1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter - 6yrs ownership & the end is potentially nigh!

SiC

I used a tow pole (machine mart version) to tow Chuck's Clio with the MX5 and it was the first time the Mrs had ever been towed and the first time she had sat in the drivers seat of a Clio. It is very easy and takes most of the worry out of it.

Also if you have the pole then you won't need it.

Probably didn't word my reply quite correctly. If the air is being compressed by the oil, it will be still be pressing on the other-side of the air bubble with the same force.

yes it does but makes the gauge operation jerky. air compresses more than oil, wont hurt it, like I said if it keeps you awake at night :D

It doesnt drain back because it is a one way street and the vacuum in the pipe at the gauge end holds the oil in it.

When Junkman said that his P6 is possessed I thought he was talking bollocks. I mean how can cars be possessed?

Well this evening after finishing sorting out the garages, I jumped in the MGB and thought sod it. I'm going to give this a blast around the block for a mile.

Started her up, ran a bit lumpy to start but once the throat cleared it was fine. First time it's done this though. Turned the lights on.

9efd6e5b604963f4ac0e18c09b9fd9ad.jpg

Dash completely in darkness. OH FFS.

Fiddled with the light switch. Still nothing.

Well your headlights work so you're going to go for a drive whatever happens you b*****d.

So I gave the bloody thing a blast around to the next street and back. I was half expecting her to show disgust at me ignoring her strop and conk out while turning in the road. Luckily for me, she behaved and got me back home with all cylinders still firing.

Most likely a loose earth wire on one of the thumb wheels on the back of the dials

I think it's the light switch. It used to be a bit dodgy when going onto the dash/side light position. But switching it to dipped and back turned them on. Tried that a couple of times this time but it made no difference. I put my hand up around the back on the switch and I couldn't feel anything loose.

I'll take the switch out tomorrow and have a look. Will give me a chance to bleed the oil gauge too. I changed the filter but as probably what everyone is expected, it made no difference.

Probably dirty contacts in the switch I bet. I'll pull it apart, loose all the springs, clean it, try putting it back together, fail and buy a new one anyway.

My Midget had a switch to turn the dashlights off, have these got one?

It does but it's broken since I've had it! Always gave full brightness, no matter the position. Not sure if it was bypassed or not. Was at the bottom of my priority list to fix.

The merc has done that on me before. It’s always the rheostat dimmer thing.

Turning the lights on dipped gave me this:

7b21eade36ccfd599293ccd7b2e3040a.jpg

So 100% spot on. (And others also said, but Richard was first)

Inexplicably it appears the dimmer has partially started working again. Fiddling with the rheostat control turned the lights back on:

7741cc7e274cda8d2f23e9a14260378c.jpg

It's gone from all positions on the control doing nothing, to max brightness being off and the dimming working. Lucas handily put four contacts on the back of the control, with 2 of each joining together. This maked bypassing a really easy job. Just swap one connection over to the other side!

cb6fda1d3253673544a4f8e594fdb070.jpg

Apparently bypassing it also brightens up the dash lights. Which, given how dim it is normally even at max brightness, anything extra helps.

See if they work for a 4 mile drive. Right now

Before:

5889d4a8f0d0f73ec2310932d3a9b3ea.jpg

After:

9c90d5f4a2e66ad5808019fa57ddad51.jpg

Not quite 4 miles but happy now? ;)

Took it for a 20 minute or so run around the block locally. Seemed to run fine. Oil pressure is looking a bit more sensible at idle. Maybe the vibrations and oil flow helps bleed and clear the pressure gauge? Still quite a low running pressure - lower than before. I guess it's probably just crap quality oil as others have said. Didn't want to go for too much longer as I had no idea how much fuel was in the tank and I forgot my can.

Gained a bit more confidence but still anxious that it's about to cut out. Doesn't help when it did before, it was all the rather sudden. Then you have a split second to first determine that it's died, then another split second on where you can ditch it out of harm's way.

Currently 4/10 (up 2 from 2/10).