New silly shite. Beetle based buggy.

Lankytim

Don't really know shit about different kinds of beach buggies but you'd have thought dubbers would have a serious hard-on for this type of thing yet (as Mercrocker points out) there seems to be little interest from them. 

Well bought though, could see one in my front garden to tinker with and annoy my more snooty neighbours. 

Looking at ebay I actually think these things are a bit overpriced. In some cases they're more money than a similar beetle and you can't really use them in crappy weather (although I will)

I've always been a fan of Beetles and their derivatives but I find the whole "scene" that goes with them a massive turn off. These buggies swerving all the associated shite that goes with aircooled VWs is a bit of an added bonus I recon.

The colour is Marinogelb.

I'm not a fan of beach buggies though, the only one I have ever driven was truly dire.

Of course it was, they're an air-cooled Beetle in a fancy dress. 

Having said that, (and everyone knows I'm no VW fan) I can't remember when or even IF I last saw a Mantaray, so well done Tim.  This being Autoshite, it had to be the bloke furthest from any kind of sea that bought a beach buggy!  I'm looking forward to the (re-)build.

Re the exhaust: have you thought of using motorbike cans?

Don't really know shit about different kinds of beach buggies but you'd have thought dubbers would have a serious hard-on for this type of thing yet (as Mercrocker points out) there seems to be little interest from them. 

They'd have to do some work and get their hands mucky. That's scary to most of them.

I might have an old exhaust back from when our buggy had a VW motor in it, I'll have a rummage around, can't remember if it got sold or not.

I'm unsure why you think that.

http://www.midlandbuggyclub.co.uk/aboutus.html

I appreciate that the all conquering camper is dominant at the mo, but there's always been a lot of enthusiasm for buggies and rails and all sorts of off roading.

Only car... that'll be fun then :D

I used a Westfield as my only transport for a year and a bit. It got old driving with a towel on my legs in wet weather. That did have an optional heater in it (two speed fan - the works).

You're going to find the straight line handling interesting at speeds of around 50mph. The super light front end and short wheel base becomes a little twitchy and has to be corrected a lot. If you are used to more modern machinery like most 70's cars, this could get a little wearing after a while on anything but the shortest (20 miles or less) trips.

Great fun on a sunny day when you're just doing 30mph around town though.

I'm still bloody envious though!

I'm an hour from Barnsley, but will collect and hold them if no one closer offers.

Where do you live?

I'm in Stoke, so I'm not much further than you! I'm not desperate for them TBH but it would be handy to have these rims. 

Anyway, here's some piccies of the "landed Mantaray"

20770443_10159287616165436_7223561313038

Even Mrs Lankytim cracked a smile

20729384_10159287616060436_1908810204621

I've had it running but a sticky throttle cable and an autochoke that I just cant figure out means that it can be a bit of a faff to keep it going. According to the engine number it's a 1300. Seems sweet enough, the rusty exhaust blew itself full of holes so I'm deffo cruising for a replacement. One of the Opel Manta A rear lights has fallen out and needs to be epoxied back in.

20770089_10159287616170436_1194181335811

The dash needs to be replaced with something I can get my legs under. Plus the existing dash looks like it was originally a dressing table at one point.

20770027_10159287616205436_4029449829815

20729695_10159287616275436_4315302339711

20729744_10159287616340436_4664966906312

Also came with another pair of banded early beetle wheels to match the fronts. They all need blasting, painting and new tyres. Unless I find a cheap set online. Missed out on a set of replica early Porsche style buggy wheels last week for £50, they even had tyres, GAH!

The bolt that holds the N/S shock absorber top mount to the chassis has sheared off and needs welding, but apart from that it all looks pretty good underneath. Needs a good coat of dinitrol though.