Ebay tat

GrumpyCat

Aye, but for what that's likely to make you could get a decent 760/940 diseasel with the much more useful turbo engine. Those non-blown 240 diesels are not a fast vehicle as they are (although the six-pot VW engine is smooth and they do have an "unstoppable" feel to them) - hook a caravan or a car transporter trailer on the back and they really struggle - and because you've got your foot to the floor the whole time they're not particularly economical either (although they normally manage fairly well on veg oil) It's nice, but I wouldn't want to pay over the odds for it.By the way, given that the diesel engine in these is a straight-6, shouldn't they technically be 260s?

Just been to have a butcher's at this.

Posted Image

I'm going to have to lay off the booze for the next week or so or I might find myself ending up as its proud new owner (with nowhere to put it and no way of getting it home). It's a wonderful old thing - yes it needs a LOT of work (sills are more or less completely gone, there's a few holes in the floor (although none of them are huge) and the chassis rails will need patching up) but it's all there, the main body panels are saveable, it rolls, the steering's nice and tight and I genuinely think it could be put back on the road by someone who can weld. Mr. B, if you're still thinking about it, I think this is a much more realistic A-framing prospect than your last one - from what little I could see in a dark barn with a crap LED torch the front wishbones are still solidly anchored to the van - couldn't really see the back ones due to a pile of wood in the way but I don't think anything's about to fall off - and the van rolls freely - brakes aren't stuck on or owt. It'd need some wheels though as there's only one half-decent tyre on it - one is shredded and the other two look like they are holding air but I wouldn't want to go too far on them. I'm just fervently hoping that it doesn't get bought by an amateur plate rapist who, once he realises that the plate isn't with the van any more, weighs it in for scrap. That would be quite literally a crying shame. I just hope the bidding doesn't go too stupid - apparently there's been interest in the van from as far afield as the US, although we all know that eBay interest doesn't always translate into a successful sale. I'm going to have to spend the weekend trying to come up with reasons why I can't have it, otherwise I'm going to end up bidding on it.

A 2.4-litre 3-pot diesel? Bet that's smooth... :shock:

Perkins still make a 3-cyl engine, 3.3l in turbo or non-turbo flavour, oldschool mechanical injector pump too. They seem amazingly smooth to me but are not great revvers! The most powerful one (1103D-33TA) is 80bhp, check it out here:http://www.perkins.com/cda/layout?m=97268&x=7

Quite.It's the "beardy oddball freak" engine of choice though. I've even seen one in a P6 Rover, where a V8 should live. THE HORROR.

:shock: WHY??? Why would you do something like that? If you're beardy and oddball enough to have an irrepressible urge to own a Perkins-engined P6, surely you'd fit a Prima or something that is actually designed for a car? Besides which an engine like that is going to be all out at 2000rpm, which on standard P6 gearing would give the thing a top speed of about 40. :roll:

Despite it's large (and rightly so) price tag, that van thing is still "proper shite" on account of it's horrific looks and doubtless vile driving experience.

There was a 1956 Trojan diesel van at the ECA show/auction last weekend. Not the same model as that one, but I imagine the mechanicals were pretty similar. That had a top speed (when new) of 40mph. And that's if you can stand the aural assault of a 3-pot Perkins diesel running flat out inches from your left foot. My old Commer Walkthrough van was deafeningly noisy at its 50mph top speed, and that was a 4.236 - a relatively quiet engine by Perkins standards. These people who drive heroic distances to shows at the other end of the country in these ancient commercial vehicles are either true heroes or complete head cases. Mind you, that Estafette I just ent to see used to take a family of 6 plus luggage and a trailer tent down to Italy every summer... :?

Expect to see it stotting and bouncing down the road soon due to having its suspension removed, plus one of those feathery bead mascot things hanging from the mirror.

I passed a Scirocco earlier that had been the subject of a suspensionectomy. Looked ridiculous, didn't go round corners and was almost certainly spine-jarringly uncomfortable. Why do they do it?

Posted Image

Mmmmm. Tasty! I had an opportunity to buy one of these a few years back from that Suffolk-baed purveyor of tat, Barretts of Aldeby. Think he wanted £425 for it, but it was all up and running (although just out of test). It was on an H plate and painted in a fetching shade of dark metallic turquoise. I didn't buy it as I was banned from driving at the time and the temptation of having a running and driving HB lying around would have been too great to resist. It's one car I regret having had to pass on.

I viewed a Land Rover with a 4.236 in it a couple of yar ago. The thing apparently strong enough to pull down a house, but a top speed of 42mph all-out I just would not have been able to bear. Christ the 50mph "cruising speed" of a 2.25 petrol was depressing enough...

Aye, well a 4.236 redlines at about 2500, so on standard L-R gearing it's not going to be a quick experience. Overdrive would help some - the engine's got enough grunt to pull fairly high gearing. My first Dodge 50 recovery lorry had a 4.236, and that would manage 64 flat out, which was quite adequate and meant it would hum along at 56 with the artics quite happily with a bit left in reserve. A Land Rover with a 4.236 in low range would tow start a freight train. Speaking of odd engines, have you seen that Youtube vid of the Mk1 Granada with a Deltic diesel under the bonnet? I'll have to see if I cna find it again.

Ooh, leather. 8) That one looks nicer than mine, but you can never be too sure with 166's. I think I'll be hanging on to mine for now as I know it's a reasonably good one - as good as a 166 in that kind of price bracket is ever going to be. It's stereoless at the moment as the battery went flat and the ICS is now asking for a code - and needless to say I don't have the code card any more. Other than that it's been behaving itself though. I think if it passes its MoT reasonably easily I'll keep mine for another year - I'd been thinking about flogging it and buying a V6 but to be honest the 2-litre is adequately powerful and does a lot better on fuel than a V6 would. Plus if I want to go fast I have a choice of two turbocharged Saabs, plus the Volvo 460 (whose clutch has now settled down enough to see off a 55-plate Saab 9-3 on the A47 - I think the slipping was partly due to having stood for so long) and the Renner Nine, so a V6 Alfa would be surplus to requirements.

Guest greenvanman

I viewed a Land Rover with a 4.236 in it a couple of yar ago. The thing apparently strong enough to pull down a house, but a top speed of 42mph all-out I just would not have been able to bear. Christ the 50mph "cruising speed" of a 2.25 petrol was depressing enough...

I bet it eats gearboxes and rear axles too, if my 4.203 engined 109" was anything to go by.