320coupe's e36 320i auto

320touring

Looks very similar to mine!

Although is that Boston green or Laguna green like mine, even has the 328 wheels like mine has, it probably would have started out life with the bottle tops like mine did!

Plus if you get bored with it as an auto then then can be converted like mine did!

What are e cloth seats like, are they the cloth sports ones?

I sometimes regret getting rid of mine and putting the vadars in instead, although the Vadars are now worth a few quid apparently!

The m50 is definitely a bullet proof engine, with a cam chain that can actually last the lifetime of the car unlike the new stuff that lasts about 70 thou....

Steve

Looks very similar to mine!

Although is that Boston green or Laguna green like mine, even has the 328 wheels like mine has, it probably would have started out life with the bottle tops like mine did!

I dunno, these wheels were optional when it was new, my brothers 328 had them too.

Plus if you get bored with it as an auto then then can be converted like mine did!

Nup, the slushbox is well mated to the 2.0- its a stress free way to tick off miles!

What are e cloth seats like, are they the cloth sports ones?

I sometimes regret getting rid of mine and putting the vadars in instead, although the Vadars are now worth a few quid apparently!

post-17572-0-58910200-1502485486_thumb.jpg

Bone basic cloth seats, comfortable with plenty adjustment.. Vader's are lovely though:)

The m50 is definitely a bullet proof engine, with a cam chain that can actually last the lifetime of the car unlike the new stuff that lasts about 70 thou....

Steve

They are a nice engine- few too many valves to be perfic (12ftw!!) But good can chains and relatively few weaknesses

I'm rather liking this, especially the armchair like spec :)

Yeah its right where I want it to be on the comfort/economy scale:)

You've been robbed of it only has 12 valves, it should have 24!

What a good looking car the E36 coupe is, well bought. That engine should be creamy smooth and last forever.

I was referring to the fact it didn't have an m20 in it;) I'm a 2v per cyl man at heart!

Yeah the engine seems sweet

Bit of a daft afternoon with this after working on the e30.

Went to Asda and bought new wipers as old ones were shit.

Put them on, and skooshed triumphantly...only to find that they were worse than the old ones!

Removing the covers from the blades worked wonders- neither I nor my bro had noticed them

post-17572-0-09891000-1502565113_thumb.jpg

Then later on a big spider crawled out the centre vents and nearly made me pat ma shants..

My first E36 was a K reg non vanos (yo) 320i Auto, 234'000 miles. It was lush and with the OBC you could play games with the instantaneous MPG readout. It was epic on fuel on a long run because the gearing was spot on - much nicer than the low geared revvy manuals.

Currently reviving a 1994 520iA with the same powerplant/trans.

Boston green can be bought in aersehole cans at Halfordz 4 cheap tidying.

My first E36 was a K reg non vanos (yo) 320i Auto, 234'000 miles. It was lush and with the OBC you could play games with the instantaneous MPG readout. It was epic on fuel on a long run because the gearing was spot on - much nicer than the low geared revvy manuals.

Currently reviving a 1994 520iA with the same powerplant/trans.

Boston green can be bought in aersehole cans at Halfordz 4 cheap tidying.

Tremendous knowledge as per:) #approved.

Its just a nice place to be

1 week and 630 miles in..

Things I love:

Non squeaking suspension

RWDnativity

Armrests are for winners!

Silky smooth 6pot and auto gearbox

Acceptable fuel consumption

#coupestyle

Crooze Kuntroll

Things that need sorting:

Bonnet catch grumpiness

Brakes could do with a bleed and potential rear pads

Rear dampers need changing

Drivers window inop

Elec mirrors inop

Dreaded barrel roll ignition issue

Could do with a service

All in all, it has most of the comfort of the LS400, most of the frugality of the Alfa 156 and most of the chuckability of the Clio 182.

I like it:)

Dreaded barrel roll ignition issue

20 minute free fix.

Drop the lower plastic cowling. 

Twist the plastic EWS ring around slightly so that you can access the flat area directly under that sticky out bit where the EWS wires plug in. With a small drill, drill up into the lock on that flat. You'll feel the drill going in once, twice but not three times a Lady. Insert a small self tapper and wind it in with the key in but in the off position where it can be removed or inserted. A few turns of the screw and you'll notice the lock spin has stopped and the switch works as normal. Too far and it will jam up so back it off. I wind the screw in until it goes stiff and back off until it's perfect.

Job done. Fixed. FOC.

The red square marks the spot for drillage.

post-3069-0-44996300-1503267854_thumb.jpg

20 minute free fix.

Drop the lower plastic cowling.

Twist the plastic EWS ring around slightly so that you can access the flat area directly under that sticky out bit where the EWS wires plug in. With a small drill, drill up into the lock on that flat. You'll feel the drill going in once, twice but not three times a Lady. Insert a small self tapper and wind it in with the key in but in the off position where it can be removed or inserted. A few turns of the screw and you'll notice the lock spin has stopped and the switch works as normal. Too far and it will jam up so back it off. I wind the screw in until it goes stiff and back off until it's perfect.

Job done. Fixed. FOC.

Cheers for that I'd already scoped out that, and am waiting for a day I don't need the car to try:)

Will it be complicated by the fact that the back of the ignition barrel (the actual switch) is mounted here:

post-17572-0-39145900-1503267912_thumb.jpg

Or will that just pop back on the barrel?

It it works, don't fix it!

You car is Jan 95 and it may not have EWS as that was changeover month. You may find it has the plastic EWS ring but no wiring to it.

Lol! Spoken like a true BMW owner;) its a PITA as immob is other side. I shall check for EWS wiring when I get the chance