Multinational People Movers feat Decker Dave and the Jolly Green Giants

cms206

What is the spec?

What is the history?

Who's are they?

What will they be used for?

If there is a spare one can I have it!

All three are Alexander-bodied 12-metre Leyland Olympians, new 1984 (MIL 5574) and 1986 (BIG 3837, C45 HNF) to Kowloon Motor Bus in Hong Kong as their 3BL59, 3BL152, 3BL159. They originally sat 121 but now seat 119 or 100 (C45 HNF).

Mechanically speaking only MIL 5574 retains it's original 10450cc turbocharged Gardner 6LXCT engine, mated to a 3-speed Voith automatic; BIG 3837 now has a Cummins L10 turbo mated to a 4-speed ZF auto, while C45 HNF now runs a 9600cc Volvo TD102 (running a DAF fuel pump) through a Voith 3-speed auto 'box.

We've just bought them for further service on schools at the ripe old ages of 33 and 31-years old. Andy and Dave were gainfully employed in fetching two of them home.

The fella at MASS still has about another fifty or so assorted deckers left... ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So are they all flat out at 43 or was one of them running out of gears and holding t'others up?  If memory serves, the similarly-sized but less-powerfully-engined Big Yellow Bus will manage a good 30mph more than that.  I once did Scotch Corner to Norwich at 37 after my Fiat Ducato's drive shaft shat itself - I can confirm it takes a looong time to get anywhere at that sort of speed.