coil with a separate wire!

I'll echo what the others say, what a lovely car for the money, gives you plenty left over for the fuel costs ;)