Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter

Project

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#1051 OFFLINE   Dick Longbridge

Dick Longbridge

• Full Members
  • 3,429 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationFrench gateaux

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

Just caught up with the last couple of pages.
As a couple of others have suggested, it may be easier to drive it straight to the garage you’re MOTing it at, and get them to do what’s needed.
Then, in theory, it’ll be running ok, it’ll have been properly checked over by someone in the know, and you won’t have the stress of constantly questioning whether you’ve done enough to make it reliable/whether it’ll still leak fuel/whether something is about to drop off.
Whatever you do, don’t sell the damn thing...yet. Regain confidence in driving it (or at least start that process), and get to know what a GT is really like as a weekend plaything. Either you’ll start to enjoy it’s quirks and charm, or you’ll detest the thing and wish you’d never bought it in the first place.
Whatever the case, if you give up now and flog it on, you can guarantee that the new owner will spend a day and £100 on it, then it’ll behave perfectly for the foreseeable.
A bit like Mo Farah right now, you’re too close to the finish line to give up.
  • The Reverend Bluejeans, richardthestag, SiC and 1 other like this

#1052 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 20,028 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

Some times they just hate you. I spent a fortune and loads of time on my Panda and it was just one fault after another. I sold it to sri05 on here cheap for a crushing loss and he's not had any problems.

You can read that 2 ways. 1: I fixed everything there was to break. 2: It hated me and if I continued to own it it'd keep spending my money until I faces financial ruin.

• vulgalour and Scruffy Bodger like this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#1053 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

He's a right bastard.

• Full Members
  • 7,498 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • LocationExeter. Movement of Jah people.

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:57 PM

I think you're correct there. For me, breaking down was something the box of spanners in the boot was for.

I remember my dad trying to trade in his Anglia (257DVN) to the Ford dealer in Rotherham in about 1963 (T C Harrison ?) and it wouldn't start. He got a hammer out of the boot, layed under the side of the car in his suit and beat the shit out of the starter motor. It started and he traded it in with Brook Shaw in Sheffield. A red Mk I Cortina, GWE792C replaced it.

T.C 'Cuth' Harrison was the Ford dealer in Roth and Sheff back then on London Road. He was a very good rally driver and campaigned Mark 1 Zephyrs and stuff in the Monte. Brook Shaw were on Norfolk Street. 

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F  730i. Prestigious.

1998 R 318i Touring. Daily shitter.

1994 M 318Ti - Track whore

1998 S 323iA Touring. More shit.

​We apologise for the continued delay. Your call is still held in a queue. Please have your reference number ready for the advisor. Your call will be answered as soon as possible.

#1054 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • 68 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:58 PM

I wonder if your age is impacting your ability to put up with this old crock - if you were driving shite like this “for real” ie it was all that was available to you as a daily driver when you passed your test I wonder if you would see it differently?

I couldn’t cope with it I don’t think.

Funnily enough I wondered the same about yourself when you had the LDV "incident". A few years previously it wouldn't have bothered you and you'd got it fixed. But in the LDV case I couldn't figure if it was because you were older or just richer. I.e. you earn enough now to buy your way out of a problem and really can't be bothered with the hassle of old dodgy stuff.

For me, the changing point was the first Scenic II I bought as a stop gap (my avatar picture). Before then I almost never had a FTP. But that Scenic II was bought at a time when I couldn't really afford to replace or spend a lot repairing it. Also two of the three times it FTP my other half was in it or driving it. One we cut out in the middle of a junction, the other she was driving it (after just regaining confidence in it) and the fuel rail connector popped off, pissing fuel everywhere.

After that, she's became very loathed to be in or drive older stuff. Also stresses me out when stuff FTP as she then moans about it. As it stands, I need to prove in a big way that the MGB is reliable before she'll travel in it. Before I can do that, I need to convince myself. Not helped when I'm about to walk out of the door and I receive the remark "I'm not coming out to pick/tow you home!".

If I had it 10 years ago (i.e. when I was 22), I probably would have much more prepared to put up with it. But then I'd have less skills, tools and finances to have a chance of fixing it everytime.
  • mat_the_cat and Kiltox like this
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#1055 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 6,407 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:14 PM

You’re not wrong - I earn a fair bit more now than I did when I was constantly fucking around with old shit but have considerably less spare time / facilities than I had then :(
  • twosmoke300 likes this
2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1
2002 02 Porsche Boxster S

#1056 OFFLINE   The Moog

The Moog

rusty old bucket

• Full Members
  • 8,186 posts
  • 81 thanks
  • LocationAccrington .. who the heck are they ...

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

One we cut out in the middle of a junction, the other she was driving it (after just regaining confidence in it) and the fuel rail connector popped off, pissing fuel everywhere.

After that, she's became very loathed to be in or drive older stuff. Also stresses me out when stuff FTP as she then moans about it. As it stands, I need to prove in a big way that the MGB is reliable before she'll travel in it. Before I can do that, I need to convince myself. Not helped when I'm about to walk out of the door and I receive the remark "I'm not coming out to pick/tow you home!".

I hear you with this - Missus Moog is tolerant of old chod as long as it isn't her breaking down.  This then adds to the stress - especially if it is the comments about "not that car again" " you said you were going to be 5 minutes" "how much does it need spent on it now" 

If she breaks down I never hear the end of it - hence she has a getz that just goes on and on. 

• SiC likes this
1997 - 406 2.1 TD estate
1991 - Eunos Track beast
2003 - Getz

#1057 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 20,028 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

My wife won’t go I any of my old crud . She used to until an old s class I had conked outside the house as we where about to go for lunch or something . Instead she had to back inside and I spent the afternoon trying to stop it being a traffic hazard while trying to jump start it from her 900cc Fiat seicento.

My big problem is time. Never mind fix them I never get to drive them . My cortina couldn’t handle the motorway commute to my work, kid isn’t in bed until 8pm and the weekends are full of family stuff . The cortina barely moves.
  • The Moog likes this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#1058 OFFLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 9,345 posts
  • 29 thanks

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:12 PM

Get that Cortina out on Wed night - come to Scotoshite! Happy to meet you en route for morale and backup
  • cort16 likes this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#1059 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 20,028 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

I really don’t think it’d make it, it’s not been more than 10 miles in the last 3years .

#1060 OFFLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 9,345 posts
  • 29 thanks

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:59 PM

I really don’t think it’d make it, it’s not been more than 10 miles in the last 3years .

You sound like SiC! ;)

I can meet you at Asda Govan? Then we can schlepz along

#1061 OFFLINE   xtriple

xtriple

Brooklands banking...

• Full Members
  • 3,338 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationTorquay Devon

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:31 PM

MG Bs are fooking horrible bloody things! I HATED mine with a passion that burned with incandescent rage. Mine was totally rebuilt with a Heritage shell, new engine, everything and it was still a constant battle to try and keep the sod going. I bailed on mine and sold it for a mild profit to some other rose eyed dreamer (like me) and was glad to see the back of the thing.

On the other hand: a mate of mine had a really tatty B GT that he'd had for years, spent on it when needed and then just drove it. It felt loose and a bit tired but was FUN in a way mine never was and he loved it. I would have loved it! I think they are just quirky cars that like to be left the fook alone and just driven and allowed to mature gently any attempt to keep them 'tip- top' is doomed to failure.

I had a Honda CB - X that I restored, it faught me every inch of the way and cost me £8K in parts and services and was worth (at the time) about £6K. I hated it for being a constant bloody battle and when the owner of GT motorcycles in Plymouth saw it and offered me a silly deal (straight swop for a new Triumph Sprint ST 1050! About £9K s worth) I took his arm off at the shoulder!

Sometimes, old cars/bikes have had years of neglect or abuse and they resent it so they punish the first silly sod that tries to get them back to a good order... mechanical things are vindictive like that. Other times, something that you think is beyond saving is so keen to live again that it almost repairs itself and you are rewarded with a cracking motor for minimal hassle. Luck of the draw...

Look at the dollop: it's been an absolute pig since the day I got it and if I hadn't had so much invested in it, I would have set fire to the sod and claimed the insurance money, but now (touch wood, whistle, stroke the dog, blink three times....) it is running well and all is going swimmingly. I still do not trust it totally but I am begining to, I would almost try a trip to Exeter and expect to get there :)

• cort16, richardthestag, danthecapriman and 8 others like this

#1062 OFFLINE   Bobthebeard

Bobthebeard

Bobthebeard

• Full Members
  • 4,629 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationDoing a U turn where possible.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

Hmmmm.
My take on this:
I try to have a reasonably reliable car as the daily and treat the others as just hobby cars. Some weeks I will spend hours fettling one of them, other times I do very little depending on the oh so important mojo and /or weather.
Eventually everything gets sorted and one day you drive (whatever it is) and it dawns upon you that it is now a decent and reliable* car. Trying to fix everything, in a hurry just doesn't work IMHO.
Just frustrates you and you end up hating the car. Walk away for a day/week/year and then, one day you will wake up wanting to actually work on the car. Those days are sweet and you will make more progress in an hour than you did in weeks of begrudging fecking about because MOT needed.
I have a static caravan that we use when possible for holidays. I take a car with me that needs things fixing and do those things at leisure whilst on holiday. Not preaching, but it's all in the mindset really.
If you love MGB's and have always wanted one then treat it as a hobby rather than an irritation maybe?
  • cort16, danthecapriman, mat_the_cat and 2 others like this
Nervously prodding at rust since 1978

1979 Triumph Dolomite 1850 HL Auto
1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 3.1 V6
1993 Rover 416 SI
2001 Rover 75 2.5 KV6 Connoisseur
2001 Saab 9-3 2.0t Auto Convertible
2002 Saab 9-5 2.3t Auto Estate

#1063 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 20,028 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:19 PM

You sound like SiC! ;)

I can meet you at Asda Govan? Then we can schlepz along

Very kinds and that's very close to my work but I don't fancy putting it through it's paces on the m8 because [insert excuse here]

#1064 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

He's a right bastard.

• Full Members
  • 7,498 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • LocationExeter. Movement of Jah people.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:30 PM

Just frustrates you and you end up hating the car. Walk away for a day/week/year and then, one day you will wake up wanting to actually work on the car. Those days are sweet and you will make more progress in an hour than you did in weeks 

Had that today. Last week I had all but given up on trying to fix the cunting ABS of my green E36. Tried new sensors, even a pump/module. Slammed the door, walked away in disgust. 

Had a quick look today. A smudging of green mould ion the connector plug. Contact cleaner and connecting and unconnecting the connecting connector and fuck me, the ABS light goes out now. Also fixed the airbag light and gave the interior the mother and father of a seats-out cleanofest. I have regained some mojo for the festering turd.

• richardthestag, purplebargeken, Bobthebeard and 1 other like this

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F  730i. Prestigious.

1998 R 318i Touring. Daily shitter.

1994 M 318Ti - Track whore

1998 S 323iA Touring. More shit.

​We apologise for the continued delay. Your call is still held in a queue. Please have your reference number ready for the advisor. Your call will be answered as soon as possible.

#1065 OFFLINE   busmansholiday

busmansholiday

• Full Members
  • 469 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of South Yorkshire

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:50 PM

T.C 'Cuth' Harrison was the Ford dealer in Roth and Sheff back then on London Road. He was a very good rally driver and campaigned Mark 1 Zephyrs and stuff in the Monte. Brook Shaw were on Norfolk Street.

TCH in Rotherham were on Sheffield Road, building still there on right heading into town after the bypass.
Brook Shaws Norfolk St premises was a double deck affair, very much like the model garages you see. I remember the Mk I Cortina being parked on the internal ramp. They moved to Shalesmoor when they redeveloped that part of town.
  • The Reverend Bluejeans likes this

#1066 OFFLINE   dome

dome

• Full Members
  • 2,315 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of Fife

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

Very kinds and that's very close to my work but I don't fancy putting it through it's paces on the m8 because [insert excuse here]

Come along in the modern then, it'd be good to see you and we can talk crap about old cars.

Edit, sorry for the hijack SiC, you're invited too!
  • cort16 likes this

#1067 OFFLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 9,345 posts
  • 29 thanks

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:57 PM

Come along in the modern then, it'd be good to see you and we can talk crap about old cars.

Cort, he makes a reasoned arguement
  • cort16 likes this

#1068 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • 68 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

I'd love to but it's a big far for me to go in an evening!
Current Fleet:

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#1069 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 20,028 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:15 PM

Where and when is it again ?

#1070 OFFLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 9,345 posts
  • 29 thanks

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:27 PM

Where and when is it again ?

PM'd

Sorry for the OT SiC!
  • dome likes this

#1071 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • 68 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:30 PM

Ha don't worry, I'm not particularly bothered about thread topic drift. Especially as I am an expert on doing such things myself. I'm just writing up a largish ramble anyway.
  • dome and 320touring like this
Current Fleet:

#1072 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 4,929 posts
  • 69 thanks

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

It needs no welding around the back. All very solid. Does the tank need removing if you're welding up front?

Just don't weld the tank itself and you will be fine, assuming you aren't laid in a puddle of petrol when you start welding that is.

#1073 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • 68 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

As per News 24 thread I've been on holiday over this last weekend on the Isle of Wight. I've held off posting this as I don't like to post that my house is empty on a public forum...

Anyway the weather was great and I had a good time. However one thing really bugged me during the trip. I was driving around in the wrong car. Our A4 I was driving is very practical and relatively economical (well 43mpg for a diesel isn't really) but it felt so wrong. The TT would have been much better but still would have felt like something was missing.

This sort of trip and short holiday is exactly what I bought the MGB for. Buzzing around on a nice warm spring/summer days, seeing new sights and sounds in an old classic car. No rush and no haste needed.

I came to the conclusion that even if I sell this car, I'm likely to regret it as I haven't really experienced it properly. All I'll do then is buy another. Which would be silly when this one should* almost be usable after this current hump.

So for now I'm going to preserve with this time of pain and hope it gets better. Still on a very short leash mind. If it decides to blow its drivetrain up, it won't be staying much longer.

As a separate point, I spent quite a lot of evenings trying to find a place in the UK where land is cheap and I can have a big barn/storage. I'd love to hoover up a small, private collection of 60s/70s cars to play around in. Unfortunately it seems that anywhere that isn't a million miles away from where I am now, thats a tough call. So next is figuring out a way that I can achieve this.
  • richardthestag, Banger Kenny, The Moog and 10 others like this
Current Fleet:

#1074 OFFLINE   purplebargeken

purplebargeken

Someone who is developing reduced levels of patience!

• Full Members
  • 12,058 posts
  • 35 thanks
  • LocationSatan's Shitty Toilet

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:08 PM

Good call mate. The bit of land and a barn is a fantasy shared by many on this forum I imagine. Me included. 

• egg likes this

Hyundai i10 auto - white goods shite

Rover 75 1.8 auto - wafty kettle

Ford Galaxy - big red shite with added space

Triumph Toledo - 2.0 for added sleeper shite

Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto - crusty shite

#1075 OFFLINE   Mally

Mally

• Full Members
  • 2,018 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

No matter how much space you have, unless its a field you will fill it.

You will then have less time to spend on each, and even less progress will result than at present.

Three cars at a time should be ample for you, swop and change as you do now.

You do need a larger Garage though.

• The Reverend Bluejeans, danthecapriman, Banger Kenny and 4 others like this

#1076 OFFLINE   Bobthebeard

Bobthebeard

Bobthebeard

• Full Members
  • 4,629 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationDoing a U turn where possible.

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

No matter how much space you have, unless its a field you will fill it.
You will then have less time to spend on each, and even less progress will result than at present.

Spot on. Don't ask me how I know.
I have (just about) space for one car in the garage and five on the drive.
I have six cars currently.
See. It's true.
Nervously prodding at rust since 1978

1979 Triumph Dolomite 1850 HL Auto
1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 3.1 V6
1993 Rover 416 SI
2001 Rover 75 2.5 KV6 Connoisseur
2001 Saab 9-3 2.0t Auto Convertible
2002 Saab 9-5 2.3t Auto Estate

#1077 OFFLINE   busmansholiday

busmansholiday

• Full Members
  • 469 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of South Yorkshire

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

Mally is correct, trust me. I've 7 vehicles at the moment and even being retired I don't have enough time to keep on top of them as I want. Currently the motorhome is top of the list for some attention after last week's trip. Then Mrs BMH's C3 appears to be leaking from the radiator. I actually washed the green film off the Seat yesterday, and cleaned it as the MoT is due in September (!). Need to sell the camper (37 km last year), the roadster is still under its winter cover, the green MG has been awaiting welding for about 5 years and as for the orange one...

Then I've a couple of Excelsior motorbikes in bits.

Entering the lottery, and winning, is the only way to achieve the dream.

#1078 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • 68 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

Pipes arrived already. The bender is being shipped by Hermes, so I guess it could come anytime this month...
847fbad10e1755fd1eb4901ddfcfffc7.jpg

The nuts on this seem a lot chunkier than the one I fitted. This olive type fitting on the end is very similar to what is already on the existing one. My suspicion is the one on the car at the moment doesn't have a flat neck section on this bit and so the nut isn't sitting square. Just hoping that the thread on the tank isn't buggered either.
8e6b74eb5bc818e46e889524c910dc9d.jpg
  • richardthestag, danthecapriman, The Moog and 4 others like this
Current Fleet:

#1079 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • 68 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:56 PM

My bender has now arrived. I'm hoping that I'll find time and have decent weather to get on with this on Saturday.
fec5529787390467f8e4ec0a2c448d24.jpg

Not sure I really can be bothered with this job mind. Got to get some of the fuel out, avoid getting stinky fuel all over me and pray that the thread on the tank fitting hasn't been buggered up.
  • richardthestag likes this
Current Fleet:

#1080 OFFLINE   Rusty Sills

Rusty Sills

• Full Members
  • 1,950 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:59 AM

Hey SiC it sounds like we were both on the IOW at about the same time! Did you get caught out by that weird road "closure" on the west side of Ventnor like we did?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users