1996 mk1 mx-5

paulplom

NOW SOLD

As above in red. Mot fail though. It has been off the road a year and a half.

It's my partners car and her dad, for her bitthday, decided to mot it for her. It failed quite badly and we've decided to offer it here. It's probably worth a good few hundred as spares. If you're handy with a welder you could repair it. I have new discs and pads for it. Her dad fitted 2 new front wings. It also has a new battery. It was used daily until it was laid up surplus to requirement. (We have another 2 cars and a van between us). Anyway she's asking £400. Feel free to rip the piss. No offence will be taken. We live at North Shields but the car is at her dads in Whitley Bay. I can get some pics if anyone is interested.7b7f41255edff697215d16815e1543e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Still kick myself for selling mine, but it'd rotten quite badly. It's unbelievable how much fun these cars are to drive, I honestly don't think they can be beaten for value for money in the fun stakes.

It looks a hell of a lot nicer than mine!

Sills can be done for a couple of hundred quid a side I think. Everything else should be simple to sort, mechanically these are tough as old boots. <insert standard AS refrain> Would definitely have this myself if I wasn't several hundred miles away with no storage space. GLWTS.

From the MoT sheet info, it shouldn't be too hard or pricey to sort out. The worse part is the welding, if it's just the usual aft ends of the sills (where most Mk1's go, my first 5/Eunos did the same) then it's a day a side for an amatuer or about £200 or so a side for a pro to sort.

The rest is straightforward. The emissions (high lambda reading) is almost certainly an exhaust leak rather than anything more major. (Again, my Eunos did this). The brakes are worth a go cleaning them up and adjusting the rears for the handbrake action. If they don't respond or have seized then exchange ones from someone like MX5Parts will be about £60 each (exch) and are easy to fit. The tyre and brake discs are again, simple. 

From the looks of the photos, this car is a pretty tidy & straight car -  very saveable, especially as the prices of Mk1's have been on the up for some time now. For a value for money fun car, they are hard to beat, I'm certainly not selling mine! 

• 3 weeks later...