New Shite Incoming - Horriblish MG Maestro Purchased

cort16

It's shite alright. It's rough in some way or another on every point of the exterior! Rust, wob, sealant, dry pain it's all there.

Importantly it's got a long mot and runs well so I'm NOT going to hit it with grinder until I've had a bit of use out of it.

Good work, these were like Skodas or Samsung phones, every fucker that had one banged on about how underrated and amazing it was and they didn't want a Gti, XR3i or GTE anyway, even to the girl in the Macdonalds Drive Thru.

I inflicted one on Mrs N for a while , I did a deal for her Rover 3500 VdP that saw me end up with a free , identical one to this, except I hated the wheels so much I put 14" steels off a Montego on it . It was actually alright, pretty nippy and used about half as much petrol as the SD1, so of course I swapped it for a 2.3 Sierra auto which was slower and thirstier.

I think the guy I got it off, got it off him. He said the owner had passed away in his 80's and he end up with it as he's the chairman of the MG club.

Do you know the car?

Not the car no. I do know the said chairman of the MG club though. It was on the Faceache page just 8)

Great car and amazing survivor! Back in the '80s when I was a young project engineer our company never had enough 'pool' cars and we were always being issued with hire cars from Godfrey Davis. Being just lowly engineers we were only ever given poverty hire cars such as 1l Metros, base level Maestos, Rover 213s. etc. However one morning I was surprised to have a brand new 2.0 Efi MG Maestro in all-white colour-coded everything, dropped off for my day's duties.

Wow! How that thing flew and handled! About the only car I remember from the chod of the day... Nostalgia kicking in now....

Squirrel2

That one was on the eBay tat thread recently I think. The last time I drove an MG Maestro was in the early 1990s - it was a B plate and it pulled that hard, it felt like the front end was going to fall off.

I've had lots of respect for them ever since. I can fully understand why you're looking forward to getting out and ragging it!

That one was on the eBay tat thread recently I think. The last time I drove an MG Maestro was in the early 1990s - it was a B plate and it pulled that hard, it felt like the front end was going to fall off.

I've had lots of respect for them ever since. I can fully understand why you're looking forward to getting out and ragging it!

Yeah, the same thing defined an MG Montego I had - 2.0i, and torque steer (and torque-to-weight) that felt pretty impressive. Not bad handling either. Ate engine mounts though.

That one was on the eBay tat thread recently I think.

It was. A couple of times I think.  I posted it quite early on moaning about how it had shot up to nearly a grand within the first couple of days and how I was priced out of even really shite 80's stuff. Luckily for me (I think) it reached it's max bid early on so managed to stay just within my budget. 

My friends dad had two of these back in the day. He used to quote the performance figures a lot, pointing out that they were quicker than an XR3i and Astra GTE. It was a hot hatch for the family man (or woman) I suppose.

Looks nice, very smart in that colour. Nice one.

Wow thats ace. Theres been a lot of wrecks/projects for a few hundred and also immaculate ones for sale around the 7k mark so its good to see theres still some cheap running ones about too. They must be getting thin on the ground now though? Best mg meastro colour by miles. Thoroughly approve.

My friends dad had two of these back in the day. He used to quote the performance figures a lot, pointing out that they were quicker than an XR3i and Astra GTE. It was a hot hatch for the family man (or woman) I suppose.

As a family car the Maestro has the advantage because it has 5 doors.

Great purchase!

Very, very under rated cars.

When I was in college, a bloke I was on the same course with had a brand new A or Y reg 1600 version with twin Webbers and the talking dash. The steering column let go one day and he ended up in a banking. The talking dash informed him that "a service is needed" in its female voice.

Hecwas not amused!

they were quicker than an XR3i and Astra GTE. It was a hot hatch for the family man (or woman) I suppose.

It was practically the secret hot hatch!  Everyone went nuts for the Ford, Vauxhall and VW competitors, but the MG was criminally overlooked, even after the addition of the Turbo.

I still miss mine.