Best car check app/site?

Pillock

What sites or phone apps does everyone use to check car details?

The gov.uk vehicle checker no longer needs a make, just a registration... But no longer tells you a model, and only gives the month of first reg.

The gov.uk MOT site tells you the model but very little else apart from MOT history.

Totalcarcheck used to be great but now doesn't see anything historic... Eg I can use the gov sites to find my grandparents old Cortina, last taxed 1992, but TCC doesn't think it exists. When it works though it's fab and shows BHP, MOT history, actual date of registration etc.

Any recommendations?

I tend to use totalcarcheck.co.uk for general checking. You need to login to get the MOT history, but easy enough to make an account. For more info you can pay £2 and get previous owner change dates/written off/stolen/etc. It costs more for a finance check, but for the chod we look at, generally not worth the extra cost imo.

www.cardatachecks.co.uk is good for quickly checking the number of former keepers too.

Cazana for the mot and owners check

If you want to find out if it's a CAT D or CAT C if you enter the details into autotrader as if it's your car and you're selling it , a page or two in it'll tell you they need to advertise is as a CAT C or D if it's been previously written off

I use vehicle smart on my phone to remind me of impending mots and other stuff.

+1. Vehicle Smart is quite a handy wee app for looking up the basic Doovla data and MoT history and lets you keep a "garage" of regs for keeping track of tax/MoT expiry. You can also do extended vehicle checks from the app (for a fee of course).

• 2 years later...
17 minutes ago, dave j said:

It seems there is a lot less info available for free now. I know Carzana used to show number plate changes but doesn't any more. What's the best one out there now? 

This is exactly why I used to use Cazana. It was really interested to see what plates they used to have/ were registered with.

If anyone is interested in information sites I do recommend you keep an eye on my Invacar thread, I dig up the odd 1 or 2 in my search for a site that can pull chassis numbers for my Model 70 research :) 

http://www.cardatachecks.co.uk/carcheck/lookup.php  if you dig around in the source code it does still shows what plates the vehicle has had  :)

likewise if anyone does come across a website that can pull chassis numbers from a vehicles registration number let me know!

(bonus points if it can pull Chassis numbers even if the vehicle has not been taxed since before 2001)

19 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

If anyone is interested in information sites I do recommend you keep an eye on my Invacar thread, I dig up the odd 1 or 2 in my search for a site that can pull chassis numbers for my Model 70 research :) 

http://www.cardatachecks.co.uk/carcheck/lookup.php  if you dig around in the source code it does still shows what plates the vehicle has had  :)

likewise if anyone does come across a website that can pull chassis numbers from a vehicles registration number let me know!

(bonus points if it can pull Chassis numbers even if the vehicle has not been taxed since before 2001)

I have no idea what source code is but it sounds interesting! Can a technophobe like me do that? 

2 hours ago, dave j said:

I have no idea what source code is but it sounds interesting! Can a technophobe like me do that? 

as seen here https://autoshite.com/topic/32723-invacar-model-70-acquired-and-general-ramble-thread-index-on-page-1-phase-2-finding-a-suitable-driving-schoolinstructor-getting-lessons-and-a-licence/page/62/

if you input your registration and then right click the web page, click view page source, and then depending on if your on a Mac or windows PC either command  F or control F to search the source code, then search for "cherished" and it should take you to the section where all the vehicles previous registration marks are

if a vehicle has never been plate raped or has never had a diffrent reg put onto it then that entire section wont be there

hopefully this helps :)