1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter - 6yrs ownership & the end is potentially nigh!

SiC

From what I've read and seen on this thread, I think you should sell it tbh. You've never seemed to bond with it and, in my opinion/experience, a fun/toy/hobby car has to have a certain something that this one doesn't appear to give you. You have to love it for some reason, and look forward to tinkering with it and driving it. Yeah all cars cause annoyance and we have times when we want to be rid of them, but these should be in the small minority.

I loved your Saab and Smart threads. You were always getting stuck in and doing all sort of electronickery that most folk (me included) wouldn't have had a chance at, and it looked like you enjoyed improving them. The MG just seems to be a source of annoyance for you.

As always, IMHO, YMMV etc etc.

Blimey. These are very simple faults and will be easy to rectify, its not as if the big ends have gone. That coil was already doomed as it's not an 'original' one and probably only half-filled with oil. The leak is easy to trace and could be a poor weld. You need to persevere with this. If the gearbox implodes then I'll grant you quits.

The leak is the fixing itself. I tried tightening it up further and it's done that thing when it jumps back off the thread. I'm hoping it's the pipe nut that is buggered but I suspect and dread it's the tank fixing. Just checked the leak again and it's roughly dripping once a minute. Possibly could drive it like that, as it's on the suction side but not sure it's really safe to. Problem is, the tank is now full. So I'll have to drain it before I can do anything on that fixing. If it's the tank and it needs to be replaced, it'll be an absolute pain as I'll have to drain the tank completely. I don't have anywhere enough fuel containers to take 55 litres.

Found the lost bolt. Was on top of the oil cooler. Left it there and in my stress + anger I forgot it was there and kept over looking it.

8fe73dca368e3074146beb723b193f10.jpg

Giving the coil a poke with a screwdriver and the top looks pretty rusty. So suspect it's been a bit crappy for a while.

deb9b381fd92c8c8ea462e820c030e37.jpg

I have thrown on a standard Accuspark coil I bought a while a go as something to play with on the bench. Have the older Lucas coil still that the last owner replaced with that newer black one. Could give that a go I guess.

If I don't get MOT by Monday, I'll have to then wait for the MOT exemption. My breakdown cover won't cover me if there is no active MOT in force (unless exempt). No way I'm going to drive it 5 miles through Bristol without breakdown cover.

A thought re the tank leak.

I put a new tank and fuel pipe in the Minor about 3 or 4 years back. When doing up the fuel pipe it didn't feel right, though it did screw up. I mentioned this on a forum and it was suggested to contact the supplier. Turns out they'd had a batch of tanks with poor threads, ended up sending it back for them to sort. Perhaps something similar here?

They're old cars. They're mechanical objects. These two facts are not unrelated, especially when you stick them in a corner dormant for months at,a time then expect them to be all hunky dory straight off the bat. We're so used to modern fuel injection and electronic ignition and other ecu controlled comforts (you know, all the things we rile against in the grumpy thread) that we've forgotten what folks had to go through to keep mobile in their weapon of choice. A twenty year old mondeo will always run rings around these museum pieces in terms of reliability but what else would you expect?

SIC, you haven't bonded with this and the thought of you getting a Dolomite instead make me imagine further tales of woe about the fact that it doesn't live up to your expectations. Hindsight is rose tinted, we're all guilty of that but the reality is, no matter what it is, it won't behave like a car from the modern era that you use everyday.

That leads me onto the next thing. Swapping lumps of metal/elecical equipment,oily bits won't necessarily cure all ills. Sure it's new but this is an analogue car in a digital world - you have to constantly fettle and work at it to get any reward whatsoever. Trust me, after a life of far too many old cars being run as my everyday transport, I know a) how you feel and b ) what I'm talking about. Running an Austin AS3 A39 from 1952 as an everyday as a student as I needed a small car to keep costs down taught me that that choice meant that there was no day that I was not either greasing, adjusting fettling or doing something just to keep me rolling along with some reliability. It's an endless and unrewarding task but read period magazines and you realise that this was the way back then and we have come a cast distance in terms of reliability.

I'm not ranting and I'd love to see you all enjoy your choices but you must remember, it takes effort, a lot of constant effort at times, to make that choice.

I totally understand that and I'm fully prepared that it will require tinkering to make these things usable. However what makes it incredibly frustrating is that there are plenty of people who can daily these things and vehicles of a similar era, yet I can't seem to manage more than a couple of miles before having something else fail.

My thoughts on this car aren't helped by the fact that I was already on edge for it's MOT tomorrow and now I can't do it means massive hassle to get it done another time. Incredibly frustrating. It's also irritating that it expires this month. Especially as it's only another month away from becoming exempt. I didn't want to wait till then as I wanted to drive it around asap and gain up confidence in it.

Also I worry what else the MOT will bring up. I suspect the brakes will need a bit of tweaking. Front discs look rather glazed over and I suspect the back brakes will need readjusting at the very least...

I totally understand that and I'm fully prepared that it will require tinkering to make these things usable. However what makes it incredibly frustrating is that there are plenty of people who can daily these things and vehicles of a similar era, yet I can't seem to manage more than a couple of miles before having something else fail.

Anybody dailying a 1960s/70s car has already gone through what you're going through unless it was already a daily when they bought it. It took me several months to cover 300 miles in the Doloshite when I first got it due to it constantly refusing to start, and then the rocker gear fell to bits. Why does your car only have one MOT entry on the govt website? Has it been off the road for ages previously?

Having said that old car ownership isn't for everyone, especially somebody with quite high standards as to how they keep their cars. Hence why most minted classics are owned by retiree giffers with unlimited tinkering time...

Ok slightly more realistically...

The fitting coming out of the tank is steel and the union nut going onto the pipe is brass. Steel threads are much tougher than brass so your unlikely to have damaged your new tank. More likely overtightening has caused the brass to strip.

The tank pickup is at the top of the tank so disconnecting the fitting will only cause a small amount of fuel to come out. A funnel and a single fuel can should be enough. you could also jack up the front of the car to which should take the pressure off.

Personally I would not be happy with the kinked pipe, for me this would be a much bigger problem than the drip. A tiny drip is likely to remain constant, the kinked pipe could fatigue at random and chuck a large volume of pressurised fuel everywhere.

I would replace that run of hose with flexi, to do this you will need to make the fitting coming out of the tank into a hose tail. Its probably bsp (you'd need to check) If it is something like this would do the job: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Female-BSP-Straight-Hosetail-Connectors-Barbed-connecting-Hose-tails/131417048754?var=430763375215&hash=item1e991106b2:m:ms2t4ek_J8nIao5paaxr04g When fitting the hosetail I'd use a fuel resistent thread lock / sealent. Some people would use PTFE tape. 

I would connect to the first decent bit of pipe work under the car and secure with decent jubilee / hose cllips. Flexible pipe is much eaiser to work with in a confined space. you can secure it with cable ties to the existing mount points.

If it still leaks after that destroying it with fire is probably a decent solution.

Joe

I don't know if it helps, but I spent the year between the last two MoTs with the Princess breaking so regularly and infuriatingly that I only managed to do 300 miles in it.  Since the MoT at the end of March, I've been sticking about 60 miles a week under the tyres.  It *does* get better, it *does* get easier.  Some days that can be very hard to believe!   You're working your way through problems that have likely been ignored for a very long time and as you fix one thing you'll usually find another two problems.  This is normal when a car isn't used and not a reflection on your abilities, nor the quality of the car really.  Regular MG B users do tend to have regular issues with their cars, the trick is figuring out which ones to sort and which ones to live with and, at the moment, you seem to be working that balance out.

The hobby can be maddening when things don't work as they ought.  One good day of successes, even little ones, will set it all right again.  Also, don't forget you made it to the petrol station AND back home without having to call for recovery.  That's something of a victory given how annoying this car has managed to be.

It's probably the pressure of an impending MoT (always stressful, I find), the Honda bump, and the TT wanting to destroy your wallet all combined that's making the MG B seem like a basket case.  It's not.  You've just got a lot of plates on sticks.

What Vulg says. Sounds like your main issue has been time - oldies do occasionally like to eat up great chunks of it. Coalnotdole raises some very valid points. I think I'd be happier with a flexi in place of your kinky copper too. Still, see how it does on the test. The occasional drip of fuel is unlikely to be a serious fire risk - ask someone who bought a CX, filled it and then found it absolutely pissed fuel everywhere! My only solution was to boot it as much as possible to get the fuel level to drop a bit...

If you can find a nice hill on the way to the MOT, that should clean the brakes up a bit. I'm fortunate that my test station is at the bottom of a big hill, so I did a few hard stops down that after waking the 2CV from its winter hibernation.

Right I've cancelled the MOT. No point sending it in as it will fail with a fuel leak. As all the area is brand new fixings, it will be obvious with any tester that it is leaking.

Instead of using my usual garage that is ~5 miles away, I'm going to rebook it at the nearest one to me which is ~0.2 miles away. I like to use my usual garage as I trust them and like to give them my business.

However the garage that is 0.2miles away is the one that I looked at that rubber bumper orange MGB GT all that time back, saw Louise2CV Allegro outside and regularly browse at their classics. Hence should be classic friendly. So if it does fail, they should be very much prepared and setup to fix any old car problems. Especially on something like an MGB ( they'll also know exactly what to look for that it will fail on too!).

I have the day off today anyway, so depending what my other half wants to do today I may go down to Moss and get a new fuel pipe. I was thinking of using a bit of flex hose to connect the two sections up. Use the existing

My thoughts on this car aren't helped by the fact that I was already on edge for it's MOT tomorrow and now I can't do it means massive hassle to get it done another time. Incredibly frustrating. It's also irritating that it expires this month. Especially as it's only another month away from becoming exempt. I didn't want to wait till then as I wanted to drive it around asap and gain up confidence in it.

Also I worry what else the MOT will bring up. I suspect the brakes will need a bit of tweaking. Front discs look rather glazed over and I suspect the back brakes will need readjusting at the very least...

You bought the car with MOT to use, it has let you down consistently despite you giving it the attention it wanted. 

From this it is easy to see why you are so frustrated with it. Go and see the local garage today and see if they can MOT it today, tell them about the petrol leak beforehand and they might be able to sort it at the same time.

It needs to get on the road and get some miles on it. To do that you need to be prepared to go out in it and breakdown and have your tools and the Mrs on standby with a tow rope.

You will either get there with it or sell it with the associated loss.

Get it MOTed and go for a few breakdown ready runs. (not sure what else to say really)

I was thinking last night exactly what Vulg was saying. My frustration is born out of the fact that I seem to be setting fire to money and throwing it out of the window with cars right now. TT going to be expensive next week, the A4 is going to need 4 new tyres (~£130 a corner :( ) and then got to get the MGB through an MOT. Oh and my push bike is in dire need of a good sort out - brake pads/chain ring/cassette/chain/bottom bracket/rims trued.

All things not directly related to a fuel leak on a pipe that I fitted. But things that have been irritating me and that leaky pipe caused me to snap.

Basically feels like this at the moment and sums it up perfectly:

giphy.gif

Frustration also at the fact that I thought this car was already for it's MOT too. In truth the current fuel leak is really my fault. I either overtightened the fixing or the pipe was faulty. I'm wondering if the pipe end isn't clean and the nut isn't sitting square when done up. Again my fault as I should have looked at it a bit closer.

A new pipe is only 15 quid or so, so not going to break the bank. Just have to get some of the fuel out first, but probably can jack it up, undo the fitting and throw a Jerry can under the pipe.

Feeling a bit better about it after having slept on it too.

Fuel pipes = you need a Laser tools pipe bender, £24 quid ish but does the job.

Leak = yes, you've probably overtightened the brass nut and damaged the thread. As previously mentioned PTFE on the thread when fitting and less force.

MoT= obviously not going to plan, it's the bit when you find out what you're missed.

Sale = no, I've already got three thank you, and none have been on the road this year yet.

Old cars get to you when they go wrong, which they do because they are old.

Keep smiling, you'll get there, eventually.

I don't think we can underestimate the value of a garage in situations like this. The ability to down tools, close the doors and not even have to look at the car in question for a bit helps me greatly.

ETA I hope my earlier post didn't come across as curt, I have every sympathy for you with the issues you're having. Incredibly frustrating.

As frustrating as it is you sometimes need to remember it’s a hobby . Do little bits at a time, 2 hours a weeks and you’ll get there eventually .

Welding is even more frustrating , little patches turn into gaping holes you can get your head in and you spend your life chasing holes in rusted metal .

Saying all that I’d mot it and sell it as I’ve got the feeling from this thread it’s not really your cup of tea. What kept me going with the cortina was a I really really want a cortina if you’re not into it then it makes it even harder.

I also farmed some stuff out to a garage like that ball joints it needed for an mot. You need an air chisel to get them off. not interested so I paid someone to do it but I did the brakes and water pump I did myself as it’s doable with limited tools and no ramp.

Saying all that I’d mot it and sell it as I’ve got the feeling from this thread it’s not really your cup of tea. What kept me going with the cortina was a I really really want a cortina if you’re not into it then it makes it even harder.

I've always wanted a MGB GT and it's probably why I've persevered with this one so long. I really do want it to work as a car, but right now that's what is being tested for me. As they say though, sometimes it's better to not meet your hero's.

It's just this particular example of a car giving me huge anxiety when driving that I really do hate. I like sitting in it, being around it but it stresses me right out driving this car.

Fuel pipes = you need a Laser tools pipe bender, £24 quid ish but does the job.

Leak = yes, you've probably overtightened the brass nut and damaged the thread. As previously mentioned PTFE on the thread when fitting and less force.

MoT= obviously not going to plan, it's the bit when you find out what you're missed.

Sale = no, I've already got three thank you, and none have been on the road this year yet.

Old cars get to you when they go wrong, which they do because they are old.

Keep smiling, you'll get there, eventually.

Those brass nuts tend to be quite soft, & will stretch if over tightened. Just a light nip is all they need.

I felt great * after years of welding the cortina and generally doing a shit ton of work on it when I fired it up and it over heater .

If anything, this car has given me an idea and emapthy of people's frustrations, annoyance and dismay when their car breaks.

My other hobby that I haven't done in a while is model flying. This has the same level of irritation where you prep a plane the day before going down to the field and it all works. You pack up for the day, all ready for a good days flying. Drive down, unpack and the bloody thing won't start up. Or a servo/linkage/battery fails. Or simply you forgot to charge the battery pack. Even worse, it all seems fine on the floor but when up in the air it fails. Invariably that means it's coming back down to the ground unplanned and not as straight as it went out as. Which then meant anotber day, week or months gluing it all back together again.

Even when it's working perfectly it still requires maintenance. Usually as much as, if not more than the time actually spent in the air.

So you buy another as a spare. Then another. Then another because you fancy trying something different. Then another because it looks like a fun project. Until you end up with a shed full.

68901bfa4d2d05f721754f87b01a6078.jpg

3815e3708a4a72dfcc0feb5784503467.jpg

Incidentally I got bored of flying after I lost the challenge of doing it and everything was reliable & routine.

I would personally persevere, especially as you've said it's a car you've always wanted. MoT it, if it's going to a classic friendly garage get them to tweak the mix and balance the carbs, and use it once a week at least with a friend or the wife in a car behind you, or AA* cover for the first few trips just in case. Get used to its little quirks and foibles. Sometimes these things take time but it's worth the hassle if you end up really fond of driving it and relish every moment you have behind the wheel then's the time to think of sensible upgrades to make it more better modern motoring - electronic ignition, uprated cooling system with electric fan, better brakes. It's still essentially a 50's car underneath so expect some tweaking once a month with a grease gun, some feeler gauges and a half-inch socket. If you don't like it, then sell on with however much MoT is left (Even if it's ticket exempt), showing it has met a standard of roadworthiness is a stronger selling point than one that hasn't. Plus it's a B - it'll always sell.

Through experience I didn't gel with my Scimitar at first but 'twas a car on my 'to own' list, but lower priority to own than others. It was tired, floppy, neglected and had some dreadful bodges and faults which I sorted out over 6 months or so. Then I got the carb tweaked at a classic Ford V6 specialist, ditched the points and it soon got to be a really good, reliable car with daily use, and I soon fell for it. Then some idiot in a British Gas van drove into the back of it. So I bought another, and repeated the process. Would get another Scim at the drop of a hat money, space and wife permitting.

*Other breakdown/recovery services are available.

Step back from the project; hold the MOT off for a while. Then go back to it in a couple of weeks, you're nearly there, just getting a bit of project fatigue. Recommissioning an elderly car almost always results in a lot more time, coffee and bruised knuckles than you imagined it would...

I've had my Saab 96 for over 18 months, it's virtually a bare shell now, I got fucked off with it's very existence in my garage a couple of months ago, a fresh appraisal earlier this week and a few sunny days and I'm much more positive about it.

After having a nice day today, I've cooled down a bit and had a good retrospective think. I really can't moan about the tank as that is all done with my hands. I've either done it wrong or a part is faulty. If I did it right, it wouldn't be leaking now and it would have been in for it's MOT already.

So I've ordered this ready to fit once I get a chance: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382085537143

Busy all this weekend, so hopefully I will be able to get it fitted sometime one evening next week. Got to figure how and what I'm going to drain the fuel tank down into. Not a full drain but I'm hoping I can get enough out to be below the tank port and also not more than my 20l Jerry can.

Once that is all done, I'll lob it at the garage around the corner for it's MOT and keep my fingers crossed. I am tempted also to get them to do an inspection service to see if there is anything I've missed or something that they think is nearly end of life.

Worse case, a month today it'll be exempt.

I really want to get some use out of this before I sell it. Probably won't be a long termer (would if I had the space) but I'd like to get it used this summer and have some fun out of it given how much time & energy I've thrown at it.