1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter - 6yrs ownership & the end is potentially nigh!

SiC

I must be still experiencing the side effects of the recent general anaesthetic as I can understand (without a headache) what TS is saying in the posts. It's all a bit scary.  :)

When I started doing that I wondered if I'd been here too long.

I have a complete new tank, sender and fitting kit ready to go on. Just need to book it in and get it down to the garage I use in the centre.

I actually understand TS pretty well. Bizzare given I'm generally rubbish at reading and writing!

Inca Yellow is bloody ace.

Si, want to come over in the MG? We can beat the tank sender into submission with bits of Dolomite I have hanging round.

Yellow is lovely! One of my favourite colours on cars. If you weren't busy tomorrow, I'd come straight down and got your modern working. Instead I'm looking at rotten Dolly's. :D

Taken from t'internet:

David, the first thing I would do is spray all the attachment bolts with some kind of penetrating lubricant and let it work for a while. Depending on the amount of rust underneath, the bolts may be somewhat easy or very difficult to get off. 
All there is to remove is, the electrical wire for the fuel sender and the fuel line next to it and 4 bolts on the left side, 3 on the right side and 2 on the rear end of the tank. 
Drain/pump out all the fuel out of the tank and support the tank with a floor jack or something so you can loosen the bolts and then lower it down.

I'd also be getting them to tune the carbs properly, weld up the small hole in the castle rail and change over the partially stripped threads on one of the rear hubs too. They would also give a look around for me and a heads up on anything that may cause it to fail it's MOT in a couple of months.

That Dolly looks like if my two cars both merged into one!

It looks like a right heap in the up-to-date pictures though, Inca Yellow is baaaad for showing any and all bodywork woes but it reminds me too much of my 1850 just before I discovered the chassis legs and boot floor had mysteriously vanished and the steering column was holding the subframe on.

When very tidy Dolly 1300s crop up for the £2-3k on the regular I consider asking £2k for an scruffy, unwashed car to be a bit of a joke. I don't like all that gunk sitting in the rain gutters, under the door trims and along the A-pillars which are prone to rust at the best of times either...

Fair enough, but when you get round to learning to weld, which I am all for.

I assume you will get the garage to remove the tank for safety before you start?

It needs no welding around the back. All very solid. Does the tank need removing if you're welding up front?

That Dolly looks like if my two cars both merged into one!

It looks like a right heap in the up-to-date pictures though, Inca Yellow is baaaad for showing any and all bodywork woes but it reminds me too much of my 1850 just before I discovered the chassis legs and boot floor had mysteriously vanished and the steering column was holding the subframe on.

When very tidy Dolly 1300s crop up for the £2-3k on the regular I consider asking £2k for an scruffy, unwashed car to be a bit of a joke. I don't like all that gunk sitting in the rain gutters, under the door trims and along the A-pillars which are prone to rust at the best of times either...

Yes I think it's a tad on the overpriced side, even with an MOT and it's low miles. Not too far off though mind. Yours with an MOT and in its current body condition should fetch £1500 ok.

Just been out for another blast. Went a bit further this time, out of the city and onto back roads. It wasn't my intention, but this time it's pretty much a 10 mile journey.

I really should take a few photos out...

a76b7aa40d2cda31353b0e4720b700a7.jpg

e9312b762b448eea0b60c382285a519e.jpg

I did even manage to get some dirt onto it!

030e70df92e53fad84b4478a5caff672.jpg

(No that's not rust...)

I think I could do with putting a few shims or even put the old pressure relief spring back on. Once warmed, at 2500rpm the pressure is around 45psi. Either that or the oil gets too thin when hot and leaks around the pressure relief valve.

Managed to get up to an indicated 50mph on this run too. Ran pretty well. A few issues though. The idle can sometimes be high (1250-1500rpm) or slow at dropping when revved. I suspect this is probably because the carbs are still a bit rich. They're rather black and sooty when I checked them after the run. Also hamfisted undoing number 4 and cracked the top plug body. FFS. Stuck one of the older plugs (fresh when I bought it, so not old) back in that one.

Secondly was operator error. The car felt like it was holding back at times and there was some rubbing noises when at speed. When almost home I realised I must have accidentally knocked the handbrake on one click. FFS Oops. I don't think any harm was done. If anything may helped clean down the drums.

Did I enjoy the trip? Not really. Not sure if it's because driving it at the moment sends my anxiety meter wild or that after wanting one for years, you sometimes shouldn't meet your idols.

Next time I'll make this post a bit more interesting by taking some pictures of it next to fields and stuff.

In the mean time, have a picture of a Vauxhall Victor that I saw yesterday when I visited my parents down in Sidmouth.

80ac3b1216f9afef850d45c7fa1a9029.jpg

Did I enjoy the trip? Not really. Not sure if it's because driving it at the moment sends my anxiety meter wild or that after wanting one for years, you sometimes shouldn't meet your idols.

As I've said before, they're pretty uninspiring to drive, even by the standards of their era.

The styling, seating position and noise make you think they're a proper sports car, but the limitations of their BMC Oxbridge underpinnings soon become apparent.

Two MGB GTs today at Milton Keynes Car gathering and when I got home their is a friends MGB on my drive. I think the GT is stunning to look at and while mine trundles along ok, the one I have staying with me has a 130 bhp Ocelli 2 Ltr fast road engine, uprated brakes and suspension that make it a different car. 

post-4787-0-89413100-1517766191_thumb.jpg

It's probably too early for me to write it off just yet. I need to get the seat foam and webbing replaced first. It should be a bit more enjoyable to drive if I don't keep sliding off the seat and hit my spine against the metal chair back support. Plus drive it more.

However I can't say that I enjoy driving it. I'd much rather go out for a blast in my modern devil fueled Civic. Whether that's trust or something else I don't know. Cornering it does do, but doesn't inspire masses of confidence - again sliding around on the seat doesn't help that too much. The engine tapping/rattling away just feels like you're abusing it.

I'd probably forgive it if was a family car or something run of the mill. I guess to me it fell a bit like a fraud or imposter. Certainly at the moment.

I was looking to get new leaf springs and coil springs. Also redo the bushes in the back. However I'm not sure if it'll really make that much difference. The front end on mine should be pretty much sorted with working dampers and all new bushes. Springs are originalish and probably sagged a bit, but I don't think they'd lost much of their springing ability.

Out of those that have driven the two, I guess even a low spec Dolomite would handle significantly better than the MGB??

If that all sounds very negative and like I regret buying the car, then that's not true. I've thoroughly enjoyed tinkering and fixing it. Not enjoyed the stress at all, of it conking out. Driving is so-so right now. Performance actually better than I expected. Revs freely and if the Speedo is to believed, accelerates respectably. I guess its a car that I've not gelled with just yet. I need to give it some time really to decide that or not.

I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping it at least over the summer. Not least I have promised my Father-in-law a ride in it. He's insured so I'll let him have a go too. Maybe he could become a custodian for this year?

Also I've spent far too much on it to let it go too soon! I suspect I won't get my money back that I've spent. The body itself is very solid. Only a couple of rust blebs that have been badly touched up by the previous owner. The paint is generally good. Front end let's it down where a previous owner has repainted a bit with a different shade of paint. However from 6 foot away it doesn't embarrass itself.

Worry of an unused car is still with me as well, 110 miles now with my Gamma. The only concern is sometimes the idle stays up around 2,000 rpm.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! If this car was a modern and not a bit of a hobby, it would have been sold already.

Out of those that have driven the two, I guess even a low spec Dolomite would handle significantly better than the MGB??

No, there is nothing wrong with MGB handling every bit as good as a Dolomite. MGBs may have lower levels of grip that modern car, but are perfectly capable of travelling at normal road speeds without concern. I wish you were closer and you could come out in the modified car, that really lifts it skirts and runs! The steering is a bit heavy is the only negative I have.

I wish you were closer and you could come out in the modified car, that really lifts it skirts and runs! The steering is a bit heavy is the only negative I have.

So you're telling me that I need to throw some more money and parts at mine?! :P

I had hoped I've done that enough!