Multinational People Movers feat Decker Dave and the Jolly Green Giants

cms206

This past weekend was the annual open weekend at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum in Fife. After a couple of false starts Dave's yellow decker and one of our green trio popped through for the day; McNairn's at Coatbridge sent their former Citybus 141 up, though sadly we didn't manage to get 141, Dave's 143, our KMB 3BL59 and the museum's own China Motor Bus Leyland Victory LV36 all in one shot, but here's 143, 3BL59 and 141.03e4962fa7f668b0312ab89c5c0c1683.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How does that work then? Im guessing post 97 license holders like myself arent eligible

It works like so:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2864/regulation/50/made

Regulation 50 in the MV(DL)R 1999 for GB

and

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisr/1996/542/regulation/39/made

Regulation 39 in the MV(DL)R(NI) 1996 for Northern Ireland

I *think* those are two bits of legislation that covers the bus-lickers concession which was introduced in 1990.

It works like so:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2864/regulation/50/made

Regulation 50 in the MV(DL)R 1999 for GB

and

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisr/1996/542/regulation/39/made

Regulation 39 in the MV(DL)R(NI) 1996 for Northern Ireland

I *think* those are two bits of legislation that covers the bus-lickers concession which were introduced in 1990.

Cheers. I always fancied an ex Ulsterbus leyland leopard or tiger. Quite apart from lack of time / funds / space I thought the license thing was an issue too.

However. Post 97 license like mine is limited to 3500kg, (no 7.5tonner allowance like a pre 97 one).

I assume this would still apply with the old bus which is going to be way over that

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

This Flickr photo has to be my favourite of the weekend however I did manage one or two myself including one of 3BL59 at a genuine KMB bus stop flag...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkparamount/36527696392/in/faves-55708022@N03/

post-5330-0-53091000-1503333328_thumb.jpg

post-5330-0-49088100-1503333339_thumb.jpg

post-5330-0-68204000-1503333360_thumb.jpg

I have amended the title of the thread...

Also if there is any interest I'll see about doing more of the day in the life shit that comes with running a bus company day to day, featuring the ongoing sagas of the Jolly Green Giants and Decker Dave's Yellow Decker, Dave the Yellow Decker.

In other news, C45 HNF is now off for MOT preparation so updates will come from that shortly.

MOT preparations ongoing for C45 HNF; test is booked for Monday at 1400 but it won't be back until at least Tuesday night as we're taking the opportunity to fit a tachograph at the same time. BIG is currently giving it moral support.

The list for MOT isn't too shabby to be honest; our buses are inspected on a 4 week cycle. cccc5dc7f46dec67298dcab2c118a094.jpg91bcf82bb89080389e1844f7c03e28a0.jpg14335be98ee30ff90b3adecea05d3f91.jpg

Other ongoing projects are the dismantling of our old '88 Plaxton Paramount B10M; the tin worm had taken hold in a big way sadly, as mechanically this one was ace.

The engine and 'box are sold, apparantly to go into a '79 Volvo B58 race tractor transporter. The wheels are tyres will go into storage as they were new not long before the bus came off the road, the seats were sold on, various odds and sods have been saved and the tachograph unit is going into one of the jolly green giants.99d5bb5bc6feac0fd332912a4c0697c8.jpga8f399282e5f70a62501b01f307851df.jpg75491894c7b37d39eb1de0f47d4703a7.jpg

How much does it cost to MOT a bus and how long does it take? I imagine it's more stringent than a car MOT with it being a public service vehicle.

From memory it's £128+vat for a PSV over 23 seats; I thought I had an example PG14 form to hand but I don't, will see if I can find an old one in work.

PSV and HGV tests are not computerised but it basically breaks down to four sections. A fail in any of those sections is an overall fail which goes against your operator's license, even if it falls under a "PRS" (Pass Rectified on Site) and in turn affects your DVSA quick reference OCRS score.

Cheers. I always fancied an ex Ulsterbus leyland leopard or tiger. Quite apart from lack of time / funds / space I thought the license thing was an issue too.

However. Post 97 license like mine is limited to 3500kg, (no 7.5tonner allowance like a pre 97 one).

I assume this would still apply with the old bus which is going to be way over that

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it would.  Most buses will be over 7.5 tonnes anyway, which would make the exemption a bit pointless even for old feckers like me.  I think the GVW restriction applies to commercials - PSVs aren't rated in the same way

We looked at bringing in triaxle Alexander or Duple bodied Dennis Trident 3s but we needed buses quicker than we could ship them in.

Interesting. If these have now done a full service life in the Far East has anybody else brought one into Britain yet? Wonder what they are like to drive compared to a Trident 2.

Interesting. If these have now done a full service life in the Far East has anybody else brought one into Britain yet? Wonder what they are like to drive compared to a Trident 2.

I reckon they're 305bhp for a start so they should be fairly jolly!

I think bought, paid, shipped and duty paid they were coming in at the £20k mark; my personal preference would be low floor Volvo Super Olympians but either way they'd need recertification and tilt tested.

The eldest ones are already off, IIRC it's an eighteen year life cycle in HK for franchised service.

Interesting one on the tilt test. I assumed recertification but thought they might get away without a tilt test as there were some already in the country. Thinking about it now, there probably isn't any with that chassis/body combination hence the tilt.

Stupid story about tilt tests. Years ago, Black Prince, an operator of some reputation bought the single deck converted Ailsa Volvo from Strathclyde PTE. This one in fact:

post-3950-0-36990400-1503480664_thumb.jpg

It came with a full test and so was duly repainted and pressed into service. All is well (apart from being bent like a banana) until M.o.T time comes up again. The arsey tester looked at the paperwork and proclaimed that he couldn't test the bus as it was still registered as a double decker. It would need a re-cert and tilt test before he would even look at it. Now faced with a bill of thousands for a bus that only cost just above scrap money, Black Prince duly broke it up for useful spares for the rest of the fleet before scrapping the remains thereby robbing the chance for it to enter preservation after it's life in Leeds. It tuns out Strathclyde never re-certified the bus after it's conversion in 1985 and as their M.o.Ts were done in house, the oversight was never caught.