Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter - Lucas trying to let his smoke out

• Please log in to reply
492 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 5,121 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

Would it not cause more noise from creating interference from the varying pressure waves off the blades?

..... Ford Cortina/Capri plastic fan. Anyone?

TS

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_3f0da8b633_m.jpgSUCKS

#482 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,750 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

..... Ford Cortina/Capri plastic fan. Anyone?TS

Indeed!

35458832542_6cdb25bd51_o.jpgIMG_0478 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Here's my Capri one after it did not have a wash in the dishwasher!
  • Banger Kenny, tooSavvy, SiC and 1 other like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#483 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 6,400 posts
  • 58 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:13 PM

Midgets had odd looking fans like that too.

It might make a bit more noise, but I think it removes the drone so it's a less annoying noise.

#484 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 6,400 posts
  • 58 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

When you get bored of this being just another MGB GT...

MGB Pickup1.jpg

MGB Pickup2.jpg

#485 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 5,096 posts
  • 30 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:18 PM

One thing I've noticed since owning this, everytime someone asks me about what classic car I have, I apologise and make excuses before I even say. Owning an MGB feels a bit like to me that you are saying that you want a classic car but don't have much idea and inspiration. Also if you speak to anyone who owns classic cars, they usually turn their nose up at MGBs. Which is probably unfair as they are very likable cars. Interestingly, I find that those who don't own a classic car and but interested in them, actually are usually positive about them.

I've been really wanting to take this out and even more so after being to the NEC show. However since changing the alternator, I've not even had a chance to start it up. Work, life and house sale+buying has got in the way over the last few weeks.

This evening I decided to just get it sorted. Got in to be greeted with a soggy footwell. I really need to get this out of direct contact with the elements. :(

She took quite a lot of turning over before firing. I suspect that's because the battery is just getting a bit flat and struggling. Once firing into life, the alternator light continued to glow brightly. FFS.

I pulled the bulb holder out and the bulb flickered out. Then I could hear a very slight belt squeal - which actually was quite reassuring as it meant that the alternator must have kicked in. As the battery is quite flat, I guess that it must be putting quite a load on the belt. Even though the belt is very new, the pulleys don't seem to offer too much friction. At this point I shut the engine down and went inside for tea and a ponder on what it could be.

As I'd resoldered the bulb contacts, the only thing plausible is if the holder was shorting against ground. Given the bulb holder is metal, it should be sitting inside a insulated mount. Looking underneath at the back of the rev counter it became clear.

1b9d55e001eb10f470a6a5e9de2bcb0a.jpg

b03e0f013a26f635d0dcc5c883a271c6.jpg

How it seems like it should be mounted:
c0f7c60f7cd91cf492825d9fa61d8458.jpg

Sticking out of the black plastic mount is two metal locating tabs. I really don't know why they're standing proud of the mount but it means that if the bulb is fully pushed it, they contact. As (lucky or by design) the metal outside of bulb holder is the alternator field coil connection, so it's that what shorts to ground and not the ignition live. This lead the field coils unable to start up and thus not charge. The bulb lit because the casing became the ground point for the ignition live.

It also explains why fiddling with the holder could get it to start charging. As the metal tabs are slightly oxidized, with enough revs the field coils could generate enough power (with not a lot of current getting through the bulb) to get the alternator working.

So essentially the old alternator might be absolutely fine and I didn't need a new. However at least I have a spare. Plus the old one had squeaking bearings and this new one is much quieter.

To fix, instead of cutting off the tabs (incase they served a purpose I haven't realised for yet), I popped on an o-ring onto the end of the bulb holder. This acts as an insulated spacer to stop the bulb holder being pushed too far down and it happening again.
f96636145c6420628f6081b097322613.jpg

Seems to have done the trick.
46e646f3e6fd9606f05adf4f2c99a1d8.jpg
5fb8f9bb27b249f357ffc005e586b174.jpg

At the NEC I bought some spare ignition parts.
455f8cc86be0fb916a6005560ed4d441.jpg

The primary thing was these mythical red rotors arms from the distributor doctor. I got two, along with two pairs of points. That way I can have one rotor at base and one as spare in the car. The black one on the car seems pretty decent quality though. I've left it on there for the time being as it works and I don't want to break anymore!

I do need learn how to setup points. I'm guessing it's not that hard to do. Tempted to get an old second hand distributor to pull apart and understand how they work and setup.

One thing that's been bugging my OCD is the accelerator pedal on MGBs have no rubber pad out of the factory. The MGA does and luckily the pedal rubber fits on. For a quid at the show, it wasn't too expensive a mod!

f10de192ffefafb528f6ea5414ba31f4.jpg

b0b1c4e0e968f1974e309413a9a6ff8d.jpg

ff674e8ff2d734de3c02598320ef03eb.jpg

The new and old rubber pads have set my OCD off again and I may have to change the other two in the not too distant future... I'll drive the damn thing first though mind.

The battery is now on charge in the garage, ready for a couple of days time when I hope to give it the first proper spin in a while. I just need the freezing weather to hold off until then, so I don't subject the underside to any salt for as long as possible.
  • Heidel_Kakao, danthecapriman, Banger Kenny and 10 others like this
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#486 OFFLINE   Heidel_Kakao

Heidel_Kakao

• Full Members
  • 819 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationBrierley Hill

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:36 PM

I would recommend getting a distributor converted to electronic ignition by H&H ignition solutions as they do great work but I can see you have already spent way more on this thing than you originally intended to.
  • SiC likes this
1990 Proton Aeroback 1.5 GLS
1993 VW Corrado VR6
1996 Citroen XM 2.0 Turbo VSX auto estate
1996 Citroen XM 2.5TD VSX manual estate

#487 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 13,119 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:30 AM

Setting points is easy, it must be because I can do it.  With the stuff you've been tackling so far, the only thing I can see messing you up with points is trying to set the gap too perfectly.

Nice problem shooting on the alternator, those sorts of issues are always a chore to find and resolve.

• SiC likes this

#488 OFFLINE   Vince70

Vince70

• Full Members
  • 1,566 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationBexhill

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Back in the day I always found that the perfect feeler gauge for points was a rizla packet if you don’t have a set of feeler gauges to hand .

#489 OFFLINE   Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

• Full Members
  • 224 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:48 AM

1.   One thing I've noticed since owning this, everytime someone asks me about what classic car I have, I apologise and make excuses ......

2.   Sticking out of the black plastic mount is two metal locating tabs. I really don't know why they're standing proud of the mount but it means that if the bulb is fully pushed it, they contact. As (lucky or by design) the metal outside of bulb holder is the alternator field coil connection, so it's that what shorts to ground and not the ignition live. This lead the field coils unable to start up and thus not charge. The bulb lit because the casing became the ground point for the ignition live.

3.   To fix, instead of cutting off the tabs (incase they served a purpose I haven't realised for yet), I  performed a satanic goat based ritual that eliminated all wards of evil from the arse end of everything in the local postcode.......

1.  I was only 18 and 'didn't appraciate what I had' etc.... but found myself doing exactly the same - especially to the older cloth cap wearing 'proper' brigade.

2. I read - cunning articifers, magic wands, beelzebubs offspring playing hooky and a load of other tech hubbub that hurt my head - thanks for that.

3. Fixed to echo the truth..........

Top work by the way. I'd have probably blown the car up by now with the electirckery lack of knowledge I have. It shames me to admit my old man is/was a sparky and electronic engineer!

#490 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,368 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshite and Devonshite

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:00 PM

One thing I've noticed since owning this, everytime someone asks me about what classic car I have, I apologise and make excuses before I even say. Owning an MGB feels a bit like to me that you are saying that you want a classic car but don't have much idea and inspiration. Also if you speak to anyone who owns classic cars, they usually turn their nose up at MGBs. Which is probably unfair as they are very likable cars. Interestingly, I find that those who don't own a classic car and but interested in them, actually are usually positive about them.

This ^^

don't be like that

whatever you have there will someone out there to blackcat you.

I like the B-GT nice shape, nice sound and easy to fix.

Not everyone has to share the love just so long as you do.

so Say it out loud "I love my B-GT!, I am a Tiger" etc

• danthecapriman, alf892, RobT and 1 other like this

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed

Pug 307 - son's daily runner Sold to Arthur Foxhake

Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - nicked by Fathathestag might be up 4sayle soon

Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just

Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration

Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration

Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues

#491 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 6,400 posts
  • 58 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

Slipping belts when the belts are new etc is a sign of worn pullies.

Nice 'fix' with the bulb holder though, don't ya love high quality design?

#492 OFFLINE   timolloyd

timolloyd

• Full Members
  • 250 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:34 PM

In my experience unless you have something obviously glamarous and high profile (e-type, SL etc) then you always get a bit of the eye rolling towards Moggys, Heralds, Minis, MGs etc

#493 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 18,065 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

Good fix with the bulb holder I’d be on my 7th alternative before I figured that out.

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users