1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter - 6yrs ownership & the end is potentially nigh!

SiC

T.C 'Cuth' Harrison was the Ford dealer in Roth and Sheff back then on London Road. He was a very good rally driver and campaigned Mark 1 Zephyrs and stuff in the Monte. Brook Shaw were on Norfolk Street.

TCH in Rotherham were on Sheffield Road, building still there on right heading into town after the bypass.

Brook Shaws Norfolk St premises was a double deck affair, very much like the model garages you see. I remember the Mk I Cortina being parked on the internal ramp. They moved to Shalesmoor when they redeveloped that part of town.

Very kinds and that's very close to my work but I don't fancy putting it through it's paces on the m8 because [insert excuse here]

Come along in the modern then, it'd be good to see you and we can talk crap about old cars.

Edit, sorry for the hijack SiC, you're invited too!

As per News 24 thread I've been on holiday over this last weekend on the Isle of Wight. I've held off posting this as I don't like to post that my house is empty on a public forum...

Anyway the weather was great and I had a good time. However one thing really bugged me during the trip. I was driving around in the wrong car. Our A4 I was driving is very practical and relatively economical (well 43mpg for a diesel isn't really) but it felt so wrong. The TT would have been much better but still would have felt like something was missing.

This sort of trip and short holiday is exactly what I bought the MGB for. Buzzing around on a nice warm spring/summer days, seeing new sights and sounds in an old classic car. No rush and no haste needed.

I came to the conclusion that even if I sell this car, I'm likely to regret it as I haven't really experienced it properly. All I'll do then is buy another. Which would be silly when this one should* almost be usable after this current hump.

So for now I'm going to preserve with this time of pain and hope it gets better. Still on a very short leash mind. If it decides to blow its drivetrain up, it won't be staying much longer.

As a separate point, I spent quite a lot of evenings trying to find a place in the UK where land is cheap and I can have a big barn/storage. I'd love to hoover up a small, private collection of 60s/70s cars to play around in. Unfortunately it seems that anywhere that isn't a million miles away from where I am now, thats a tough call. So next is figuring out a way that I can achieve this.

No matter how much space you have, unless its a field you will fill it.

You will then have less time to spend on each, and even less progress will result than at present.

Spot on. Don't ask me how I know.

I have (just about) space for one car in the garage and five on the drive.

I have six cars currently.

See. It's true.

Mally is correct, trust me. I've 7 vehicles at the moment and even being retired I don't have enough time to keep on top of them as I want. Currently the motorhome is top of the list for some attention after last week's trip. Then Mrs BMH's C3 appears to be leaking from the radiator. I actually washed the green film off the Seat yesterday, and cleaned it as the MoT is due in September (!). Need to sell the camper (37 km last year), the roadster is still under its winter cover, the green MG has been awaiting welding for about 5 years and as for the orange one...

Then I've a couple of Excelsior motorbikes in bits.

Entering the lottery, and winning, is the only way to achieve the dream.

Pipes arrived already. The bender is being shipped by Hermes, so I guess it could come anytime this month...

847fbad10e1755fd1eb4901ddfcfffc7.jpg

The nuts on this seem a lot chunkier than the one I fitted. This olive type fitting on the end is very similar to what is already on the existing one. My suspicion is the one on the car at the moment doesn't have a flat neck section on this bit and so the nut isn't sitting square. Just hoping that the thread on the tank isn't buggered either.

8e6b74eb5bc818e46e889524c910dc9d.jpg

My bender has now arrived. I'm hoping that I'll find time and have decent weather to get on with this on Saturday.

fec5529787390467f8e4ec0a2c448d24.jpg

Not sure I really can be bothered with this job mind. Got to get some of the fuel out, avoid getting stinky fuel all over me and pray that the thread on the tank fitting hasn't been buggered up.

My bender has now arrived. I'm hoping that I'll find time and have decent weather to get on with this on Saturday.

fec5529787390467f8e4ec0a2c448d24.jpg

Not sure I really can be bothered with this job mind. Got to get some of the fuel out, avoid getting stinky fuel all over me and pray that the thread on the tank fitting hasn't been buggered up.

check out my brake pipe flare and shape episode of 72RRR, features this very tool

Soooo another job on this thing. One I really CBA to do but once I got going it was alright.

First order of business was draining the tank a bit.

82c30dc9a47ef16180550cce0bc89f40.jpg

I then stuck the old original tube, bent and hammered flat to stop the fuel dribbling out.

0221615675a1e7bfe3b26efd550a3611.jpg

Took the current pipe off completely. Tried it on the old tank fitting. Makes it a bit clearer in these pictures what was going wrong. Basically the nut wasn't sitting square on. Notice the gap between the pipe and nut at the back is different between these two pictures.

a3255f6f215d5836be5088a2eae75731.jpg

bcf01a4317c0fd9f307564dd5d4e101a.jpg

Taking it back off and pushing the nut back (hard because of a blob of solder on the olive bit) made it clear what the issue was. The swarf was copper from the back of the olive fixing. Naturally stopping the nut seating flat onto the back of it.

c81a38f300076a6a2f396f620e2d3cdf.jpg

I'm not sure if it was dodgy when I bought it or I overtightened it. I'll say it was dodgy when I bought it to make me feel better (probably wasn't...).

Bent the new pipe into place using the bending tool above and hands. This time I avoided any kinks. Absolutely ballache trying to bend and fit it to shape. I tried to avoid any points in the run where it could potentially rub against the car body. I'm much happier with how it fits under there now.

448e5a6ccf9fb8fd37ae5d248c9f77f6.jpg

0becd0aa3d849d1e8015f1fe7677740c.jpg

8c03e290e107a4850511dcbd69e23186.jpg

Wrapped the tank end threads in PTFE (Plumbers Tape Fixes Everything, right??) to try avoid any chance of leaking again. A hard thing to do when fuel keeps dribbling onto the tape.

8dc4ee85b3bb9775fe639fa9f19d16ce.jpg

I've run the engine up and kept an eye on the fuel filter. Seems happy as Larry now and no leaks! Yay! :)

Now to give it another clean after the local pterodactyls have left their mark again. On our drive, the neighbours TV antenna overhangs our drive. An unfortunate ideal sitting area for birds. Directly under that c pillar. :(

2064e463e7366d9a56c618167e6fb716.jpg

Bugger. I think I had the hosepipe pressure too high. This wing is really the main bit of bodywork that is letting the side down.

257fdd10f768092e43fa7b24c4082bad.jpg

Also, this now works. :)

351244bd150c24ff99bc94aa09010302.jpg

Not quite full as when I filled it up, I stopped on the first click. I think it needs a bit slower flowrate when near the top to fill completely.

It needs (it's last) MOT first! Or wait 3 weeks.

I'm hoping to get it booked in this week at the garage around the corner (that sold the MGB I was really interested in). Had a chat with them too about not fully trusting it and asked what could I do. They had a bit of a bemused look, but said make a list of things you want checking and they'll have a look around those bits.