Grand Espace 3.5 V6. Alas, sold on Gumtree.

djoptix

• 2 weeks later...

Related to Espace. My brother-in-law has recently bought a thoroughly shite VW Sharan, which has turned out to be very down on power. He's therefore using the Espace to take his family to Devon over the BH weekend, and the Shiteran is here. I thought I'd have a look at it. His garage reckon it has a turbo problem, but I'm not 100% convinced that they have ruled out the MAF sensor.

I know very little of VAG tdi engines, but apparently MAF sensor failure is common. Symptoms of this car are that it's miles down on power, will rev at part throttle but if you are proceeding and put your foot to the floor, nothing happens.

I haven't tested the sensor yet, or removed it for inspection, but I have read that some cars have a 4 wire sensor and some have 5. This car has a MAF sensor with 5 tabs on, but there are (definitely) only 4 wires in the plug. Is that normal?

I'm just amused that your BIL has left you his reliable German peoplewagen because it's not running right, and entrusted his holiday to a three and a half litre V6 Espace. Well played.

Is it boosting? Quite a common fault is the little lever that operates the variable vanes gets stuck, or even pops off the joint. Then there's the possibility the vanes themselves are stuck, which means lobbing all sorts of kitchen cleaning products through the intake is a possible fix (I'd stop short of a scouring pad though)

I had a very similar problem with plenty of low-down power on a 1.9TDI of pre-PD vintage. Turned out to be the lift sensor on one of the injectors (there's only one), wire snapped so the ECU wasn't getting feedback. That, from memory, threw a light on but only after a fair amount of driving it like that - I had to get it to within 10 miles from home to get recovered, so limped it to 9.9999 miles away. Pretty obvious though, the wire is right in front of you when you lift the bonnet.

Does sound sensory. It's all very well saying "it's a turbo problem mate" - if it's mechanical, then that's expensive but it'll be lobbing loads of smoke out and making a racket. Plenty of little things that will stop it from spooling up. Sounds like a proper fobbing off.

Try unplugging the MAF then take it up the road. If you get full power then thats the fault, they can go faulty without putting a fault code in.

Yes, I should have mentioned I've done that. No change in symptoms - which is sort of one reason I was hoping it was MAF sensor related - engine behaves the same whether it's plugged in or not, therefore it might be dead...

I'm just amused that your BIL has left you his reliable German peoplewagen because it's not running right, and entrusted his holiday to a three and a half litre V6 Espace. Well played.

When you put it like that...  :-D

Does sound sensory. It's all very well saying "it's a turbo problem mate" - if it's mechanical, then that's expensive but it'll be lobbing loads of smoke out and making a racket. Plenty of little things that will stop it from spooling up. Sounds like a proper fobbing off.

My thoughts exactly. It doesn't make any untoward noises, doesn't smoke at all, doesn't suddenly lose power, the delivery of what power there is is smooth. It's just gutless when you put your foot down. It will reach high revs when not under load, and in the first 20% of throttle travel it feels quite eager, up to a point.

I'll get the multimeter out later on and possibly clean the MAF sensor if I can find some switch cleaner.

1.9 tdi by any chance? I'd clean/blank egr, mr muscle vnt vanes on turbo and check all vacuum hoses are ok, especially any that are boost or N75 valve related.

If you're feeling more adventurous pull the intercooler and inlet manifold and clean them both as theyre most likely full of oil/gunk.

Yes, 1.9 tdi. I'll see what he wants to do with it/how adventurous he's feeling. Apparently, since it turned out to be a lemon, the guy that sold it to him has offered to give him a partial refund if he re-lists it on ebay, i.e. make up the difference to what he paid for it. Which I thought sounded extremely decent, and if he turns out to keep his word, a serious result for BIL.

Apparently the Espace is behaving itself apart from occasionally refusing to open the boot  :-D

OK, so I've tested the MAF with multimeter - it showed 2.2v at idle (no load) rising to about 3.7v at 5k RPM (again no load).

It is mucky, with oil on it. The airbox is filthy too. But to be honest, if BIL can get a refund for the car, I'm not going to do any more digging unless it becomes necessary. It seems that the MAF is at least doing something when the airflow varies, though I have no idea whether those voltages are anything like valid...?

One thing I can't work out though, perhaps someone can enlighten me...  as far as I can work out, the airflow comes in at the OS wing, and goes straight into the airbox, then through the MAF sensor; then down and under the block, through the intercooler, back under the block and up the other side, into the turbo and then the inlet manifold. 

So how TF does oil get into the inlet air and onto the MAF sensor? Or into the intercooler, come to that? (there is oil on the intercooler hoses, and J4mes, I have no doubt your statement below is correct...)

theyre most likely full of oil/gunk.

...a thoroughly shite VW Sharan... down on power.

There's loads of info out there on these, but it's worth reading about Stripped_Freds exploits. He bought one off me earlier in the year and had similar issues:

http://autoshite.com/topic/27468-stripped-freds-sharan-family-wagon-tdi-tinkering/page-3

and then...

http://autoshite.com/topic/27650-vw-sharan-tdi-the-diary-of-an-amateur-mechanic/page-1

HTH :-)

Oily residue from crank case breather combines with egr 'soot' to make a lovely sticky coating on vnt vanes, inlet manifold, etc...

The intercooler seems to fill with oil I think because its the lowest point, could be wrong though..

The 1.9tdi is a pretty basic, very reliable unit, mine is knocking on 200k miles, on the original turbo too. Well worth some effort..

Thanks KruJoe, that was a really interesting read. It seems that essentially, this engine is great except that it clogs up all over the inlet side. Since I anticipate this one hasn't been particularly well looked after, there are any number of things it could be, and any or all of them would probably make it a bit better...

The Sharan has gone and the Espace is back, thankfully. I had happy messages from the BIL to the effect that "it goes like a bloody train!!!" Indeed it does!

It's done about 1000 miles so far and seems to be behaving itself, averaging 23-24mpg with a mix of driving, so I'm going to start looking at the various (though surprisingly few) niggly bits that aren't working. At some point it needs to go and have the parking brake sorted but since it's MOTd until next year and is perfectly happy to be left in Park, I'm not feeling very pressured to fork out for that to be fixed just yet.

Tyre pressure sensors and GPS are first on the list. The TPS aren't really something I'm desperate for, it's just a bit annoying that the car reminds me they aren't working every time I turn it on. From some forums I understand that it's under the passenger seat on the outside of the car. I had a look and managed to take a couple of photos of (what I think is) it.

This one was intended to help me work out how to get it off the car, but it started raining so I stopped trying.

post-7585-0-32718500-1504119605_thumb.jpg

This one shows the connector going into it. It's filthy and corroded and I'm pretty sure that some of a wire broke away in my hand while it was fiddling with it, so I reckon if I can get some access to this and do a bit of rewiring, we might be in business, to some degree at least.

post-7585-0-16828300-1504119781_thumb.jpg

Incidentally my super diagnostic tool confirms that something is fundamentally up with the receiver, it's not just a case of the sensors being knackered (well it may be, but we don't know which yet).

post-7585-0-66784500-1504119871_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile I can see that the faulty parking sensor is on the right... hopefully that means the outside right one; I'll start working in from there.

post-7585-0-20186300-1504120005_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-12983600-1504120018_thumb.jpg

Renault were just absolutely hilarious* with their early-2000s cars.

Let's put the electronic handbrake motor, TPMS receiver, and other vulnerable electronics on the underside of the car with no real guards or covers in place! WCPGW?! :D

Mega respect for cracking on with this!

Difficult to tell at the moment because there's a distracting clonk at the front, suspect drop links or something like that. Once that's sorted I can let you know! It's certainly quite wafty and the steering wheel feels quite remote from the front end. It's smooth but not too barge-like.

Thankfully the previous owner did the spark plugs early this year so I won't have to face that for a while :)

I had a precious 45 minutes in between kids napping etc today, so was going to have a look at the TPMS on the Espace, but the Megane was closer to the drive. I bought this a few months ago and it goes like greased weasel shit. However, I haven't done any maintenance on it apart from putting some oil in it about 20 miles after I'd bought it, when the service light came on and I thought "sod it, I've bought a lemon". However, I put a litre or so of oil in it and it hasn't demanded anything since then. What's more, literally everything on it seems to work, even the silly little electric opening rear quarter windows. Not bad for a 15 year old French car.

Anyway I got as far as doing the plugs and air filter, and they were filthy. NSFW dirty filth follows.

post-7585-0-44461600-1504381912_thumb.jpg

Having taken pictures of filthy old bits, I've now found that I don't have any pictures of the actual car, but it looks like this, except very very much less yellow.

post-7585-0-80289200-1504382124_thumb.jpg

It's a 2.0 with the F4R engine - same as Clio 172/182 etc although detuned so it only produces 140bhp in this car. It's very hard to find an unmolested 2.0 Megane Coupe nowadays - most of them look like this (AAAWWWW SAAAAFE BRUUVVVV etc):

post-7585-0-22186000-1504382452_thumb.jpg

To me, these are still in decent Renault territory before everything went to shit with electronics controlling the indicator stalks and glovebox latches or whatever. A dickhead I lived with had a black one, I think he passed his test and got a ZX Volcane, and then one of those a year after and it was only 4 or 5 years old. Stupidly quick, pretty reliable too until it sat for a few weeks after he bought a Clio 172. That seemed to generate a few faults typical of not being used - battery packed up, the rear electric windows kept popping the fuse, grumbly bearings.

The electric switches should work the poppers. I don't think they're intended to be opened by hand if they're electric though so maybe it was an optional extra, and someone's either fitted low spec windows or a high spec centre console to a car that didn't have it/them