Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter - Quick blast and some forgiveness

Marmite

• Please log in to reply
939 replies to this topic

#931 OFFLINE   busmansholiday

busmansholiday

• Full Members
  • 215 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of South Yorkshire

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:44 PM

A lot of older stuff is flippin rubbish to drive. I’ll count my cortina in this but owning one is more than just how it drives it’s how it makes you feel and and an experience that’s different from modern stuff , which all drives the same.

Absolutely.

I am of the age (60's) where a modern pile of crap is easy and comfortable to drive. But would I miss driving the MG roadster in the summer months, you bet I would. It's uncomfortable, at times unreliable, but just puts a smile on your face when you blast down the M1 towards Meadowhell in the outside lane past all the saddos in their big standard boxes of shite.

Just get out there and enjoy it, it might never be the daily drive you wanted, but fun and enjoyment is what it's for. Trust me.
  • richardthestag and spike60 like this

#932 OFFLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

• Full Members
  • 237 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationBogbados, baby!

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:47 PM

You won't know if you like driving it until you've done a good 500 miles or so in it. Poodling around the block doing 10-15 miles each time isn't the best way to get used to it. It's old, it will be temperamental, it will feel heavy and agricultural to drive compared to a later 70's or 80's design as it's on 1950's underpinnings.

Get the tank replaced and the carbs tuned, then stick a picnic hamper in the boot and go out for the day with the other half. It should be a sprightly car without blowing your hair off. You'll soon find out if it's the car for you.

• danthecapriman and SiC like this

Fleet History

1986 Talbot Samba S - 1984 Talbot Horizon - 1974 Simca 1100 - 1987 Pug 205 XS - 1977 Reliant Scimitar - 1976 Reliant Scimitar - 1997 Pug 306 DTurbo - 1999 Skoda Felicia - 1994 VW Golf - 2000 Ford Cougar V6 X -  2003 Ford Focus Ghia 45k - 2005 Saab 9-3 Vector Sportwagon 196k (back on the road)

Dream shite.

Talbot Sunbeam 1.6 with original engine & box - Shove-it with original engine & box - Talbot Samba - Triumph Dolly - Triumph 2000 = Pre-88 Pug 205 - AEC Mammoth Major - Allegro

#933 ONLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 8,693 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

Good effort on the 10 mile trip.

Sounds like it's at least running well enough to drive and get up to some speed,:)

Good perseverance!
  • richardthestag and SiC like this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#934 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 3,857 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:59 PM

Good effort on the 10 mile trip.

WHAT? "Good effort" would be appropriate if the 10 mile trip was done on a unicycle or something.

I understand the reservations about the Sherpa Sports, but 10 miles is a bit lame TBH. Although not half as lame as 4/5 miles.
  • richardthestag likes this

#935 ONLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 8,693 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:55 AM

WHAT? "Good effort" would be appropriate if the 10 mile trip was done on a unicycle or something.

I understand the reservations about the Sherpa Sports, but 10 miles is a bit lame TBH. Although not half as lame as 4/5 miles.

Further than my Clio managed this morning..
  • tooSavvy and SiC like this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#936 OFFLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 5,665 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:39 AM

"..Further than my Clio managed this morning.."

I'm taking the SavvCrew to Leeds for the week in ToMM©...

... am I doing this 'old car thing' wrong, to imagine no one expects two pages of anxt :/

*nails [more!] in tyres reportage notwithstanding...

TS

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_3f0da8b633_m.jpgSUCKS

#937 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 6,307 posts
  • 49 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:45 AM

"..Further than my Clio managed this morning.."

I'm taking the SavvCrew to Leeds for the week in ToMM©...

... am I doing this 'old car thing' wrong, to imagine no one expects two pages of anxt :/

*nails [more!] in tyres reportage notwithstanding...

TS

Well two things. Firstly your car hasn't let you down so suddenly, three times. Secondly, it's Japanese and of an era of Japanese when they were the most solid.

If this hadn't let me down many times, I wouldn't having this conversation. I just have so little trust in it running when I need it to most.
  • tooSavvy likes this
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#938 OFFLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 5,665 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:57 AM

.... just joshinn ya ;)

*IMP owner/no RAC cover* bitd

TS
  • richardthestag likes this

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_3f0da8b633_m.jpgSUCKS

#939 OFFLINE   busmansholiday

busmansholiday

• Full Members
  • 215 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of South Yorkshire

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

Well two things. Firstly your car hasn't let you down so suddenly, three times. Secondly, it's Japanese and of an era of Japanese when they were the most solid.

If this hadn't let me down many times, I wouldn't having this conversation. I just have so little trust in it running when I need it to most.

I can understand your concerns here. Tuesday, our first MGB that's liable to be on fleabay soon as the garage she's kept in is going, was so called because she broke down on Mrs BMH every Tuesday she tried to go to work in it. She has never fully forgiven it and yet we bought this in Paignton when visiting her sister and I drove it back north without any problems.

Patience is what you need and just building up the trips without any drama in them. Getting home without drama in an old car is a double edged sword, boring in one way but satisfying in another.

#940 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,384 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:20 PM

How many times has my Mercury fucked me over in the few years I've had it!?
I don't know but it's been fairly frequent and at least twice it was pretty serious. I've mentioned before what that beast is like when it's playing up, especially when it decides to just stop running and your just a passenger in it with very little control as non of the brakes or steering work without power...

But,

I still love it! It takes a bit of time and perseverance with old stuff, especially after they've been sat for years, to iron out all the bugs and gremlins. Machines deteriorate when they don't get used and that makes them rough and unreliable.
It is disheartening to keep hitting your head against a wall with them at times, I'd considered selling the Merc last time but if you keep plugging away and using them more and more it does turn a corner eventually. You don't even need to do everything over night, a little at a time and it'll get there.
The most trouble free reliable car I've had? My 74 Capri! Yes it's taken a shit ton load of graft and cash now (but that was my choice to get it back to A1) but that cars only let me down once since 2001. It always starts, runs and drives without a hint of grumpy old car syndrome. Why? Because I've spent ages going over it and sorting its problems out then using it. Most of the time for no other reason than just driving somewhere for the hell of it!
What I'm saying is, just give it a chance...

Although I will say part of this old car thing is about finding what's good for you.
I've had loads and I'm confident in exactly what cars I like and what I don't. The Capri was always my 'hero' car and I'd always wanted one so dropping on this one after leaving school and loving it in the metal was just luck really. I could have driven it and thought 'actually this is pretty shit!'.
If after a while you still don't get on with the B then have a go in some other cars. Eventually you might find something you do gel with. Maybe it's a Dolly for you?
But I'd give the B more time and definitely much more use! If nothing else it's allowed you to tinker with an old car and learn a bit about them which you can then take with you to the next one.
  • mercrocker and SiC like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users