In the shadow of The Shadow

Cavcraft

Im amazed at your ability to keep finding cars this grim, ive seen cleaner cars in the breakers yard, and each time I think "he wont find another manky mess" again, but you never disappoint me. You must have a network of contacts to source these things off similar to how a car dealer has a network of contacts to source clean, tidy, decent cars from. its almost inverted. 

Edit: going by the sticker on the back, the first owner obviously saw sense and chopped it in for a Rover when it wasnt that old. 

The people I got off had had it 15 years. I genuinely forgotten I'd bid on it, then got an email saying I'd won and had to open it to find out what it was.

Welcome to the Club. Decent wee steeds, as you know I got 5 years faultless service from mine. Re bogging down and EML illuminating intermittently. Likely your egr valve or MAF Billy. Fit a gen used one if you're going to go that far, cheap ones will stick open and kill the engine, ask me how I know......

Do you reckon I can thrash the EGR clean, Ian? It seems to work on the Navarra diesels at work, so pondered if it'd work on this too? When giving it full throttle in second it takes off well, then st the very top of the rev range it fluctuates a fair bit before illuminating the EML. The light goes out when you back off the throttle though.

I wouldn't think so, my EGR valve threw the EML on permanently after a motorway thrash, although that was the cheap replacement one so clogging wasn't the issue there. I think it's possible to clean them but I would suggest the best bet is a 2nd hand genuine one.

If you really need one I can take off the one on my replacement engine as the brand new Pieburg one on the scrap engine will be coming off and going on that. It is untested though.