1974 MGB GT - The Mustard (Mit) Mobility Scooter - 6yrs ownership & the end is potentially nigh!

SiC

Have you still got the old bushes? Can you measure them and compare with the new?

Ben

I have both. The original bushes though are just fully rubber, with no inner steel tube. So the rubber can keep compressing until you compress all the rubber - no metal to stop it. The ones I was fitting are "upgraded" metalastic bushes (originally specced for the V8 MGB) with a bonded inner steel tube.

Old bushes:

351ace14d4451a0c35c546d674eb101e.jpg

New bushes: (not my picture)

post-20071-0-48342300-1508246143_thumb.jpg

Yeah I had considered that.

Bulb is 2.2w, so at 14v (2.2/14)= ~160mA - call that 200mA for a margin.

25W wirewound at 70 Ohm would also provide a certain degree of protection against fire in case of some random short circuit. It can handle being across 14V without smoking up.

The connections to the bulbs in the back of those is pretty dire at best of times, especially when the damp gets in. Blue LED in the high beam lamp also is a good one, bright enough and actually the proper blue it should be behind the little plastic "crystal".

Phil

New bushes, pair of a-arms and an assortment of bolts, washers and nuts to replace anything damaged/worn out. A great* way to spend £120. I cba even to take it out of the bag to photograph now.
b90cfa23944897ba656ed3521835c6b6.jpg

£43 for 8 small bits of rubber, a cut metal tube and some lube. I'm in the wrong business.
430c8336c6d4739a4c9af85ecf601ea6.jpg

Buy an old British car they said. It'll be fun they said.

I used stock bushes.

With the V8 bush I'd have pressed the bush to one end and shortened it, or filed the base of the castle nut a bit.

You must love spending money.

Stock bushes look like they'll be worn within a thousand miles or so ... which yes, is probably more than I'll ever do in it...

I did consider cutting the bushes down at the ends but wasn't sure the effect it'd have on the structure on them and if it would weaken them, being that its part of the structure of the bush. Right now I just want to get the thing working, so I don't mind throwing a bit more cash to make that job easier/quicker.

Also Moss are excellent in their returns policy. As long as its in a resalable condition and you have the receipt, they'll take it back for a full refund within a year. As the store is local, I don't have any postage fees to do that either. Makes it a bit less painful paying Moss prices and overbuying.

So I could use the V8 bushes still and return these. However I suspect my life will be a lot less painful just using these. I do like the idea of using V8 bushes though, as potentially softer and more original.

With nylock you tighten and forget, just make sure there's a small amount of thread at least protruding beyond the end of the bolt otherwise an eagle eyed tester will fail you as the bolts are technically insecure if there's no thread visible at the end.

Is this likely going to be a problem? It's the nyloc nut positioned on the a-arm.

2ceddd7f7d3af946acbdec8b0df413a0.jpg

Going by the dimensions, it won't be possible to leave a few threads visible.

Damaged A-arm off. Most of the damage looks to be the castle nut rather than the thread on the a-arm. No point taking any risks though, in case I stretched stuff and weaken the metal shaft. 2 bolts were tight on one side. Other side really loose!

I really need to make a decision about these bushes asap now. Coming to the point I need to decide. beffa91bc4ca729565f14e4d2ce92b99.jpg0d3862b4655823f19d1f561102ef37f4.jpg

Just going back to the £120 you spent with MOSS, 43 quid for the bushes, the pivot arms are 23 quid each, so that's 89 quid. Thirty one quid for assorted nuts and bolts, are they gold plated ? As we say up here, "how fucking much ??!!"

Fuck me sideways, they saw you coming didn't they. Think I spent 10 quid with a local firm, Bapp for Bolts for several slack handfulls of different size UNF nuts & bolts. There's enough left to do both my GT's and Mr six-cylinders as well.

I trust MOSS will send you a nice Xmas card and invite you to their Xmas staff piss up.

Fuck me sideways, they saw you coming didn't they. Think I spent 10 quid with a local firm, Bapp for Bolts for several slack handfulls of different size UNF nuts & bolts. There's enough left to do both my GT's and Mr six-cylinders as well.

I trust MOSS will send you a nice Xmas card and invite you to their Xmas staff piss up.

Bapp are good.

I went in a few years ago for a half width lock nut to fit the stem on my Bonnie, the bloke spent 10mins finding one & then said just have it, it's nice to see those old bikes used.