1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter - 6yrs ownership & the end is potentially nigh!

SiC

I was thinking of just removing the whole seat. I guess it's not a big job to remove the seat?

I've got a full set of foam, webbing and backing board. Going to use the original covers as they're not in bad nick. Not the nicest looking fabric (compared to the older cars vinyl) but they are original to the car.

Guest Hooli

I suspect it's four bolts (or nuts) to get the seat out, should be a doddle with a bit of WD40.

If you're still bored wtih it, swap for Saab? :D

Bad isn't it. Last journey was 17 miles but still...

I did think about taking it to my sisters to see my parents on Mothering Sunday. However I need to get that tank changed before I feel confident in going on a long journey.

Seats are fitted to the runners by, I think, 6 cross head screws which are a real twat to get to. Runners fixed to flour with AF bolts, two each side. They go into captive nuts welded under the floor pan . Back ones you can see and wire brush / WD40 beforehand, front ones are inside main box section. You might also find there's a length of thin wood under each runner on top of the carpet.

It goes pear shaped when you remover the seats then decide to see what's under the carpet!!!

It goes pear shaped when you remover the seats then decide to see what's under the carpet!!!

After looking at a couple of other classics recently, I will say that my MGB is very solid and in excellent condition in comparison. Just a few areas (mostly the front driver side wing) where its been touched up with a darker shade of paint than the rest of the car that really lets the side down.

• 2 weeks later...

After looking at a couple of other classics recently, I will say that my MGB is very solid and in excellent condition in comparison. Just a few areas (mostly the front driver side wing) where its been touched up with a darker shade of paint than the rest of the car that really lets the side down.

Relax and enjoy your BGT! The miles you do are unimportant as long as you like having it.

I have had this one for 6 ½ years now and most of the time it sits in storage but I still like having it. My average annual mileage has been 287 miles.

Fix the things that annoy you and ignore the rest.

One of the best looking cars ever made and mine looks best in poor light!

post-4787-0-07866500-1521363402_thumb.jpg

A colleague sent me a picture of a main car, daily driver that some youngish chap near him has.

In 1980 I had a 1970 MGC GT that was used as regular transport , unfortunately not for too long as somebody put a Cortina across the A40 in front of me at zero notice and that was the end of that.

• 4 weeks later...

Our prize...

9a0138c0d837ed00ea751e06a9f96051.jpg

Plucked up the courage today to get on with this. I was going to get the garage to do it but they're busy and the MOT is coming up very shortly. Also need to spend a small fortune out fixing the TT.

Looks alright this side. Hopefully this isn't a false premise.

4b053cee4d63cbd04b1e5600566dadd3.jpg

Bloody stuck pipe nut. This caused me the most grief.

92536b0b78c90d63946008fc07ad3284.jpg

Only one tank fixing gave me grief after the fixing nut came adrift from the mounting. Swiftly sorted with the bodgers favourite tool - mole grips.

dd67aba856774f7974eddeb382088f40.jpg

Ready for the drop!

[Video]

Damn. What's stopping it dropping?

Oh yeah. Undoing this helps! Paper stuffed in the hole to prevent stinky vapours getting everywhere. Off she comes!

b62429c6ba703bc3161da84140f423ce.jpg

Erk. This looks very yucky. 8d4c4147fb3c260aceb069fb135aa759.jpg

933148b2d77647f6ccfe94fd9fcaec74.jpg

This is where the fuel must have been leaking out from.

1af3fb3e4fdc90fae80118d675131624.jpg

So I'm guessing you're wondering what my boot floor looks like after that!

After a worrying amount of detritus and crap falling off - including the rubber straps.

a2069d715f606aa8627d9aae19164556.jpg

It looks like this...

02f22dddaef5f8b96c5989715b6d0ea2.jpg

502e556d7740bf53f38e459e5c83296f.jpg

Worst at the front. I ought to stop poking this. Mostly like a chalky type substance on there. Maybe the old underseal that has been affected by the petrol?

246a278c0331e0756ec296d987a282e4.jpg

59653a86f9d22230986f709230a140b5.jpg

I really ought not to complain! Could have been far, far worse. Just sitting underneath for a bit until it stops raining (handy shelter) and then I'll give it a spray over with be some paint to protect it.

Are you going to weld the old tank?

I did that on the GT6. I'd spent ages cleaning it out and chucked a few matches in it to see if it would explode before I started welding but still had a sphincter tight enough to turn coal into diamonds when I struck the first weld (not that I stick a lot of coal up my arse but I'm up for trying stuff once).

Using it for work tomorrow then?

It's back to push bike season now.

Are you going to weld the old tank?

Due to the plethora of parts for the MGB, I can pick this brand new tank up for £120 delivered next day. Instructions that come with it say don't paint, or remove the protective covering off it as it's rust protected out the factory.

4a3ebb2677d2571a164f7e87848fab45.jpg

The MGB forums seem to debate a lot about putting the rubber webbing up+down or left+right. Factory puts it up+down but this leads to dirt getting stuck. So I chose to go left+right.

Going to put a new pipe in, krust up the rust and then spray some paint over before putting the new tank on. I'll try getting that all done tonight and then leave the tank to fit during the week.

Guest Hooli

Someone one here used a tumble dryer to pump air through a tank for ages to dry it out.

I'd say weld the tank & sell it, but I doubt it's worth the money to bother if new tanks are that reasonable.