Volvo 340 DL - fuck it, it's staying.

purplebargeken

Ken that is fit and a steal at £800.

But with self shifter 1400cc and a car that is heavier than the front row of a slimming world clinic I would imagine that it accelerates like a continent.

I don't find the ex-CMS 340 vario particularly slow, and once wound up they trundle along quite nicely. I have surprised a few moderns on the country lanes in mine and it's great fun.

I would like another vario, maybe a 66 or a 440 next .. or possibly a metro ;)

GLWTS etc and if I didn't already have one ...

Cheers guys.

I spent a bit of time with the 340 today. The passenger door speaker wasn't working, I'd bought a couple of Vibe 4" speakers from Halfords and fitted one already to the drivers door card. Nice enough sound, in keeping with the simple set up tbh. The passenger one was removed and found to be connected to nothing whatsoever lol. Two speakers happily generating sound :)

Just did a bit more cleaning and refitted the rear view mirror.

All good!

Did you have that early gold one??

I've had a few, I reckon the one you mean is the car that was auctioned at Brooklands a few years back.  If so, yes I had it.  8,000 miles on the clock and it was utterly brilliant to look at.  But OMG the noise.

28309364775_b2fa34a8eb_o.jpg1979 Volvo 343 DL by Bornite Identity, on Flickr

I might pop over at the weekend and have a look if that's ok mate.

What's the deal with the noise, isn't there diaphragms or whatnot that should keep the revs low at motorway speeds that weren't functioniong on that early gold one, or am I making that up?

What revs are we talking at 70mph (officer)?

Did you have that early gold one??

It may be my car you are thinking of:

35192214153_f011e87f09_b.jpgTUJ by Siôn  Hudson, on Flickr

36462939905_5326077d3d_b.jpgTUJ rear by Siôn  Hudson, on Flickr

36462939945_a6da05c815_b.jpgTUJ Interior by Siôn  Hudson, on Flickr

It is a 1977 model year car, manufactured in September 1976.  It's the earliest in the UK, and has the unique brown DAF interior.  As you can see, it's pretty brittle! The 1978 model year had some significant revisions, and 1979 even more so, to make it much more 'Volvo'.

It's a variomatic, which is all that was offered until the 1979 model year.

Mr 95 quid you have a flurry of pm's.

Yeah, Saturday is best mate if you want to pop over and do some old car licking.

The noise is just a vario thing. The trick with these is to floor it until you get to the desired speed then lift your foot off the gas slightly so the revs reduce but your speed is retained.

There is an alleged diaphragm issue on my Daf 66 but to be honest, it trundled along quite happily. Who knows.

Mr 95 quid you have a flurry of pm's.

Yeah, Saturday is best mate if you want to pop over and do some old car licking.

The noise is just a vario thing. The trick with these is to floor it until you get to the desired speed then lift your foot off the gas slightly so the revs reduce but your speed is retained.

There is an alleged diaphragm issue on my Daf 66 but to be honest, it trundled along quite happily. Who knows.

Do it right, and you can actually accelerate whilst the revs decrease.

These will also go as fast backwards as they will forwards. If that's not a challenge for someone to rise to I don't know what is.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Do it right, and you can actually accelerate whilst the revs decrease.

These will also go as fast backwards as they will forwards. If that's not a challenge for someone to rise to I don't know what is.

As much of a challenge as the apocryphal belief that 2CVs cannot be rolled; my brother disproved this, albeit with the aid of a gravel-strewn road and an inconveniently placed ditch/field interface. The 2CV lived on despite acquiring a bend in the chassis.

:(

Oh, just to clarify............. if any swappage does occur, orp/x for that matter.

The 340 is indeed in North London but t'other vehicle would need to grace the presence of The Barn which is just off the A414 (Ongar Rd) near Chelmsford. It's only about 30 mins from where I live.

It would make my life a lot easier re: tax, insurance and so on for the meantime.

Thanks for your understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Just general fettling to report on the Volvo. The exhaust has finally been repaired this morning and is now as solid as a rock.

It's really odd as the exhaust doesn't look old at all. Anyway, sorted now. Oh boy, what a little honey. Just sits there cuffing quite happily at idle. Sorting the exhaust has made a lot of difference, much smoother and nippier. Lovely in fact.

The underside of this car is literally perfect. No hide the shite under seal, no previous repairs. Zilch. I thought the Golf was spot on underneath but this is even better. Also fitted proper chrome wheel nuts for the alloys. 

So, still fore sail folks.

The only cloud is that along with the Beetle and the Golf, the log book has gone walkies. Fuck knows where they have gone.

A suitable discount will be applied.