Tell Me About: Volvo 740

Ghosty

They are fantastic motors! (or at least I think so!)

I've had the pleasure of driving my mate's 740 Estate. It's a later face-lift one, with 450,000 kilometers on the clock, it has aged well, it's very comfortable and it drives tight as a drum, despite not being maintained to quite the optimal standard! It has no rust issues whatsoever (but this is Australia) and still looks fresh, inside and out. They are very practical for lugging heaps of stuff and people around, even at the same time!

They are definitely on my want list, although I would probably go for a 940 personally.

The 940 is just as good a car, probably better in honesty as it's the ultimate development of the original 740 design so most of the issues were ironed out by the late 940. They still look more or less the same too.

As they're much newer you'll find it much easier to find a good 940 now, the original 740's are all now approaching 30 years old, some are even older.

But the flat front 740 looks nicer imho and has a much more classic appearance.

Not that long ago they were everywhere for cheap but over recent years numbers have been thinning out quickly. I noticed it after I'd sold the gold saloon then wanted another one! It was noticeably harder to find a nice early car. Old age has claimed some along with the poor mpg and 'old banger' status. The banger racers like them too which doesn't help!

The guy I got my old (now Junkmans) Granada from had a G reg 740 (flat front) GLE auto estate in for racing. It was a lovely metallic red/maroon with caramac leather, really good condition car too but nobody wanted it so he raced it! Waste of a good car that was.

Don't discount the later facelifted 740's though. They still look good and it's the same car otherwise. If it wasn't for me wanting to fit the US lights (only fits the flat front cars) I'd gladly of had one.

By the way, just in case it crossed your mind...

You can't buy a facelift 740 and simply fit flat front headlights to get the early car looks! The whole front of the car is different so you'd need a complete bumper, air dam/front spoiler thing, headlights, grill, front wings... lots of work!

Worth noting as well that the later, similarly styled, 840 is quite a bit small inside than the 740.  They also feel less solid and generally less Volvo-y overall.  For me, the 840 marks the point that big Volvos began to decline in quality, leading to the nonsense of things like the V70 and the S40 which just feels like a Ford with chunky styling.

The 850 was actually the replacement for the aging 240 series. The 700 followed by the 900 were the flagship models in the range, they were replaced by the S80.

I think the UK was about the only place still with a very good market for the 240 cars at the end. They were still selling well here right to the end (L reg) whereas most of the rest of the world they weren't selling so well.

I had an 850, 2.5GLE auto and it was insanely fast! Well, for a big estate anyway! I've never driven the T5 version but I can only imagine how quick they were. Very nice cars still but I didn't get on so well with them so stuck to the older generation rear drive cars. I don't know why but there is something different about the front drive gen cars, they don't feel quite the same to me.

If it's not RWD, it's not really a Volvo.  I did mean 850, not 840... I get confused by Volvo nomenclature post-740.

p.s. I'd like a 240 again some day, they're really nice.

Me too. The old 244 big bumper I had was a right scruffy looking thing but it was a great car. Lovely to drive and just felt like a tank. I prefer the 740 but I'd say the 240 is the stronger car of the two, they just feel really well made and solid.

I once hit a metal gate post with mine! Didn't see it at all. Got out to see wtf it was and there was no damage to the car at all. The gate post was bent in half and pushed over!

Mind you, I got rear ended in the 740 saloon by a Pug 607. Only damage to the 740 was a scuff to the bumper and a crack on the light cluster. The Pug was a right mess, the passenger door even jammed shut on it which is pretty bad.

Btw, if your so interested in these as I am, the engine variants are:

Either B200 or B230

B = Bensin (gasoline/petrol)

200 = 2.0

230 = 2.3

Then there's a letter or two

A = single carburettor (Pierburg)

B = twin carburettors (I've never seen one of these!)

E = mechanical injection (Bosch Kjetronic)

ET = as above with turbo.

F = low compression, fuel injection (usually Bosch LH jetronic)

FT = as above with turbo.

K = single carburettor (Solex).

There are others too.

Chassis numbers all start with:

744 = 700 body, 4 cylinder engine, 4 door saloon shell.

745 = 700 body, 4 cylinder engine, 5 door estate shell.

There's also a sticker inside the passenger side rear door shut area that tells you what brake systems etc etc are fitted from new.

Mine was a turbo and rather fucked but I never saw 20mpg and I found the cabin very cramped (but I am 6 foot 6). It did have some appealing characteristics but it felt like a let down after a Saab 900. That said had I fitted it and had it been a better example perhaps I would have warmed to it more.

A Volvo will be noticeably slower!

How about a 7/940 with a Lexus V8? It'd fit... I've seen one with a Chevy V8 before!

A 740 wagon with an LS1 in it would be amazing. Live axle, V8, sleeper. Yum.

Paul Newman famously had a few big engined Volvos , his first was a Buick V6 Grand National in a 740

post-17414-0-28013500-1501514307_thumb.jpeg

The last were 3 brand new 960s in 1997 fitted with crate Ford 5.0 V8 engines and topped with supercahrgers. One was for himself , one for David Letterman and the third for a wealthy friend. Apparently his experiences with live axled powerful Volvos meant he particularly wanted an Independant rear ended 960.

post-17414-0-02524000-1501514523_thumb.jpeg

post-17414-0-63725200-1501514538_thumb.jpeg

If you can find a good one, the Volvo 740 is an excellent long-term ownership prospect; I've had The Volvo for 14 years this December :)

Volvos can have a loyal following and are great long-term in my opinion too. Our family's 'love' started in the early '70s. with a 121 'Amazon'.

Drifting the thread slightly; I guess that Guy Martin's 'fastest Volvo' has been discussed on here before..?

Squirrel2

post-21508-0-45191600-1501516569_thumb.jpg

The 850 and S/V70 facelifts feel like Volvos and drive a lot better than the RWD ones, they're roomier too especially in the front.

I don't agree. I could fit more into my 740 than my 850. Not by much granted. But rear drive beats front hands down every time. A big car like these should be rear driven.

Much of it is personal preference of course, I'm much more of a traditionalist! Front engine driving rear wheels only!

I think once they stopped the old rear drive set up Volvo lost their image and charm. They became just like any other car company.

Pretty sure in a 740 you won't notice the difference between RWD and FWD unless you're in snowy stuff. However the 740 looks awesome so I can absolutely see the appeal.

I test drove a 2.5 20v 850 saloon a long while ago. Basically the same power output as the more modern 2.4 20v 170 map in the V70.

It bloody shifted and made a noise and a half.

Pretty sure in a 740 you won't notice the difference between RWD and FWD unless you're in snowy stuff. However the 740 looks awesome so I can absolutely see the appeal.

I test drove a 2.5 20v 850 saloon a long while ago. Basically the same power output as the more modern 2.4 20v 170 map in the V70.

It bloody shifted and made a noise and a half.

You can when you go around corners!

Guest Hooli

Pretty sure in a 740 you won't notice the difference between RWD and FWD unless you're in snowy stuff.

I used to drive a lot of ovlovs working in a dealer. You can tell the difference as soon as the roads are damp, right foot steering is for winnahs.

I stand dutifully corrected.

My comment stemmed from how the Omega 3.0 V6 I had would generally understeer like a barge, and the only time I got power-on oversteer was on a very wet Welsh track, and that was because the car kicked down to 1st gear at 30mph (I was keeping it in 2nd but the car thought 1st was commensurate to my driving).

However, on reading that sentence back I spotted the word 'Vauxhall' and realised my mistake. It was a full fat Elite with every option ticked, probably coming in at 1700kg or so too, and not an MV6 in fairness.

They're boxy but safe.

I nearly bought several 740's but bought 940's instead.

2 litre saloon in white. 2.0 turbo estate in white. Both autos.

The estate was the better of the two, it was also free.

The saloon smelled ofold person and digestive biscuits. I could never eradicate the smell. It became quite comforting in the end. 

Paul Newman famously had a few big engined Volvos , his first was a Buick V6 Grand National in a 740

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The last were 3 brand new 960s in 1997 fitted with crate Ford 5.0 V8 engines and topped with supercahrgers. One was for himself , one for David Letterman and the third for a wealthy friend. Apparently his experiences with live axled powerful Volvos meant he particularly wanted an Independant rear ended 960.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Holy crap, I want one.

Hey, when did Ford own Volvo again? Could that actually have happened in the right circumstances - a Ford/PAG developed Mustang V8 in a V90?

Pretty sure in a 740 you won't notice the difference between RWD and FWD unless you're in snowy stuff. 

Oh, no, they are very, very different. Very different steering, very different follow-through and positioning on bends.

An 850 2.5 will be quicker and has more ultimate ability.

A 740 is fun. It's like a big Capri. You can feel a bit of lateral movement in the back, you can make little adjustments to momentum and feeling of inertia that the 850 dampens. The sightlines are good on both, but the 740s front wheels are easier to feel and envisage.

850s suit hamfisted brute-force driving rather better. Put some finesse into it and a 740 will be surprising. Apparently the rather battered one I'm driving is hard for even a modern Seat to keep up with ;)

I don't agree. I could fit more into my 740 than my 850. Not by much granted. But rear drive beats front hands down every time. A big car like these should be rear driven.

Much of it is personal preference of course, I'm much more of a traditionalist! Front engine driving rear wheels only!

I think once they stopped the old rear drive set up Volvo lost their image and charm. They became just like any other car company.

If you're big and tall, the 740/940 feels cramped. The 740/940 may have a little more boot space.

Not denying the appeal of RWD but they're not exactly OMG drift weapons.

I might be making this up , but I'm sure each new generation of Volvo estates got smaller- at least in the load bay.

I know my 2011 V70 is smaller than anything that came before it fwd or rwd, also smaller than the Mondeo it shares a platform with.

More surprisingly, the massive looking new V90 is even smaller. I suppose since the XC90 came out ,anyone wanting maximum space would have one of those.

When I got my wife an 850 saloon in about 96, she liked it because it didn't feel like a Volvo, I'd go so far as to say anything post 850 feels like it was made by a different company to the rear wheel drive cars- not saying that's good or bad.